Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Act
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 10-21-2011
Have you guys seen this? I havent looked deeply into it but sounds like she wants daycare providers to be required to provide diapers to needy families...?

http://delauro.house.gov/release.cfm?id=3206

I may be misunderstanding since someone else was telling me about it and havent had the chance to really do any research into it yet but wondering if any of you have read about it and what your thoughts are.
Cat Herder 08:57 AM 10-21-2011
I figured it was coming since Discount School Supplies sells them in the ECE section....

On the plus side they also started carrying portable, running, warm water sinks with a holding tank so we don't have to have the playroom renovated anymore.
morgan24 09:21 AM 10-21-2011
That's the first I heard of it. Maybe it will be like the food program only we will get paid for supplying diapers.
MarinaVanessa 09:37 AM 10-21-2011
If someone can't afford diapers then maybe they shouldn't have any more kids. Just sayin. I mean, I know that sometimes there are things that happen unexpectedly especially in this economy but c'mon, really??? Isn't that what welfare is for? If you don't qualify for welfare then maybe you CAN afford diapers and are just living out of your means. Disconnect your cable and internet service, clip coupons, don't go out to eat, don't buy new clothes and don't buy alcohol or ciggarettes.
sharlan 09:43 AM 10-21-2011
Gee, whatever happened to cloth diapers?????? If you can't afford disposables, buy cloth and WASH them. Is this concept so hard?
Cat Herder 09:47 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Gee, whatever happened to cloth diapers?????? If you can't afford disposables, buy cloth and WASH them. Is this concept so hard?
It is against rules and regs here. The poster on how to change a disposable diaper is a two page foldout....

Notice the part about "health and safety"

That is what they are referring to as well.

"Diapers are expensive, but necessary, to keep children healthy and in daycare, giving their parents the freedom they need to work." is the money shot.
sharlan 09:57 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
It is against rules and regs here. The poster on how to change a disposable diaper is a two page foldout....

"Diapers are expensive, but necessary, to keep children healthy and in daycare, giving their parents the freedom they need to work." is the money shot.
I would ask if you were serious, but I am sure you are.

Ok, use cloth at home and disposable for daycare. If you can't afford diapers cut out things like Starbucks and cigarettes.
littlemommy 09:59 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

Wow I never knew it would be against regs! I've advertised that I am a cloth diaper friendly daycare, as I use them on my own son. It's just not common around here. Usually when people find out that I use them they are full of questions and sometimes weird looks.
small_steps 10:03 AM 10-21-2011
Surely they aren't expecting daycare providers to supply the diapers. I'm reading it as they want a program to do it, kind of like WIC. Or like someone else said, maybe they will have something like the food program to re-imburse. I would have a hard time providing diapers for my daycare kids. I have 5 in diapers right now. Just thinking of how much that would cost me extra per week makes me cringe a little.
Meeko 10:07 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
That's the first I heard of it. Maybe it will be like the food program only we will get paid for supplying diapers.
It had better work that way!

I have 6 dck's in diapers and there's no way I'm going to provide them out of my own pocket.

I would have no problem buying the diapers as long as I get every penny back from the government. I do a lot for my dcp's...but I won't buy their diapers.
MyAngels 11:13 AM 10-21-2011
If I understand this correctly, this is an amendment to the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act. Families who receive subsidies for child care through that grant would be eligible to have diapers provided through the grant as well - presumably through their child care provider.

I don't think they're trying to put the burden of providing diapers on all providers. At least I hope not, but with the government you just never know what they'll think up next .
hoopinglady 11:18 AM 10-21-2011
started out as a trade with one of my dcms. She brings me starbucks twice per week and I provide diapers and wipes. Then, I just raised my price a bit with the new kids and include it.

It kind of simplifies things for me.
GotKids 11:51 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
started out as a trade with one of my dcms. She brings me starbucks twice per week and I provide diapers and wipes. Then, I just raised my price a bit with the new kids and include it.

It kind of simplifies things for me.
I have 7 in diapers and and 8th that will start in Dec. I provide diapers for all of them. It is so much easier to charge a tad more and not have to worry about parents not providing enough or dealing with leaky, ill fitting ones. It averages out to be about about $ 10 per child more a week. I order them online it works great. I don't have to nag parents anymore and diaper rash problems have nearly ended.
nannyde 12:06 PM 10-21-2011
I do NOT want legislation that says that I can't refuse services to a child based on them not having proper supplies to attend care.

That's where this is ultimately headed.
cheerfuldom 01:45 PM 10-21-2011
I understand that some children really are needy but this type of thing is eye rolling to me. sounds like a good way for parents to get more free stuff, less responsibility of their own child. I have friends that cloth diaper with tshirts and receiving blankets so there are always other options. I cloth diaper my kids and am willing to do daycare kids. I understand that is harder to find but not impossible. plus parents can always cloth at home and disposable at daycare to save money. were is the personal responsibility to provide for your own? thats a whole other topic but this sounds like another program that will quickly be taken advantage of.
Meeko 02:04 PM 10-21-2011
I usually have a supply of emergency donated diapers as the whole neighborhood knows us and donates when they can. However, I have it in my handbook that the diapers are an emergency supply. Any used must be "paid back" when the parents brings diapers.
dave4him 02:08 PM 10-21-2011
There are enough organzations around willing to give diapers to needy families.
GretasLittleFriends 04:40 PM 10-21-2011
I may have a spare diaper here or there as my daughter grows out of a size. I am not willing to supply (nor can I afford to supply) all the diapers, wipes, etc for all the diapered children in my care.

