Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It The Time Of Year? Am I The Only One Not Getting Payments?
ddnanny13 12:54 PM 01-24-2011
So one of my parents bounced me a check for the first week of Jan. She wrote the amount into her check for the second week of January. I was slow to deposit it and just found out today that it too bounced. That's 2 weeks of care she didn't pay for. She gave me a check last week and another today for this week and those are obviously not any good either, thankfully I haven't deposited them yet as I get charged for them bouncing as well. That's 4 weeks of care that I don't have $ for, aaahhh!! I had another parent who decided 2 weeks ago that she couldn't afford to pay me, said she had no money and she would give it to me Friday. I then saw her and her bf buying an $800 tv at best buy... She did end up paying me but now this week says she has no money again. Is it the time of year, or am I just having crappy luck this month?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:50 PM 01-24-2011
It always amazes me how some parents don't have the money to pay the person that that takes care of their children while they are away. When I was working, that was my FIRST priority.

You can always call the bank that is on their check to verify if the funds are valid before you deposit the check. She could have put more money in since that check bounced. I had that happen last year...a parent bounced a check on me and I had another one in hand for the following week so I called her bank to varify the funds where there before depositing it.
Abigail 08:02 PM 01-24-2011
Well, it can only get better from here right?!

I don't know much about checks bouncing so if anyone wants to enlighten me I'd be happy. So you call the bank that the check is out of, not your own bank to see if funds are available?

When I deposit a check, it always goes through and I've never written a check that isn't good. When I deposit a bad check, how would I know it's bad? Does the bank find out as I'm standing at the bank counter? Do they call the person to say it's not good? LOL, Please share your experience.
jessrlee 08:51 PM 01-24-2011
You don't know that the check has bounced for a couple of weeks. My bank charges me a $30 fee if a parent's check bounces. If the OP wants to be sure it is good she can cash the check at the parent's bank. That way it doesn't bounce in her account. The upside is that writing bad checks is illegal. You can serve papers to her to get your money, or she will go to jail (and still have to pay). Don't forget to include bank fees, late fees, and any late fees on your bills due to this.
Cat Herder 03:35 AM 01-25-2011
I had several bounced checks this past year, first time in over 15 years!!

I went to a two payment option plan. Cash only, in advance OR Online Direct Deposit Payment. 3 of my families pay cash, the rest pay online.... If either form of payment are not present either in my hand or in my account, I do not allow them to drop off. (I also opened two accounts, one for money coming in, one for money going out. HARD LESSON.)

I know it sounds harsh, but they caused me to accumulate over $3000 in charges and fees last year. It always seems to happen at the worst time...like the day you pay your mortgage online causing it to bounce, or the day you pay that $5000 last payment on your retirement loan....groan...

Maybe it is the Region, but checks have just become an unstable art form in my mind.
Little People 04:32 AM 01-25-2011
This is why I only accept cash! I have not had one problem with parents paying me in cash. I cover 2/3 times in an interview that I expect to get paid on Friday's and I only accept cash.
Some parents will try and say....I only get paid every 2 weeks, then I say "Oh that would be great, you can just pay 2 weeks ahead" or a parent will say " I can't make it to the bank before pick up", I say "Oh", that is not a problem, you can go on your lunch hour. Works everytime!!
laundrymom 04:33 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
You don't know that the check has bounced for a couple of weeks. My bank charges me a $30 fee if a parent's check bounces. If the OP wants to be sure it is good she can cash the check at the parent's bank. That way it doesn't bounce in her account. The upside is that writing bad checks is illegal. You can serve papers to her to get your money, or she will go to jail (and still have to pay). Don't forget to include bank fees, late fees, and any late fees on your bills due to this.
I take it to their bank and cash if I'm leery of it. Also. One bad check means cash forever
MARSTELAC 05:28 AM 01-25-2011
This is my 4th year of daycare and the first month ever that I have been asked to hold payments or payments have been late. I am paid on Monday for the upcoming week (new this year....in past I collected on last day of care by pick-up time). I gave parents notice in September that this change would be effective on January 3. I have had 5 late payments and one ask to hold the check for one day. I don't know why this is such a hard concept. I have someone run my checks to the bank for me and each Monday I have been missing at least 1 check. FRUSTRATING!
Blackcat31 06:21 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
This is my 4th year of daycare and the first month ever that I have been asked to hold payments or payments have been late. I am paid on Monday for the upcoming week (new this year....in past I collected on last day of care by pick-up time). I gave parents notice in September that this change would be effective on January 3. I have had 5 late payments and one ask to hold the check for one day. I don't know why this is such a hard concept. I have someone run my checks to the bank for me and each Monday I have been missing at least 1 check. FRUSTRATING!
Do you charge a late fee for the checks they ask you to hold? I had a mom do that all the time too until she figured out that I was still charging a late fee because if I can't spend the money when it is given to me it is considered late...if you are gonna give me a piece of paper to hold but I can't use immediately you might as well be giving me Monopoly money...same thing. I just raised my late fee last year...it used to be $3 per day (weekends included) but now I do $5 per day and after 5 days NO CARE PLUS the late fee until paid in full. So far I have had only one late payment since I did that...
MarinaVanessa 06:32 AM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
One bad check means cash forever
Yup, me too. It isn't my responsibility to make sure their money is in the bank, it's theirs. One bad check and it's cash only forever and ever and ever. I also charge a late payment fee ($5 a day) AND a bounced check fee )($35) AND bank bounced check fees if I get one (my bank doesnt charge unless it happens often) AND any fees that I incur because of the bad check. Like if their check bounced and I write a check or use my bank card and I get a fee because I have insifficient funds, they pay it. Or if I have to pay a bill late because they give me a bad check and I get a late fee tacked on to the bill, thet pay it. I'm not paying money because they are irrisponsible with their finances.

