Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:39 PM
Lover of all things B&W

Default Helping New Kids Adjust

I did some searching, but most topics were about whether or not to terminate the child, not tips on helping them adjust.

New little girl (2.5) started on March 1st. She did two days (M/W) and again M/W this week. She will start 4 days next week M-Th. We are a preschool, and run M-Th for 4 hours in the morning. Her first three days went ok. She is SUPER verbal and could communicate with us very well. She had a few potty accidents because she was scared of the bathroom, but is doing great with that now. Today, however, was NOT fun. She literally scream/cried all morning, the full four hours of class. She did not participate in most of the day and it got so bad that the other kids were having a hard time hearing us or being able to participate either. I did not call for pick up, because I thought that would just teach her to cry and she'd see mom (mom agreed)
Her parents are super on board with everything and we are trying to work together to get her comfortable. She was previously with Grandma, so this is very new for her. I want to make this work! I love the family and she does great when she's distracted... today it was just nearly impossible to distract her!
Any tips for helping kids transition well? I've had some kids that took time, but the non-stop screaming is new for me!
Old 03-11-2021, 04:16 AM
Daycare.com Member

Maybe she was over tired, had an off day, etc. What about finding a buddy to help her get acclimated? Find out what her interests are and try to offer her some of those activities to further distract her. If she loves drawing, painting, crafty type stuff, being read to, circle time interactive activities, singing/dancing, try incorporating more of that into your routine until she feels comfortable. Take her hand and gently guide her into activities with others. Maybe she needs a calm space for herself; offer her a book, snuggly animal to quiet down until she's ready to join the group.

Good luck; it sounds like she'll eventually find her footing and enjoy being there. It must be quite the culture shock going from grandma's house to lots of kids and activity.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:06 AM

Personally since you are a preschool I think you need to just go about the day as you normally would and try to refrain from purposely doing anything distracting that is out of the norm as you'll have to keep upping the ante if you go that route.

You are a preschool and to me that means kids need to be ready (developmentally AND emotionally) to be in preschool. If not, they need more of a childcare routine where the focus is more on daily care/supervision verses "preschool".

I would continue my regular routine, inviting her to join as you go along and if she chooses not to participate that is her right. I'd give her a safe space (preferably away from the others if possible) to sit until she does choose to participate. If she doesn't adjust, she probably just isn't ready kwim?

Going from straight days with grandma to "school" at 2.5 is more than most kids can probably manage.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:54 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I have no personal or professional interest in helping a 2.5 year old adjust to my program. By that age I expect them to be an asset to the group. My interest would lie in protecting the learning environment for the rest of the group. It is the parents responsibility to prepare a child for preschool, before enrolling.

I do hope it works out for you and your group. It is a tough position to be in.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:10 PM
Lover of all things B&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Maybe she was over tired, had an off day, etc. What about finding a buddy to help her get acclimated? Find out what her interests are and try to offer her some of those activities to further distract her. If she loves drawing, painting, crafty type stuff, being read to, circle time interactive activities, singing/dancing, try incorporating more of that into your routine until she feels comfortable. Take her hand and gently guide her into activities with others. Maybe she needs a calm space for herself; offer her a book, snuggly animal to quiet down until she's ready to join the group.

Good luck; it sounds like she'll eventually find her footing and enjoy being there. It must be quite the culture shock going from grandma's house to lots of kids and activity.
She was definitely tired, was all 4 days but I think the last one just got to her :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Personally since you are a preschool I think you need to just go about the day as you normally would and try to refrain from purposely doing anything distracting that is out of the norm as you'll have to keep upping the ante if you go that route.

You are a preschool and to me that means kids need to be ready (developmentally AND emotionally) to be in preschool. If not, they need more of a childcare routine where the focus is more on daily care/supervision verses "preschool".

I would continue my regular routine, inviting her to join as you go along and if she chooses not to participate that is her right. I'd give her a safe space (preferably away from the others if possible) to sit until she does choose to participate. If she doesn't adjust, she probably just isn't ready kwim?

Going from straight days with grandma to "school" at 2.5 is more than most kids can probably manage.
This is pretty much what we've been doing. By distracted I mean distracted in a lesson or activity. We are actually offering "early preschool" this year, so all my kids are between 2.5 and early 3's that miss the cut off. I am ok helping them "learn to learn" but the screaming just threw it all off :| Definitely was a totally different environment for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I have no personal or professional interest in helping a 2.5 year old adjust to my program. By that age I expect them to be an asset to the group. My interest would lie in protecting the learning environment for the rest of the group. It is the parents responsibility to prepare a child for preschool, before enrolling.

I do hope it works out for you and your group. It is a tough position to be in.
This is probably what I was most worried about, it was throwing off the whole group. I don't mind getting kids adjusted to school (within reason), but like I said to BC above, it was the screaming that was just a no
Old 03-11-2021, 01:15 PM
Lover of all things B&W

Thank you everyone! I re-read over my first post and I was definitly stressed from the day! Her first three days had crying and lots of "i miss mommy" but her 4th was just... yikes!
I'm SOOO happy her parents are on board though! I talked with them at pickup yesterday and they talked with her last night. She fussed a little at drop off because she didn't want her temperature checked, but dad didn't give her an option and she did it just fine. She came in willingly, and mentioned mom maybe 2 times in the entire day. No tears except for some crocodile ones in time out because she pushed down the slide :P Other than that, she did amazing! Participated in our activities and lessons, listened (as well as any 2yr old does) and was night and day from yesterday!
Old 03-17-2021, 02:17 PM
Lover of all things B&W

My new little one that was having such a hard time adjusting, was carried to her car today at pickup in tears. Dad asked her why she was crying and she said "I want to go back to school!!"
Old 03-18-2021, 03:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

Tags
crying spot, preparing children, preparing children for school, preschool - discipline, soft seating