Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-09-2016, 12:45 PM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,379
Default For Those Who Have Employees

What pre-employment training do you pay for? In my state an employee (assistant) has to have current first aid/cpr, a physical, a tb test, a background check before working in the daycare as well as blood borne pathogen training within 90 days of hire. Those are the ones that cost money. They also have to have safe sleep training, shaken baby syndrome training, and a department of human services background check-but those are all free.

Adding it all up it runs between $200 & $250 just to begin employment. I have NO problem paying this I'm just wondering what the norm is for pre-employment training.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2016, 01:24 PM
sahm1225's Avatar
sahm1225 sahm1225 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest - where winter never ends!
Posts: 2,022
Default

I have the background check, tb test and physical completed before they get hired. The first aid/cpr I pay for after they get hired and isually when they've been with me for about 6 months.
The cost is something I claim on my taxes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2016, 02:20 PM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
I have the background check, tb test and physical completed before they get hired. The first aid/cpr I pay for after they get hired and isually when they've been with me for about 6 months.
The cost is something I claim on my taxes.
So do they initially pay for the first aid/cpr then you pay them back? In my state they have to have it before beginning employment.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2016, 03:15 PM
ColorfulSunburst's Avatar
ColorfulSunburst ColorfulSunburst is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bronx, New York
Posts: 643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trummynme View Post
So do they initially pay for the first aid/cpr then you pay them back? In my state they have to have it before beginning employment.
it is not simple to find an employee who fits. If I pay from my pocket for all of them I would have lost a lot of money.
If an assistant has been with me for 6 months I can pay her back.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2016, 03:30 PM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst View Post
it is not simple to find an employee who fits. If I pay from my pocket for all of them I would have lost a lot of money.
If an assistant has been with me for 6 months I can pay her back.
Yeah I just learned that the hard way. I just wasn't sure what the norm was. I'll be moving to the pay back after 6 months.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2016, 04:10 PM
sahm1225's Avatar
sahm1225 sahm1225 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest - where winter never ends!
Posts: 2,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trummynme View Post
So do they initially pay for the first aid/cpr then you pay them back? In my state they have to have it before beginning employment.
We're required to have just one person with first aid & cpr (that would be me). I typically put in my hiring ads that I'm looking for someone who has first aid & cpr preferred.

If I was you, then I would have them pay and you can credit them back on their 90 day review? But I'm not sure if that's allowed.
Part of me thinks you can just make it part of the hiring process that they need those qualifications. It's something they keep even if they leave, so it's required certification.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2016, 04:40 PM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
We're required to have just one person with first aid & cpr (that would be me). I typically put in my hiring ads that I'm looking for someone who has first aid & cpr preferred.

If I was you, then I would have them pay and you can credit them back on their 90 day review? But I'm not sure if that's allowed.
Part of me thinks you can just make it part of the hiring process that they need those qualifications. It's something they keep even if they leave, so it's required certification.
I'll have to look into it more. I tried making it part of the hiring process the first time around and nobody who contacted me to interview had it. Most people around here don't. But I'm willing to try it again this time around.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Former Teacher's Avatar
Former Teacher Former Teacher is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst View Post
it is not simple to find an employee who fits. If I pay from my pocket for all of them I would have lost a lot of money.
If an assistant has been with me for 6 months I can pay her back.
My former center director spent a small fortune on CPR classes, notarized statements, background checks etc. Finally after 3 or 4 people who didn't follow through with an actual employment, she decided that the employees would pay for everything and then after 90 days (probation period) she would reimburse the employee.

Simple solution!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-2016, 08:45 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Teacher View Post
My former center director spent a small fortune on CPR classes, notarized statements, background checks etc. Finally after 3 or 4 people who didn't follow through with an actual employment, she decided that the employees would pay for everything and then after 90 days (probation period) she would reimburse the employee.

Simple solution!
This is exactly what I do. I require my employees to have everything. I reimbursem after the probationary period. Sometimes they don't start or aren't the right fit.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-10-2016, 11:18 AM
snbauser's Avatar
snbauser snbauser is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385
Default

I always made the background check, cpr/first aid and tb test a requirement in order to be hired. Those are the requirements in order to be left alone with the kids and although initially I wouldn't plan on leaving them alone, you never know when something will come up. After 3 months if they were still with me I would reimburse them as long as they gave me the receipts. After they had been there for 3 months I would also pay for any annual training they needed and for recertification in cpr/first aid.

It may be harder to find someone with those requirements, but honestly if they want the job, they will do it. And if they don't want to do it, then chances are they are the type that wouldn't last long anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-10-2016, 12:21 PM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,379
Default

Thank you to everyone who responded. I hired my first official employee early this year and paid for everything. She is amazing and I couldn't ask for a better employee. Unfortunately life has thrown her a curve ball and she's moving on. I completely understand why she's making this decision and in her shoes I would probably do the same thing. I can't fault her for trying to make life more comfortable for herself.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

I agree with a reimbursement down the line. Otherwise I could see how it could be costly for you. Or if you wanted, you could pay part now and the rest later.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-10-2016, 04:31 PM
BumbleBee's Avatar
BumbleBee BumbleBee is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
I agree with a reimbursement down the line. Otherwise I could see how it could be costly for you. Or if you wanted, you could pay part now and the rest later.
I'm thinking I will repay 1/2 after 90 days and the other 1/2 after 6 months. I'm working on a post in the private area with more details about what is going on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
assistant, costs, employee, employee - training, pre-employment training, training

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Employees winkiedee Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 05-21-2014 09:52 AM
Ever Get Mad At Your Employees? Christina72684 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 05-15-2014 03:38 PM
How To Handle With Parents And Employees daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 11-18-2013 11:30 AM
Help Wording Letter to Employees Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 11-11-2013 10:01 AM
Employees winkiedee Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 07-08-2012 05:15 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming