Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infants With Pacifiers
Francine 06:14 AM 01-12-2012
Do you run in and give the pacifier back during nap time or do you let them figure it out? My little 4 month old would have me running up and down the stairs 6 times during his nap to replace the thing....good exercise but it's getting old. I think I am over it!!
Cat Herder 06:39 AM 01-12-2012
Truthfully I'd not have a 4 month old upstairs. Are you allowed to do that where you are? I would be shut down for it.
mismatchedsocks 06:50 AM 01-12-2012
First things I thought was about upstairs too. Second I would keep giving to the baby until they can find it on their own.
Francine 06:54 AM 01-12-2012
Yes, I can have a baby upstairs. He is at the very top of the stairs in my room with the door open. I kept him downstairs with me as long as he would continue to sleep down here but it got to a point where he just wouldn't sleep because of the noise from the other kids. Believe me, I tried!
Cat Herder 07:13 AM 01-12-2012
OK, I would probably wait longer and longer each time to give it back.

My goal would be to lessen his dependence on it more and more everyday.

I can't stand pacifiers. Pacifiers and group child care are a disgusting mix.
littlemommy 07:37 AM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
OK, I would probably wait longer and longer each time to give it back.

My goal would be to lessen his dependence on it more and more everyday.

I can't stand pacifiers. Pacifiers and group child care are a disgusting mix.
For young babies, I don't mind them. But there comes a point when I think they are gross!
I had a 13 month old a while back whose mom was a bad paci-pusher. Even if the boy would try happily jabbering to her, she would stick it in his mouth for him to be quiet. Sad, she wouldn't even let him try to talk! She had it attached to his shirt, and he would crawl around and it would drag cuz he didn't want it. Ewww!
Heidi 08:29 AM 01-12-2012
I would put a few extras in the crib, and wait longer and longer to go in and help.

I am a fan of the pacifier, but once they are about a year old, it's bed only. Just before transitioning to a big bed, they are gone...
E Daycare 06:30 AM 01-13-2012
I have one that can't function without one. She's 5 mo and if it falls out at anytime durning a nap (which sometimes is every 10 minutes) watch out cause all heck brakes loose. Even her mother said her grandpa won't watch her overnight anymore cause he's up once an hour to give it back to her and he likes his sleep (lol). My own son never used one and I have a 2yr old dcb that has one just at nap so I've never really delt with this issue. More often than not its a nussiance but if I completely withhold it she will scream (no lie) an hour.

When her mom comes to get here I had her off like a football and say "GOOD LUCK" and do a dance when she leaves.
momma2girls 06:56 AM 01-13-2012
I have one child that has a paci 24/7 he is 1 1/2 yrs old. I was hoping Mom and Dad would take it away at a yr. I finally had to say something to them after about 14 months. He still gets it all the time at home, but not here. I told her if he absolutely needed his paci at naptime, that was fine. I would just leave it in his pack and play for naptime only.
THe Mom couldn't understand this at first. HELLO!!!The child isn't talking at all, only about 3 or 4 words and that is it!! Plus my other toddler would grab it from him, and try to place it in her mouth. Her parents just got rid of hers at a yr. It's disgusting, when other children try to place it in their mouths, or make it into their mouths.
Another thing is the blanket or lovie blanket that they carry around 24/7- the same thing with this child!! UGHHH!!!! Only has it now at naptime only. Mom couldn't understand this either!! If anyone would pick it up or even touch it, he would scream bloody murder!!! Needless to say, he has this at naptime only as well!!
You just have to put your foot down and set some rules!! I have learned this a long time ago!!
LittleD 08:36 PM 01-13-2012
Break him of the habit now while he's young enough to forget about it. I had my 2yr old dcb broken of it here, and almost broken at home, but then They moved. Next thing you know he strolling into daycare with one cuz he was whining on the way over, and ya they started giving it to him again. I gave up His older brother I had taken it away by his age, and he only gave me maybe a weeks worth of trouble at nap then never looked back!
Texasjeepgirl 07:10 AM 01-14-2012
I have pretty strong opinions about pacifiers...
I love them.. for tiny babies... I even love them for older babies... and as for continueing to give it to the 4 month old when it falls out.. YES.. I would continue to go up and down stairs.. or.. where ever the child was.. to poke that 'pappy' as I call it.. back in.. if it keeps them sleeping.. keeps them from fussing.. I'm ALL ABOUT IT.. BUT
Once they are out of crib.. down on the floor crawling around... playing.. no 'pappy'... not while they are actively playing.. .. WHY? because .. they drop the darn thing... other kids get it.. it gets LOST.. and I DO NOT have time to constantly search.... also.. a child that has a pacifier in their mouth will hold their tongue a certain way.. to 'hold on' to that pacifier.. then try to speak with it in their mouth.. no.. not happening..

I had one child that would always walk up and try to talk to me .. through the pacifier.. That is when I started my rule of putting it away unless at naptime..

The 'pappy' is for IN THE CRIB while sleeping.. and that is where I keep them.. I have a 12 month old granddaughter.. she has about 5 in her crib.. she likes one in her mouth.. atleast one in each hand... but.. that is THE only place she gets to have them... If I pick her up to take her out of crib.. all 'pappy's' get dropped in to crib..

I maintain that rule with ALL my kids.. I really don't care what goes on at their home..

these babies.. and toddlers.. KNOW .. when they arrive each morning.. the pappy comes out of the mouth.. and into the crib...OR...their bag.. or their cubby... they do not get to walk around the room with it in their mouth.. I've had allot of kids whose mom's walk in at the end of the day.. grab it.. and poke it right in their mouth... ok.. great.. for the car seat ride home... I had one child that ran to his cubby every single day...and reached up for it.. as soon as he saw mom... but.. never once would ask for it until then...

I actually had one little girl .. 7 years old.. still used a pappy. . in fact... that's when I began calling it that... I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever seen.. BUT... as long as she didn't attempt to speak to me with it in her mouth.. and.. as long as she ONLY had it in her mouth while she was on her nap cot...sleeping.. I allowed it.... I thought it was CRAZY... but.. I loved this little girl.. and.. she was the sweetest thing.. so.. I turned a blind eye.. I kept thinking that 'peer pressure' would keep her from continueing to use it...but.. no.. she didn't care.. lol.
The minute we got up from nap.. I took custody of it.. put it in her basket.. she left here every single day with it in her mouth..

momma2girls 08:38 AM 01-14-2012
I had an interview the other day, and the Mom was telling me that her 3 1/2 yr. old son, still took a pacifier at naptime. WHAT?????
MNMum 10:50 AM 01-14-2012
They are easier to get rid of than the thumb! My oldest used a pacifier. We easily transitioned off at 2 yrs (it was mainly in the car and when sleeping). My middle child started sucking her thumb at about 6 wks...she'll be six in March, still sucks her thumb. We try to enforce an only at resttime attitude, but the darn thing goes with her everywhere! They were both easy peasy babies. My third wouldn't suck on anything...except a boob! I went back to work at 4 months, he would go 10 hours without eating. Sometimes my husband drove him to work (30 miles). Luckily I only worked 2 days/wk and he got the nutrition he needed at night when I was home. I preferred a baby that could be calmed with some other form of non-nutritive sucking. Just saying... But there should definitely be boundaries.
Tags:infant care, laws, regulations, sids, suid, suids, supervision - active vs. passive
Reply Up