Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Rate Would You Give Her?
dEHmom 09:28 AM 01-12-2011
Ok so I have a lady coming for an interview. I'm not sure EXACTLY yet, but by the sounds of it this is what she is looking for:

2 kids 2 yr and 4 yrs old. I don't charge for different ages.

She wants part time care, she will be 2 days full days but kids will split the day, 1 in morning, other in afternoon, or somethign like this. I told her I won't consider until she emails or drops off a schedule with who is here at what times etc so I can actually see it.

By the sounds of it, we are less than 20 hours between the 2 kids together, so I was considering 75/wk period. Not per kid. If I told her go casual, if the kids are never here at the same time, then it would just be the reg. 5/hr anyway. So other than it being kids switching off halfway thru day, then it's basically like 1 kid approx 16 hrs/wk.

would it be right to charge just the reg 75/wk part time charge regardless of it being 2 kids if this is how the schedule is? Or should I be charging more because it is 2 kids?
Unregistered 09:43 AM 01-12-2011
Oh, that is a hard one! Not sure what I would do. I think tho I would probably charge $100.00 a week for the two of them. She is kind of asking a lot of a provider, so make it worth your time.
Live and Learn 10:10 AM 01-12-2011
Personally I don't do drop in anymore because it often seems to be a "can of worms". I also don't like drop off and pickups mid day...it messes with my groove... so I even get a premium for half days. Full time half day 8-12 is $27.... Per kiddo. little ones that come for drop in care once or twice a week often have a difficult time fitting into the program because they are not here enough days in a row to find the routine comforting. When I did drop in care I charged minimum wage for the day. $64 (8:00-4:00) Per kiddo. I did not break it down by the hour...I charged by the day only.

Keep in mind if she doesn't have set days her dropping in will cut into your ability to have other kids in your care for certain days...this type of situation can turn into a real headache....I think it was Legomom that recently found herself in a situation were she was really wanting to help a mom out with her crazy flex hours but learned in the end that it ended up costing her family money because she had to turn away other families who had more suitable schedules.

Me personally,I really, really prefer full-time full day.
Just me.
Good Luck
lvt77 10:12 AM 01-12-2011
why doesnt she want them there together? I see a lot of issues rising out of this...At least from my experience. I have two DCB that come together and the older was coming first and then the baby dropped off later...When the parent would come back to drop the little guy, the older kid would create a huge seen or issue. Start crying all over again and repeat the same morning drop off issue all over again....ugh.....They both now come at the same time...
dEHmom 10:20 AM 01-12-2011
They have programs 2 times a week where 1 goes in the morning and the other in afternoon because of their age groups. Her husband works shift work, and she says even though she's not the bread winner, she just doesn't want to walk away from the job she has. Understandable.
I did inform her that should this be an issue, and full timers willing to start, they will be given adequate notice, and a choice to bump up or walk. Personally I am not in a position financially to just walk away. If after the interview I'm not feeling they will be suitable then I still have the option to deny them. But because she wants permanent, I informed her, and will state it on the contract for her, that they will lose placement should full timers want in, and they deny bumping up.

I was thinking because of the extra hassle, plus different ages, and switching off etc, that I would just charge maybe 90 for the 2 together a week or something like that.
dEHmom 10:22 AM 01-12-2011
oh and this mom informed me over the phone that their live in nanny was fired because a family member spotted this woman DRAGGING one kid through a parking lot by the scruff of the neck/shirt.