Especially considering I use only Butt Paste on my dd because that is the only thing that works, and it's not cheap. I have one mom that ONLY uses Huggies wipes and diapers on her little one's bottom. Another mom that doesn't care what diaper/wipe, but only A & D ointment, etc. I would NOT want to have to remember which behind is sensitive to what. It is so much easier to get it out of their diaper bag when I change their diaper...
squareone 08:56 PM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
Surely they aren't expecting daycare providers to supply the diapers. I'm reading it as they want a program to do it, kind of like WIC. Or like someone else said, maybe they will have something like the food program to re-imburse. I would have a hard time providing diapers for my daycare kids. I have 5 in diapers right now. Just thinking of how much that would cost me extra per week makes me cringe a little.
This is what I was thinking (and hoping).
Kaddidle Care 06:20 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
If someone can't afford diapers then maybe they shouldn't have any more kids. Just sayin. I mean, I know that sometimes there are things that happen unexpectedly especially in this economy but c'mon, really??? Isn't that what welfare is for? If you don't qualify for welfare then maybe you CAN afford diapers and are just living out of your means. Disconnect your cable and internet service, clip coupons, don't go out to eat, don't buy new clothes and don't buy alcohol or ciggarettes.
Amen Sista!

Rant alert:

This reminded me of a recent Newscast where they were talking to a woman who was fearful of losing her home because she had a $2,500.00 Mortgage payment. The first thing my husband noticed when they panned back at a view of her home was the 3 satellite dishes on it. Mortgages should never be dismissed. Payments can be deferred in times of crisis but nobody should ever be able to walk away from their debt and responsibilities.

I'm more than happy to give to people when I can afford it, but I am sick to death of the government mandating it. Every person that is milking the system is taking money out of our pockets. I'm tired of paying for everyone else's poor choices.

Rant over.

familyschoolcare 06:30 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I do NOT want legislation that says that I can't refuse services to a child based on them not having proper supplies to attend care.

That's where this is ultimately headed.

That is most liekly where this is headed. Just like when "we" first started feedinf children breakfast at school. It was b ecasue no child should have to go to school hungry and some people can not afford good and health food. Now many years later feeding breakfast at pre-school and daycare is expected. I think a similiar trnd will happen here.
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
The only wording I can find in regards to this is :

"This is a definitional change and does NOT require any additional appropriations. The bill seeks only a definitional change that allows Child Care Development Funds to be used for diapers to improve child care quality and access."

AND

"SEC. 3. PROVISION OF DIAPERS AS CHILD CARE ASSISTANCE.
The Child Care and Development Block Grant Act
of 1990 (42 U.S.C. 9801 et seq.) is amended—
(1) in section 658E(c)(3)(C) by adding at the
end the following:
‘‘Provision of diapers for use by eligible children
within the State who receive or are offered child
care services for which financial assistance is
provided under this Act is a direct service and
shall not be included in administrative costs
.’’,
(2) in section 658G is amended by adding at
the end the following:
‘‘These activities include the provision of diapers and dia-
pering supplies to enrolled child care providers sufficient
for the population of children under the age of three whose
parent receives or is offered financial assistance under this
Act.’’,

I am not up at all on legislative speak so I am not really sure what that means. It almost sounds like if you accept children on susidies then you have to provide the diapers. ?? I can't really find anything that says who exactly is going to pay for them. I am going to try to do some more research and see what I can find.
DCMom 07:24 AM 10-22-2011
After reading the bill, it's a funding adjustment to the Child Care Development and Block Grant Act of 1990. Basically, it will allow for diapers to be paid for. How I am reading it, only families on subsidized childcare will be eligible.

Now, let me get this straight...we are subsidizing the formula, the childcare and now the diapers, on top of the other aid payments that vary from state to state. Not to mention little things like the refundable Earned Income Credit, that grows with the # of children you have.

As one of the people who pulls the cart, I am getting really tired of all the people jumping into the cart. It's getting pretty damn heavy.
DCMom 07:31 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
‘‘These activities include the provision of diapers and diapering supplies to enrolled child care providers sufficient
for the population of children under the age of three whose
parent receives or is offered financial assistance under this
Act.’’, [/i]

I am not up at all on legislative speak so I am not really sure what that means. It almost sounds like if you accept children on susidies then you have to provide the diapers. ?? I can't really find anything that says who exactly is going to pay for them. I am going to try to do some more research and see what I can find.
As I understand this section, WE provide diapers for the kids under three for parents who are subsidized. No where did I see our re-imbursement addressed (such as a food program type reimbursement). I'm thinking that they want diapering supplies included in the payment you get from the state.

