Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2015, 09:11 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default For Those of You with A 24/48 Rule

would you mind sharing your wording? I know what it means but am having trouble putting it on paper.

If they are sent home for the 48, still require 24 hours symptom free?

Also, how would you handle if you turned a child away at the door due to illness? 24 or 48?

Any other scenarios I should think of?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
would you mind sharing your wording? I know what it means but am having trouble putting it on paper.

If they are sent home for the 48, still require 24 hours symptom free?

They are sent home until they have been symptom free for 48 hours....might take 3 days before that happens...


Also, how would you handle if you turned a child away at the door due to illness? 24 or 48?

If they are turned away at the door, I would use the 48 hour rule because a parent tried to pull a fast one. At the door or after lunch, they still showed up and got sent home FROM care...kwim?

Any other scenarios I should think of?
I replied in blue above too..


Here is how it reads in my handbook:

Children need to be symptom free for a FULL 24 hours without the use of OTC medications before re-admittance to care.

Please use your best discretion when deciding whether or not to send your child to care. We are very active during the day.

If your child is unable to participate in normal daily activities or requires more care and attention than the provider is able to give, they should not attend.

In an effort to reduce the continuation of germs and illnesses being passed back and forth your child will be excluded for 48 hours AFTER symptoms dissipate if they have been sent to care when ill. This policy is strictly followed and requires parental observation and assessment at home BEFORE deciding to bring your child to care.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2015, 09:45 AM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,273
Default

I always used the -a full day fever medication free.Ever since a parent brought their child at 3 pm for the last 3 hours of the day.They claimed that 24 hours were up ,Dad needed a break.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:01 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I replied in blue above too..


Here is how it reads in my handbook:

Children need to be symptom free for a FULL 24 hours without the use of OTC medications before re-admittance to care.

Please use your best discretion when deciding whether or not to send your child to care. We are very active during the day.

If your child is unable to participate in normal daily activities or requires more care and attention than the provider is able to give, they should not attend.

In an effort to reduce the continuation of germs and illnesses being passed back and forth your child will be excluded for 48 hours AFTER symptoms dissipate if they have been sent to care when ill. This policy is strictly followed and requires parental observation and assessment at home BEFORE deciding to bring your child to care.
Symptom free for 48? Wow. Guess I didn't understand it. I would have just had them home for at least 48 and symptom free for 24.

How do you monitor that, though? I guess the same way with 24 exclusion.

I am guessing it just puts the ball in the parents' court to be more proactive in keeping sick children home. Which is what I am aiming for.

Makes sense, though, because if we are sending home for an illness that 'starts' here, generally it takes more than a day for the worst of it to pass.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:02 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieteddy View Post
I always used the -a full day fever medication free.Ever since a parent brought their child at 3 pm for the last 3 hours of the day.They claimed that 24 hours were up ,Dad needed a break.
I don't even have a response for that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
Symptom free for 48? Wow. Guess I didn't understand it. I would have just had them home for at least 48 and symptom free for 24.

How do you monitor that, though? I guess the same way with 24 exclusion.

I am guessing it just puts the ball in the parents' court to be more proactive in keeping sick children home. Which is what I am aiming for.

Makes sense, though, because if we are sending home for an illness that 'starts' here, generally it takes more than a day for the worst of it to pass.
BINGO!!!!

Like I am always saying I am big on parental responsibilities and provider responsibilities and I rarely let the two blur.

If your (general you) child is sick, 99% of the time you (as the parent) know full well if you should send them to care or not.

I used to get a ton of "Well I thought we'd see if he could make it through the day" type of stuff.... really?!?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default (Parental responsibility)

It's another reason I don't serve breakfast here and require the kids to have had breakfast at home before arriving.

Our first snack of the day is at 9

Doing it that way forces the parent to get up, feed their kid and while doing that, assess their child for behavior, mood and anything else that may exclude them from care.

I got tired of getting kids straight from their beds with hardly a diaper change.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 12-07-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:14 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

Thanks! I am switching this up in the New Year.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:21 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieteddy View Post
I always used the -a full day fever medication free.Ever since a parent brought their child at 3 pm for the last 3 hours of the day.They claimed that 24 hours were up ,Dad needed a break.
I had a parent try that. I too had to change it to read your child will be excluded from care the next following day all day and can return when completely free of all symptoms without the aid of mediation.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Rockgirl's Avatar
Rockgirl Rockgirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieteddy View Post
I always used the -a full day fever medication free.Ever since a parent brought their child at 3 pm for the last 3 hours of the day.They claimed that 24 hours were up ,Dad needed a break.
I wish I could say this is shocking, but sadly, it isn't.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2015, 01:08 PM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Great tips! I've been looking for a revamp in my sick policies and I am updating them soon. I have new dck's coming from homes with nannies and I have to make it clear that sick care is not in my job description.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sick policy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enforcing A 24/48 Hour Rule For Part Timers? finsup Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 04-02-2015 07:07 PM
Calcification of 50% Bonus Depreciation Rule Expires Jennifer91 Daycare and Taxes 1 12-30-2013 10:48 AM
Those That Have A "Don't Touch The Baby" Rule EntropyControlSpecialist Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 22 08-03-2013 03:08 PM
New IRS Rule Makes Dramatic Changes TomCopeland Daycare and Taxes 14 02-22-2013 11:35 AM
2012 Deprecation Rule...Question for Tom frugalmama4 Daycare and Taxes 3 02-15-2013 11:26 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming