Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thank You Members Of The Forum!
Im sure you know me 06:59 AM 02-02-2012
Parents arrived today to find a note posted on my door that says "no cell phone use is permitted during drop off and pick up at daycare, help keep our children safe!" (I am fed up with children running into the street while DCM talks on her phone)

DCM read it and gave a smart look like, Really? Then asked WHY with an attitude.

So I said "due to a recent issue with child saftey I must ask that parents refrain from using cell phone when arriving to and departing from daycare."

DCM said "uh I don't think you can tell us when to use our phone" I said "sorry but I will not have another childs life risked and that's all I am going to say on the subject!"

I then added, "By the way I also ask that ALL parents hold childrens hands and not allow them to run into the street. "

She stood there giving me a nasty look. I then slapped her with "Your payment is due if it's not paid in full tomorrow the late fees will apply".

She then tells me she can't pay because her furnace is about to catch her house on fire.

"OK and this is my problem because?"
(It sounds harsh but there is always a reason they can't pay and they lay guilt trips on me so I am stopping it now!)

"Well because we need to scrape up money to fix it so we can't pay you."

Keeping myself calm and remembering not to talk so much I tell her, "that's fine but each day late there will be a $10 late fee and I can NOT let you go anymore it's not fair to make others pay fees while you don't."

She wouldn't say another word slammed the sign in down wouldnt even look at me told her kids bye and slammed my door.

For the record this family doesn't report all income. And they have been pulling these excuses with me for a year now. I am done!

Thanks for the backbone ladies, it fits pretty darn good!
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 02-02-2012
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!

Everyone has an excuse now days and I am sympathetic but not to the point where I ever allow someone else's issue to become mine. It doesn't mean you are cold and/or unfeeling, just trying to get by like everyone else.

I am glad you stood your ground and can already tell that you are LOVING your job again!
joysjustlikehome 07:14 AM 02-02-2012
I'll never, ever understand why some people think it is okay to be rude to the person who is going to take care of their children all day. Unbelievable!
Cat Herder 07:20 AM 02-02-2012
Slammed your door as she was leaving....... In front of her own children.

Classy
Sunchimes 07:28 AM 02-02-2012
Can I second the thank you for the backbone? I don't have a great one yet, but when I start to feel it crumbling, I can come here to rebuild. I have a single dcm who is actually a good payer. Only once has she failed to pay me-even paying for weeks when dck is not even here. She claimed that her company messed up her check. I believed her then, although I'm having a few doubts in retrospect. However, there have been times when she paid me and I only had the child once or twice, and I would give her back part of the fee. It just felt wrong to take money for not working. Just to be clear, she has never, ever asked for a break or hesitated for a minute to pay me the full price, nor has she ever been late without permission (she worked til midnight and of course couldn't cash her check then, but paid the next morning.) No more. I ran across a pack of cigarettes in the diaper bag once, but I wasn't sure if they were her's or her boyfriends. Yesterday, the baby---the one with severe asthma and allergies, ear infections, , and a constant runny nose---came in reeking of smoke. The diaper bag smelled so bad that I had to febreze it and move it to the hall, and I'm not even sensitive to smoke--doesn't bother me usually. I decided that if she can find the money for name brand cigarettes, she can darn well buy my groceries each week. No longer am I going to get involved with these people and be nice just to try to help them out. They are customers, nothing more, nothing less. I will however, continue to love my babies!!
Breezy 07:43 AM 02-02-2012
Woooooooo! Go you!!
countrymom 07:49 AM 02-02-2012
ya for you!!!! Sometimes people need a swift kick in the butt. Oh, I have now seen acually signs at teaching stores that have the "no cell phone" see if you can find one.
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:21 AM 02-02-2012
UH if you cant pay me, I cant watch your child. OK? BUH BYE.

The Fricken nerve of some people.
JennyBear 11:19 AM 02-02-2012
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I'm still working on my backbone so I'm jealous of yours
Crazy8 11:26 AM 02-02-2012
good for you for enforcing your rules. Honestly, when she said she couldn't pay I would have said well, I hope you have other child care arrangements for next week. No pay, no stay!!

And I found this on google....

Heidi 11:30 AM 02-02-2012
You deserve a "pat" on the back!

Uh, I mean....yay!

Mary Poppins 11:46 AM 02-02-2012

Feels great to stick up for yourself, doesn't it!!

I wish you could term her (if I remember right and you are the poster I am thinking of, you can't for financial reasons). I can't think of a better reason than slamming my door!
Michael 11:47 AM 02-02-2012
In life we not only need a backbone but a funnybone and wishbone. I heard that somewhere and it made sense. Good for you.
PitterPatter 11:58 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
good for you for enforcing your rules. Honestly, when she said she couldn't pay I would have said well, I hope you have other child care arrangements for next week. No pay, no stay!!

And I found this on google....
I have that same sign
Im sure you know me 12:00 PM 02-03-2012
I was paid today without anymore complaints!!

Cell phones have not been used since I hung the sign either!

Thanks again to everyone here who has supported my backbone growth. It worked! Now I just have to keep exercising in to keep it strong! Thanks for all the advise which I do take serious and actually use!

Not to toot my own horn but I have to admit I am proud of myself so TOOT TOOT!!

And a big KUDOS to the board members who give advise and support every day!

BTW just so EVERYONE knows I am not the populare unregistered I'm just me. Most of you know me anyway I'm sure.

I hope you all have a wonderful blessed weekend!
MamaBear 09:59 PM 02-04-2012
Woohoo! Good for you! Its amazing how good it feels when the the backbone is in full effect It took me a couple years to get mine with some of these people. I'm glad you stuck to your guns! The sign is a great idea too! Makes total sense. Good job
Meyou 03:30 AM 02-05-2012
Yay!!! Congrats to you and your backbone. I love posts like this.
Tags:backbone, rude behavior, rude clients, rude parents
Reply Up