I hope I'm wrong.
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
As I understand this section, WE provide diapers for the kids under three for parents who are subsidized. No where did I see our re-imbursement addressed (such as a food program type reimbursement). I'm thinking that they want diapering supplies included in the payment you get from the state.

I hope I'm wrong.
That's what I was thinking too.....

This is going to make provides stop taking families with any type of subsidies.

Or we will see new daycares opening up that cater only to subsidized families. No way am I paying for diapers too.

Oddly, the kids who wear the most expensive diapers at my house are both on subsidy.
DCMom 07:44 AM 10-22-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's what I was thinking too.....

This is going to make provides stop taking families with any type of subsidies.

Or we will see new daycares opening up that cater only to subsidized families. No way am I paying for diapers too.

Oddly, the kids who wear the most expensive diapers at my house are both on subsidy.
Exactly what I was thinking
MyAngels 08:55 AM 10-22-2011
A couple of links for those that are interested:

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ccb/...f06_07desc.htm

The act itself:

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/occ/.../chapter_7.pdf

http://www.educationmoney.com/prgm_93.575_chld.html

Too much reading for me this fine Saturday morning, I'll have to take a look at it later.
jen 09:02 AM 10-22-2011
It sounds to me like it would be a government funded program...

I have mixed feelings...I know that some people will change their child less frequently if they need to pay for diapers. It is totally wrong, and I agree that the child should never go without so Mom can get her nails done.

Then again, since I know that some people will do this, I guess I'd rather provide diapers so that the kids gets changed.
diaper gal 04:02 PM 10-23-2011
The bill will not require child care providers to pay for diapers out of their own pockets. The bill does not require an increase in appropriations--it requires no funding beyond that appropriated for the Child Care Development Fund. The bill is intended to help families who already use child care in order to go to work or job training Indeed, the bill simply gives states the option to use their Child Care Development Funds to provide diapers to families as a way of increasing access to quality child care.

The point of the bill to is remove a barrier for some families who rely on child care but cannot afford the diapers necessary to leave their children with a child care provider. The bill also allows states that want to use the money for cloth diapers to do so if they provide all the other support necessary to ensure a supply of clean diapers.

Check out the link to this article in the Hartford Courant http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...1245103.column
nannyde 04:52 PM 10-23-2011
Originally Posted by diaper gal:
The bill will not require child care providers to pay for diapers out of their own pockets. The bill does not require an increase in appropriations--it requires no funding beyond that appropriated for the Child Care Development Fund. The bill is intended to help families who already use child care in order to go to work or job training Indeed, the bill simply gives states the option to use their Child Care Development Funds to provide diapers to families as a way of increasing access to quality child care.

The point of the bill to is remove a barrier for some families who rely on child care but cannot afford the diapers necessary to leave their children with a child care provider. The bill also allows states that want to use the money for cloth diapers to do so if they provide all the other support necessary to ensure a supply of clean diapers.

Check out the link to this article in the Hartford Courant http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...1245103.column
I think it's a slap in the face to providers who accept clients paid for by the Child Care Development Funds. In my State of Iowa the home child care provider gets a little over two dollars per hour for caring for an infant. If there is money available within the Child Care Development Fund it needs to go first and foremost to the providers to increase their weekly salary.

The pay is rediculously low. The parents in my state are receiving as much as eight grand a year in CASH funding that is tax FREE for their childs child care. That is a significant amount of free. It's enough free.

I think it's a shame that anyone is lobbying for more free when the providers of the service are receiving such little compensation for the hard work of caring for kids.

Are we EVER going to have the conversation about how it's important not to HAVE children that you can't afford? Do we have to take the free to every single level of the cost of raising a child? Do you realize that once we start providing the diapers and wipes too that within a couple of years nearly every single fourteen and fifteen year old girl is going to know that should they have a baby they can't afford that we'll take care of that too along with their free food, free child care, free health care, free housing and a whopping earned income credit come the first of the year? Do you GET that when we take over EVERY single thing financially for these kids that we send a strong message to the younger generation that they are entititled?

Did you hear the single Dad in this story? He told the story of how his seven month old is already in size FOUR diapers? Think that's a little odd when the kid has most likely another two and a half YEARS left in diapers and there's only two sizes left before the kid outgrows them? Yathink maybe the diaper companies had a little to do with that and it might have a lot to do with them making a bunch of money? How about putting some of that legislative action in some regulations on the diaper companies to make a product that is environmentally sound and WORKS so we don't have to have so many changes per day and have one year olds already in the largest size they make before the BIG money maker.. pull ups and goodnites?

Maybe do a little work figuring out how in the last five years the sizing in diapers and the amount of absorbable material in them has decreased so dramatically that we are going thru twenty to thirty percent more diapers per day. Cost has skyrocketed and quality has diminished. Let's figure out how that happened?

I have diapers in my stock from six years ago. I could send you one. You wouldn't BELIEVE the difference. PM me thru here and I'll send you one.
Tags:closures, diapers provided, politics vs childcare needs, provider burnout risk, unrealistic expectations
Reply Up