Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2020, 10:04 AM
Msdunny's Avatar
Msdunny Msdunny is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 446
Default Exclusion for RSV?

The baby I mentioned in yesterday’s post (Mom wanted me to let her sleep in a rock and play, brings her girls sick often) was diagnosed today with RSV. I sent her home yesterday because she was so miserable, and mom said she was running a fever when they got home. she was one of the sickest babies I have ever been around.

She was diagnosed today (Friday). Would you exclude her on Monday? I am going to do some research today, but thought some of you may already have a policy in place for it I could consider.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2020, 10:23 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdunny View Post
The baby I mentioned in yesterday’s post (Mom wanted me to let her sleep in a rock and play, brings her girls sick often) was diagnosed today with RSV. I sent her home yesterday because she was so miserable, and mom said she was running a fever when they got home. she was one of the sickest babies I have ever been around.

She was diagnosed today (Friday). Would you exclude her on Monday? I am going to do some research today, but thought some of you may already have a policy in place for it I could consider.
Personally given the danger involved with infants and RSV, I'd exclude until she was 100% better. Not 75% or even 90% but 100% better.

Too risky and not something I would want to monitor in an infant. Especially one in which you don't know if the parent is or isn't drugging before drop off.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2020, 10:34 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Here is a free childcare exclusion chart to print/download. https://www.in.gov/fssa/files/Commun...art%202017.pdf

RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus)

Disease & incubation
1-10 days

Signs/symptoms
Fever, runny nose, cough, and sometimes wheezing. May exhibit rapid or labored breathing with cyanotic (blue) episodes.

How transmitted
The virus spread from resp. secretion (sneezing, coughing) through close contact with infected persons or contaminated surfaces or objects.

When communicable
Just prior to symptoms and when febrile Exclude only if condition interferes with participation (rapid or labored breathing, or cyanotic episodes) or care of others.

Frequent and proper handwashing, sanitize all contaminated articles. Do not share items such as cups, glasses and utensils. Proper disposal of tissue when used for nasal and respiratory secretions.

I personally exclude for 24 after fever and symptom-free, a minimum of 48 hours if I sent home. Fever/symptom free plus 24 hours.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2020, 04:44 PM
Msdunny's Avatar
Msdunny Msdunny is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 446
Default

I emailed mom, asking her to keep the baby and sister home next week. I told her I would not charge for the week. Told her I was concerned for other babies. She responded that I was putting her in a tough position, which I understand. I responded that she was putting me in a tough position by asking me to expose my other dcks to such a rough virus. It would be different if I could trust her to be honest with me concerning fevers and other symptoms, but they use too many over the counter cover-up medicines.

My husband is calling for their 2 week notice! He was so mad when that sick baby was dropped of Thursday morning.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2020, 05:19 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdunny View Post
I emailed mom, asking her to keep the baby and sister home next week. I told her I would not charge for the week. Told her I was concerned for other babies. She responded that I was putting her in a tough position, which I understand. I responded that she was putting me in a tough position by asking me to expose my other dcks to such a rough virus. It would be different if I could trust her to be honest with me concerning fevers and other symptoms, but they use too many over the counter cover-up medicines.

My husband is calling for their 2 week notice! He was so mad when that sick baby was dropped of Thursday morning.
YOU aren’t putting mom in a tough spot

If mom had reliable back like she is suppose to have then she wouldn’t be in a tough spot.

Parents are tough to manage sometimes
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:39 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
YOU aren’t putting mom in a tough spot

If mom had reliable back like she is suppose to have then she wouldn’t be in a tough spot.

Parents are tough to manage sometimes
Exactly! This mom has a family. Managing her family is HER problem, not yours. She has put HERSELF in a tight spot by assuming daycares will care for her sick kids and not having reliable backup.

Love the try hard guilt trip though don’t you? It’s YOUR fault, you solve my problem
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2020, 10:01 AM
Msdunny's Avatar
Msdunny Msdunny is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Exactly! This mom has a family. Managing her family is HER problem, not yours. She has put HERSELF in a tight spot by assuming daycares will care for her sick kids and not having reliable backup.

Love the try hard guilt trip though don’t you? It’s YOUR fault, you solve my problem
Oh definitely! She did not like my reply that she was putting ME in a tough spot by exposing my other kids to such an aggressive virus. The only reply I got from her was the thumbs up emoji. My dh said to double check to make sure it was the thumb and not middle finger.

I just saw on Facebook that the baby is now in the hospital. Mom doesn't know that I know (I saw the post because a mutual friend commented), so I am curious to see if she tells me.

I am tightening my illness policy (again!) and really just considered that this family also forgets the epipen for the older sis, who has a nut and egg allergy. So I am adding a paragragh excluding for not having life saving medications on hand,and have added a statement saying I reserve the right to exclude for an amount of time that I determine warranted based on the virus. I am seriously going to have the tightest, most descriptive illness policy in town, simply based on everything I have to add FOR THIS ONE FAMILY!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2020, 07:21 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdunny View Post
Oh definitely! She did not like my reply that she was putting ME in a tough spot by exposing my other kids to such an aggressive virus. The only reply I got from her was the thumbs up emoji. My dh said to double check to make sure it was the thumb and not middle finger.

I just saw on Facebook that the baby is now in the hospital. Mom doesn't know that I know (I saw the post because a mutual friend commented), so I am curious to see if she tells me.

I am tightening my illness policy (again!) and really just considered that this family also forgets the epipen for the older sis, who has a nut and egg allergy. So I am adding a paragragh excluding for not having life saving medications on hand,and have added a statement saying I reserve the right to exclude for an amount of time that I determine warranted based on the virus. I am seriously going to have the tightest, most descriptive illness policy in town, simply based on everything I have to add FOR THIS ONE FAMILY!
YES!! I have a 12 page contract with a two page illness policy and I still have to continuously add to it. Common sense is in rare supply these days.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
24/48 rule, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy - samples, rsv

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Is Your Exclusion Policy Re: Fevers Ariana Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 07-12-2017 10:07 AM
Symptoms For Exclusion. What Temp Fever? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 06-21-2017 07:29 PM
RSV and exclusion from daycare Jack Sprat Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 01-15-2015 03:40 PM
Illness Exclusion grateday Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 03-06-2014 03:38 PM
Symptom Exclusion Policy - My Form craftymissbeth Forms - Uploads 22 10-07-2013 10:26 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming