Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seriously?
Jack Sprat 11:28 AM 12-08-2015
Dcb who is 14m was sick the past four days. Fever and vomiting. Dcm kept him home yesterday as he felt warm on Sunday and was cranky and tired (he is a cranky child in general so this must have been extremely cranky). She took him to the local dr and was told he had an ear infection. She was given a script for drops.

So today he arrives and was okay for the first 20 minutes. Then he screamed for the next hour. He took his morning nap, slept for about 55 minutes. Got up and screamed non-stop for over an hour. I texted Dcm (per her instructions on contacting her). No reply. So I call her explain the situation and tell her she needs to pick up. Well, next a get text saying our local pharmacy didn't have the drops the dr. prescribed and she had to stop at another pharmacy to pick them up. Now, she got this script yesterday morning. The other pharmacy is 15 minutes from here. WTH??? On top of that he has a rash on his trunk, arms, back and upper thighs. She said the Dr. didn't mention anything about the rash, and today she was going to call his pediatrician (different from the Dr. he saw yesterday) and get him in to be seen.

I'm pretty pissed that he was diagnosed with an ear infection yet, she did nothing with the script she was given yesterday. When we texted about the whole situation yesterday I told her fever/vomit free 24hrs (he was according to her) and at least two doses of his antibiotic if he was given one. Her reply "Sounds good".

I'm not sure if he should come tomorrow. He isn't running a fever, but if tomorrow is like this morning then he needs to be at home.
childcaremom 11:37 AM 12-08-2015
24 hours symptom free. I would exclude tomorrow. I tell parents that eating normally, playing, napping well before coming back to care. I would have called for pick up after 30 mins of screaming, knowing that he had been out with an ear infection.

I would also consider terming as you had instructed her to have 2 doses of meds in him and he didn't. If I felt that she had tried to evade me in any way, I would term or at least give a strict warning that any other monkey business would be her walking papers.
Rockgirl 11:37 AM 12-08-2015
Wonder if they ran a strep test. The rash on his trunk makes me think of that.
Jack Sprat 11:47 AM 12-08-2015
I mentioned strep to her when she told me about the rash, and nope they didn't run a test. I would think the pediatrician would do so.

I am going to let her know she needs to keep him home tomorrow, as I was under the assumption that he had antibiotics. I have been contemplating terming for sometime. He is an incredibly difficult child. Lots of crying and screaming even when he feels well. He had two weeks where he was great and I thought we had turned a corner. Then I read Dcm's FB and see that he is like that at home and is only happy when allowed to do what he wants. Which she is okay with as long as he is happy. That is whole other story...
Unregistered 01:29 PM 12-08-2015
I do 24 hours after 1st dose of antibiotics. Maybe update your policy??

I had a dcg with the flu and THEN got a body rash. Dr. said it was from the virus.
Josiegirl 02:49 PM 12-08-2015
Please help me understand this and I'm not meaning to be rude or anything so hope I don't ask this the wrong way.
I know usually they give meds for ear infections but it's not necessary in all cases. Being on antibiotics for ear infections is to get rid of the ear infection. But ear infections are not contagious, right? So do you instill the 24 hr. rule to make sure there are no reactions from the medication?
The rash would have me worried but then as someone mentioned that could be a body's reaction to the virus, which the antibiotic isn't supposed to help, right?
I guess I'm more confused than anything.
childcaremom 03:04 PM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Please help me understand this and I'm not meaning to be rude or anything so hope I don't ask this the wrong way.
I know usually they give meds for ear infections but it's not necessary in all cases. Being on antibiotics for ear infections is to get rid of the ear infection. But ear infections are not contagious, right? So do you instill the 24 hr. rule to make sure there are no reactions from the medication?
The rash would have me worried but then as someone mentioned that could be a body's reaction to the virus, which the antibiotic isn't supposed to help, right?
I would exclude for being unable to participate. Feeling unwell and being irritable would be my reason.

If the child was acting fine and able to participate, I wouldn't exclude and they would be fine to return to care once they have been on antibiotics for 24 hours.

I have 24 hour rule for antibiotics to make sure that any reactions happen on parent time and also give them a chance to kick in before the child returns to care.
Jack Sprat 11:52 AM 12-09-2015

No, it isn't necessary.No they aren't contagious. Yes, I am changing my policy on the antibiotic part. However, she said he was given the script and said he had been taking them. He was sent home because he was unable to participate, and the rash. He wasn't treated with the antibiotic at all before he came to daycare...And no offense taken at all.

So...Dcm took dcb to the pediatrician yesterday. He said his ears were fine, throat fine, everything looked good and the rash looked like roseola. He also said not to give him the ear drops. She explained his behavior etc. Dr. said he may just not feel good and he advised keeping him home today, so he could have another day of rest. She did ask if she could bring him after she told me what Dr. said. I told her no, she needed to take the Dr's advice.
Ariana 11:55 AM 12-09-2015
I exclude because if a child has an ear infection they are in a lot of pain and can't participate. Viral ear infections are the worst because you can't treat them. The virus however is contagious and comes in cold form long before the ear infection pops up. This is why I exclude for green mucousy snot. Excluding for things other than very mild cold symptoms is always the best idea for preventing all sorts of nasty colds/flus from being passed around.
Jack Sprat 12:24 PM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I exclude because if a child has an ear infection they are in a lot of pain and can't participate. Viral ear infections are the worst because you can't treat them. The virus however is contagious and comes in cold form long before the ear infection pops up. This is why I exclude for green mucousy snot. Excluding for things other than very mild cold symptoms is always the best idea for preventing all sorts of nasty colds/flus from being passed around.
Yes!!! This is what I have been telling parents.
Tags:sick policy, sickness policy
Reply Up