This does alarm me some because maybe the kid is a major brat. BUT I will meet the kids, and give it a feel first.
lvt77 10:26 AM 01-12-2011
You sound like you have a valueable program. You are worth every penny!! GO for the 90
dEHmom 10:28 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
You sound like you have a valueable program. You are worth every penny!! GO for the 90
Is that all I'm worth to you? 90 a week? lol. jk.
lvt77 10:38 AM 01-12-2011
lol I could never afford you thats for sure..... I am sure that things will work out....
dEHmom 10:45 AM 01-12-2011
lol yeah I couldn't afford me either!
SimpleMom 11:33 AM 01-12-2011
I would charge $60.00/child/week with the understanding that FT takes precedence over PT. IF that's a chance they want to take.
dEHmom 11:42 AM 01-12-2011
You don't think that's asking too much? Since they are just part timers? And together they are making 1 part time spot, not 2 part time spots?
Unregistered 11:51 AM 01-12-2011
No, your not asking too much, go for the $100.00 a week tho, like the rest are saying, it interferes with anything or anyone else you want to take on, I say Go for the $100.00 a week for the 2 of them. Also I think I would be really careful when thinking of taking these kids, if the live in nanny was fired like that. Be careful! Parents can really turn on a provider if they feel you are not doing what they want, even if you feel you are in the right.
lvt77 12:12 PM 01-12-2011
What do you charge a single person for full day?
my full day is 45
half day is 25
what do you chrage by the hour? 5.00 per hour x 20 $100.00
dEHmom 12:13 PM 01-12-2011
part time is 75/wk/kid
full time is 125/wk/kid
lvt77 12:18 PM 01-12-2011
holy cow.....Im in CA so I am assuming its higher cost of living here
My pt is 45 per day which becomes their weekly rate
full time is 205.00 week
dEHmom 12:22 PM 01-12-2011
depends where you are. In Alberta I know some people charge 40/day etc.

Here the regulated Licensed homes are 20.21/day and subsidy is like 12/day or something along those lines. I don't know for sure.
lvt77 12:28 PM 01-12-2011
so I think that you should charge her $30.00 per day..
dEHmom 01:04 PM 01-12-2011
are you saying charge her as a casual not part time? And 30/day that kids are in my carE?
Daycare_Mama 01:11 PM 01-12-2011
If you charge 75/ per week for part-time (which I'm assuming is for 2 days, not 3?), then I would charge her 1.5 times that.

I would do this because you aren't necessarily caring for 2 kids at once, but are dealing with 2 kids from the same family and the switching, so I would go smack dab in between what you would charge for 1 kid PT vs. 2 kids PT.

Her need sounds like it could be a bit of a hassle for you and I agree with pp who said there might be some pick-up/drop off issues between the 2 kids (when one doesn't want to stay or go, you know?).

$112.50 is what I say

And you'd have to be a stickler about them not being there at the same time ever.
Unregistered 01:20 PM 01-12-2011
I actually charge $30.00 a day per child, no sibling discounts, for full time. That is all I want is full time.
dEHmom 06:25 AM 01-13-2011
Thanks everyone!
She emailed me yesterday just asking me how late I am open on Tuesdays and fridays.
I emailed back, this:

Tuesdays are one of those days I already explained. I have children in programs, and depending on what time you are looking at, I couldn't possible answer that. I will need you to forward me a breakdown of Monday-Friday as I requested on our phone conversation as to what hours you are requiring for which child I cannot advise anything further.
dEHmom 08:53 AM 01-19-2011
This is the email I got from her. I sent her a form on the email and put in the kids names mon-fri, drop off and pick up times on there. with comments on the side. There is 4 weekly schedules, so she can adjust if the weeks change. I told her once she gets that back to me I will decide on a final rate, and then if she agrees, we will schedule an interview. This sounds like a lot of hassle to me. So I highly doubt I will take them on. Plus she hasn't clarified if the times are am or pm. I know she was asking how late I am open on fridays. I think I'm changing my closing to 5pm. except if someone works till 5 then I will allow till 6 but that'll be secret and I'll charge them an extra 5 dollars for this. lol. originally she told me that the most hours would be 16.5 a week between the kids. So I don't understand her calculations if she is looking for 630-3 monday wednesday and fridays. i just don't get it.

"we will need someone for every third monday and wednesday and fridays 630-3 wen chris is on days both kids would be dropped off and zach would be picked up by bus on mondays and wednesdays just after 8ish and then dropped off just after 11ish ariana would be picked up at 12ish and id be picking her up from the school then on our way to grab zach if this works for u lemme kno and how much?fridays they dont have schol so theyd both be spending day with u"

Abigail 09:43 AM 01-19-2011
WOW, it's not as simple as it seems by her last email. She just said that Friday both would be with you, which means they would be using TWO spots. You should contract her for M,W,F (every week, so if they don't use it the lose it). Your part time rate is simply $25/day/child which makes up to be the same for full time at $125/week/child. These are the same rates here in North Dakota...you're not too far north of me!