I have a very expensive $1 toothbrush holder that cost a parent $85 because they gave me a bad check. I deposited the check and then went grocery shopping then to Target for a toothbrush holder. I found one in the dollar section. Her check bounced so I got $35 fees for each transaction which I charged her plus 3 days worth of late fees.
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 01-25-2011
Years ago I had a dcd who told me that it was my fault his check bounced and that I cannot get away with charging him all the fees that I incurred because of his bad check. His reasons were if I had cashed the check the same day he gave it to me it would have been good but since I waited until the weekend (when I do all my banking) it was my fault the money was gone now...and he said that I am a business and like Wal-mart I should have enough money in my account to cover any time a check bounces and should only be allowed to charge him the $20 return check fee IF it had been his fault which it wasn't..... He said Wal-mart doesnt have the whole snowball effect going when a check bounces because they keep money in their accounts to cover their butts and I should too...

I termed him on Monday AFTER he paid the original check amount, late fee, return check fee and every overdraft fee I incurred from the result of HIS bad check!

Funny thing how stuff comes around because DH and I were in the local Mexican restaurant the other day and there posted on the counter where everyone could see was a bad check written by this same former dcd! Laughed the whole way out.....
Unregistered 08:36 AM 01-25-2011
I no longer accept checks ONLY cash when I use to except checks and a parents check bounced they could no longer write me checks and they paid the fees going along with bounced checks and late payment fees. You should not watch this womans child till you get paid and then she pays in advance I would not trust her anymore. As far as the other one saying she couldnt pay then buying a tv I would of charged her a late fee and she would have to pay in advance also. You need to do the no pay no stay policy my parents have to pay on Friday by 5:30pm for the FOLLOWING WEEK if not their is a late fee of 25 bucks and their child can not come to daycare till payment for daycare fee ad late payment is made.
ddnanny13 01:59 PM 01-25-2011
Sounds like Im really going to have to get tough with my parents, I hate even trying but what else can you do right? Thanks everyone for all your advice! Now come on back bone grow....
safechner 02:52 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Well, it can only get better from here right?!

I don't know much about checks bouncing so if anyone wants to enlighten me I'd be happy. So you call the bank that the check is out of, not your own bank to see if funds are available?

When I deposit a check, it always goes through and I've never written a check that isn't good. When I deposit a bad check, how would I know it's bad? Does the bank find out as I'm standing at the bank counter? Do they call the person to say it's not good? LOL, Please share your experience.
Yes, the bank teller will tell you the funds are not enough. It happened to me once when I was younger. A friend of mine paid me $500 for loan my money in the past. I waited a few days later, I tried again and it went through. I always go to someone else's bank for my safety reason. I would hate to pay fee in my bank if it is bounced check.
boysx5 03:11 PM 01-25-2011
I wouldn't let the child come unless I was paid on Monday when they walk through the door I had to learn this the hard but I must all my five families pay on time and I have no issues. I tell them its just like cable your phone bill you don't pay you have no service they wouldn't work for free why should daycare providers
nannyde 03:50 PM 01-25-2011
Nope everyone pays on time every week of every year.

If you are late you don't get day care and you get booted out. I do not have to discuss money with clients. Pay the same amount every week on Friday 52 weeks a year. No fuss No muss
Tags:economy, non-payment, recession
Reply Up