Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interveiwing and Backbone
AfterSchoolMom 09:10 PM 07-23-2011
It's getting to be about that time of year for me. I'll (hopefully) be interviewing new families for my SA spots for the upcoming school year. None of my previous group are returning, so it'll be a clean slate for me. I feel hopeful, but I'm also a bit hesitant, because I do NOT want a repeat of the godawful two years that I just experienced.

Here's what I really want to know:

1.Are you going to pay me on time and/or try to "negotiate" after the contract is signed?
2.How many Friday afternoons during the year should I expect to hear "can I just catch you on Monday"?
3.Are you going to show up late three days a week?
4.Is your child going to show me respect or act like a demon?

Of course, I can't say any of that. Just wondering how I make it perfectly, crystal clear to the new families that I am not going to put up with any of that garbage anymore...without sounding like a complete b--ch and scaring them away.
sharlan 09:13 PM 07-23-2011
C-O-N-T-R-A-C-T, and enforce it.
AfterSchoolMom 09:16 PM 07-23-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
C-O-N-T-R-A-C-T, and enforce it.
I already have one, and it's pretty in depth. Doesn't stop them, at least not in my experience.

I've been too nice. Another mistake that I've made is giving them the contract to take home and read/sign/return. One thing I'm definitely changing is that I'm going to make sure to sit down with each family and go over every part of the contract with them so that there is NO doubt.

I just know that even doing that doesn't always work. I've been burned SOOO many times.
wdmmom 09:20 PM 07-23-2011
Have everything outlined in your contract. If you don't pay on Friday, you owe a late fee for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. If payment isn't made Monday morning, no daycare.

If they are going to be late, charge a fee accordingly. I do $1.00 per minute. Tell them late fees are strictly enforced.

Allow yourself a trial period so if their kid acts like the Anti-Christ, you can tell then that little Johnny is not a good fit for your program.

I also have it in my contract that any changes must be submitted to the daycare 2 weeks before the request is to take place. It is then at my discretion to honor the change or reject it.

I think if you have a good contract and aren't afraid to enforce it, you'll have no problem. You don't and won't sound like a b*tch. You'll sound like an educated business woman that has these rules in place for a reason!
cheerfuldom 09:29 PM 07-23-2011
The contract means nothing if you don't enforce it from day one. I'm not trying to be to harsh here but these parents wouldn't be doing this type of thing if you didn't allow it. Yes, they would be trying stuff but the fact that it continued for two years is definitely something that you could have changed. Go over your main problem issues at the interview and make it crystal clear that you do not allow any exceptions to your policy. Get tough girl! you can do it!
DaisyMamma 04:28 AM 07-24-2011
I know the feeling! I have parents pay the Monday care starts, not Friday after and still charge a late fee if they pay tues or later. Also I charge a late fee for late pick ups. Be aspecially firm with the kids the first couple of weeks so they as they will be testing you to see what they can get away with.
Tags:backbone, interview
Reply Up