I would simply say your part time rate is $75/child for her M/W/F schedule EVERY WEEK because they are paying for their spot, not their attendance. This would instantly become $150/week for both children because you never know what days you'll end up with two keeping you from enrolling another child. I would love to have a 3 pm pickup personally....wake up from nap, goodbye!

I bet she can't find anything much better, at least for a guaranteed spot for her kids. For what it sounds for M/W you will have both until 8 am each day, then both again for the lunch hour 11-12 so you will not be able to fill one more spot to only charge for one child. You could still fill your T/H spots, but you can't sell yourself short for someone's difficult schedule. I say stick to your guns and rate them for full days each week M, W, F 6-3 pm at $75/PER CHILD so you'll get your $150/week. I would make sure she knows that if one child stays home that she still pays the $150 for the week in advance. That is how daycare works.

Also, for future reference, I would recommend you change your part time rates to $30/day instead of $25/day. Here that is common. It quickly turns your $75/week into $90/week. If you think that is too high of a jump for current part time, have it turn into $82.50 which is 10% increase. Then the next year is a 10% increase bringing it to $90.75 (I would round down to $90) and this is for a 3-day minimum. Sorry this got long!
dEHmom 09:54 AM 01-19-2011
Thanks Abigail,
I had at one point lowered my rates to see if I could get more clients interested (it was december so I knew money was tight for everyone), and I put the full time at 110/wk and pt at 75/wk.
But I find most people are looking for part time and casual not full time, which is creating a problem. But right now I'm at a point where some is better than none. And it's quite irritating. I also advise all pt and casuals that should fulltimers come along they have the option to bump up, or lose their spot to the full timers.
Right now though my casual is paying me more a week than my full time rate so I really don't mind too much.

I think if I'm reading this right, if she is looking for monday wednesday each kid half day roughly, 6am-3pm and fridays both kids full day i would charge her 120/wk which would be 30/day since the kids are splitting out half days monday wednesday i'll just charge 15/kid for those 2 days and then 30 each for the friday . If she hems and haws at that, I think I'd offer 100/wk BUT ONLY IF every 2nd week is a shorter week (1 maybe 2 days).

Sometimes I wonder if it is better to quote the parents a monthly charge or a weekly charge. If parents have taken a look at other daycares PER month, then they would know I'm offering the better deal. But if they are comparing daily, or weekly fees, then they might think I'm more expensive, which I'm not.
Abigail 12:31 PM 01-19-2011
Sounds like you have a good plan BayBee. I sure hope I can get some full timers when I open. I would go insane with 20 part timers

As long as she understands that full times take precedence (sp.) then it should work. My only concern is that you will have both until 8 am and then again have both from 11-noon while they "switch" so if you only have two openings right now (I don't know how many openings you have), but if you only have two now and enroll her two part timers then you would be over before 8 am on M/W's and for the hour of lunch those days too.
dEHmom 11:34 AM 01-25-2011
ok, so she only wants me to watch them for every 3rd week!

I told her if she wants to go casual, I'll meet with her, and give her a rate but no guarantees spots will be open. Or she can book a full time spot monthly regardless! I am ready to just tell her no though. For the other weeks, she has found someone to care for them in evenings and nights becaues of the shift work.

WHEN husband ON DAYS
Drop Off Time
Pick Up Time
Comments:

Monday
A 645 am-12:15
Z 645am-8:10 11-3pm

Z WOULD BE PICKED UP BY BUS AT 8:10 OR SO AND DROPPED BACK OFF AT 11AM ,THEN A WOULD BE PICKED UP BY BUS AT 12

Tuesday
A 3-3:30pm
Z 1:30ish-3:30pm

a in school in afternoon and would be dropped off by bus

Wednesday
A 6:45am-12:15
Z6:45-8:10 am 11-3 pm

Z WOULD BE PICKED UP BY BUS AT 8:10 OR SO AND DROPPED BACK OFF AT 11AM ,THEN A WOULD BE PICKED UP BY BUS AT 12

Friday
A 1:30-3:30 PM
Z 130-3;30pm

no school for kids , i start at 3pm and husband gets off at 330
Tags:charging, rates
Reply Up