Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default I Passed Up A Client

I don't feel bad, but I told her up front that I had to discuss it with dh (not that he cares) she wanted to bring the baby (he's 1) at 6am till 330pm. but my first kid arrives at 715am and my last kid leaves at 5pm. that would push me to almost 12 hour days and then have to deal with my own kids. oh here's the kicker, she starts work at 7am around the corner from dh and he even said that it only takes 15mins to get to work, why does she need to drop him off early (she lives about 5 min. from my house) deep down, I had a feeling that she would be a pita parent.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM

I had a Mom contracted for 10 months here, then 1 week before the date she was supposed to start said that she needed to start at 6:00am and pick up around 6:00. She had found a daycare that was open 12 hrs. that didn't charge any extra, so she was going to use all 12 hrs. on her newborn baby- how sad!! Her boyfriend and herself needed to work out in the am and in the afternoon!! I turned away many, many infants, because I was holding a spot for the baby!!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have a family now where I watch both of their boys. They are in my care from 6:30 until 5pm M-F. The kicker is that the father actually gets off work at 3pm and could come and pick them up but he doesnt. Mom picks them up on her way home from work, which Im NOT on her way home. It would be easier for dad to do it but he doesnt.

I have another parent that sometimes skips out of work early to run errands and doesnt tell me, not that I care, and will show up in sweats or something, not work clothes. She pays me for full-time so I dont care what she does, but you'd think these parents would want their children with them more.

Truth is: They dont.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:15 AM

Been there too, holding a spot then a no go in the end.....Will not do it again....I think in the future if someone wants me to hold a spot I will charge a holding fee for every month they want me to hold. Sometimes parents expect rediculous things....;or they simply just don't think of how what they want to do will effect us or could affect us in the end.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:19 AM

I should have mentioned that when I mentioned the word "contract" she got really quiet, usually when people do this, I know something is up. Also she wanted to know if my yard was fenced in---even though she drives by my house everyday---well its not because its an acre of property and we use the field (its the country) I don't understand the fence thing, its not like I'm sending the toddlers outside by themselves to play.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:59 AM
Family Childcare Home

Oh yeah, thats a real red flag for me. If all you did was mention that you had a contract and you get akward silence in return I'd run for the hills also.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymom View Post
I don't feel bad, but I told her up front that I had to discuss it with dh (not that he cares) she wanted to bring the baby (he's 1) at 6am till 330pm. but my first kid arrives at 715am and my last kid leaves at 5pm. that would push me to almost 12 hour days and then have to deal with my own kids. oh here's the kicker, she starts work at 7am around the corner from dh and he even said that it only takes 15mins to get to work, why does she need to drop him off early (she lives about 5 min. from my house) deep down, I had a feeling that she would be a pita parent.
I kick myself every morning because this is the case with my newest family of two girls. They drop off at 7 and pick up at 6. Prior to enrolling them, my first dcb didn't arrive until 9:45ish! I was definitely spoiled.

The good thing is that they are a great family. The kids are awesome and well-behaved. The parents are very personable and pay on time! I guess it's better to wake up early for a great family than to be able to sleep in for a horrible or mediocre family.

I think that you made the right decision for your family and you shouldn't feel bad. My decision to enroll my newest family was SOLELY based on financial need. If I could have held out for a more desireable schedule I would have. I can certainly tell you that having these new clients arrive so early certainly affect my family's quality of life. They arrive before anyone else in the house is awake so they usually end up being the "alarm clock".
Old 12-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Unregistered

Several years ago I had a call for an infant and the dad wanted to drop her at 6:00 a.m. I didn't open that early and still don't but I asked her where he worked to have to drop off so early...she said, "Oh he doesn't HAVE to be at work until 7 but he likes to go in a little early to have a coffee and read the paper and chat with the guys there.."

I was p.o.'d because I'd love nothing better than to "sit and have a coffee" in the morning but that's not possible here! AND I wasn't about to get early so someone else could dump THEIR child so they could! Geez, man up and be responsible for YOUR kid!

Tags
spot