Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Healthy Parents?!?
Candy 01:38 PM 08-09-2013
I know that anyone can't be to healthy but has anyone every had parents who were just health nuts. Like their kids never has one piece of candy, chocolate, or ice cream? It seems like at a certain point that this would really get on my nerves. Really i have never herd of organic candy, where would you even buy that?
nannyde 02:12 PM 08-09-2013
I don't want that extreme because we love to have some treats. I like 90 percent healthy but 10 percent for treats and comfort foods.
Meyou 02:24 PM 08-09-2013
We do about the same as Nannyde. We eat almost all healthy food almost all of the time but when it's time for a treat we have one. For my kids that's often school parties, birthdays and holidays.

I do make whole food popsicles, fudgesicles, fruit rollups and fruit gummies for them so they aren't totally deprived. lol
spud912 02:33 PM 08-09-2013
Yeah I like healthy homemade meals, whole grains, fresh produce and whole foods.....BUT I also like to treat the kids every now and then to some freshly baked cookies or something equally as junky .
Unregistered 02:50 PM 08-09-2013
Parent got upset, child wanted dinner to go, the parent feeds her salads, child is seven and very slender.
Unregistered 03:14 PM 08-09-2013
I was at an event one time where there were children that weren't allowed sugary foods. I was so shocked/appalled at how they acted when they actually had it! They were allowed a small brownie with ice cream. The children went balistic to the point of after eating everything they licked the bowls! These were usually pretty well behaved children too! My child just sat eating calmly/politely and had the widest eyes watching these children.

So sometimes I wonder is this how all children act that aren't allowed to have sugar?
Familycare71 03:28 PM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I was at an event one time where there were children that weren't allowed sugary foods. I was so shocked/appalled at how they acted when they actually had it! They were allowed a small brownie with ice cream. The children went balistic to the point of after eating everything they licked the bowls! These were usually pretty well behaved children too! My child just sat eating calmly/politely and had the widest eyes watching these children.

So sometimes I wonder is this how all children act that aren't allowed to have sugar?
From what I've seen- yes... It is made into such a big deal! I am a moderation person myself.
sally 03:39 PM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

When I was younger my mom made us kool aid often and one of my friends was almosy never allowed to have sugar. One day at a picnic he drank a couple glasses of kool aid and went nuts. His mother was very upset and told my mom she never added sugar to the kool aid she made at home and thought everyone did that too.
Familycare71 04:04 PM 08-09-2013
The thing that drives me nuts is sugar itself doesn't make kids hyper... There are some parents who just don't understand this-
It is the dyes and caffeen (chocolate) that do that-
One of my pet peeves is sitting at a get together and someone's kid is acting obnoxious and they say: oh all that sugar just make --- crazy! Ummm - no- you allowing --- to act crazy when he eats sugar would be the culprit!! How about you stop saying: oh --- you ate sugar now you'll be naughty! Sounds like its just a smart kid
Starburst 09:12 PM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
The thing that drives me nuts is sugar itself doesn't make kids hyper... There are some parents who just don't understand this-
It is the dyes and caffeen (chocolate) that do that-
One of my pet peeves is sitting at a get together and someone's kid is acting obnoxious and they say: oh all that sugar just make --- crazy! Ummm - no- you allowing --- to act crazy when he eats sugar would be the culprit!! How about you stop saying: oh --- you ate sugar now you'll be naughty! Sounds like its just a smart kid
I actually heard that some parents who are anti-meds and have children with ADHD use dye-free diets (along with other restrictions such as wheat and gluten) actually do have high success rates.

Though, if someone is not used to sugary foods/drinks they can develop a low sugar tolerance or even sugar sensitivity. I like occasional sweets like chocolate chip cookies, but I am not too much of a fan on overly sugary sweets. I haven't drank dark soda since I was 8 years old (my own personal choice) but I will occasionally have orange soda if there is nothing else to drink (never dark sodas). I get super jittery and even feel sick if I drink orange soda, Lipton canned or bottled ice tea (they have lots of added sugar), or sweet tea. I hate when I go to McDonalds and ask for regular iced tea and they give me sweet tea (it's really nasty).
Meyou 04:40 AM 08-10-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I actually heard that some parents who are anti-meds and have children with ADHD use dye-free diets (along with other restrictions such as wheat and gluten) actually do have high success rates.

Though, if someone is not used to sugary foods/drinks they can develop a low sugar tolerance or even sugar sensitivity. I like occasional sweets like chocolate chip cookies, but I am not too much of a fan on overly sugary sweets. I haven't drank dark soda since I was 8 years old (my own personal choice) but I will occasionally have orange soda if there is nothing else to drink (never dark sodas). I get super jittery and even feel sick if I drink orange soda, Lipton canned or bottled ice tea (they have lots of added sugar), or sweet tea. I hate when I go to McDonalds and ask for regular iced tea and they give me sweet tea (it's really nasty).
This is why we eat whole foods. There was a complete personality change in my dd after 4 days off processed foods. She literally walked away from her ADHD symptoms and became a different child. We actually consider her a child with food allergies now rather than a child with ADHD because they symptoms rarely appear without a food trigger.

She isn't sensitive to sugar but she reacts violently to dyes, MSG, nitrates, added flavor and pretty much every chemical additive out there. So if you gave her a cupcake from a bakery she WILL go ballistic but it has nothing to do with the sugar. After her birthday last year she was so wound she couldn't stop her eyes from rolling around in her head and she ran in circles for 45 minutes.

We chose to let her have her normal kid moments with food and deal with the repercussions because she is still a kid. But we do limit those times as much as we can. I'm always, ALWAYS baking healthier alternatives for school parties so there are options for her.

She's a little older now and she doesn't like how she feels when she gets into something so she's pretty good to ask what is in things or where they are from if she's at a friends house. She calls it spinning when she's eaten something she shouldn't. She said her brain and her body feels like it's spinning like a bike tire going as fast it can go and she doesn't like it.
Play Care 06:40 AM 08-10-2013
I am not nearly one of "those" parents, but I am totally starting to understand where they are coming from!
I consider myself an "everything in moderation" type of person. But when I actually think about it, moderation can add up My kids are school aged, and there are times they get treats (classmates birthdays, rewards from teacher, etc.) in school. Then they come home and may get a piece of candy (think around Halloween time, Valentines Day or they attended a birthday party recently) Then we go out and a family member offers them candy or gum or a lolli...

My older daughter does have ADHD - we have a strong family history of this going back to my grandfather (who I know ate whole foods *when* they even had money to buy it...) and even though she doesn't have the "h" component, too much of those treats seem to make her hyper. She also has a condition where the enamel of her teeth are not as thick as they should be so she is prone to cavities and already has TWO crowns. Yet another reason we severely limit sugary foods and treats. One day she came home chomping on "double bubble" gum because it was a "treat" from her teacher. Because of the crowns she's not supposed to have gum, especially that kind. Her mouth hurt for a couple of days because of it. This was a great lesson for her, as I reminded her that she is not supposed to have sticky candy or gum and it's her job to say "no thank you." But really, couldn't the teacher found another way to treat the kids?

And after all the whole quote is "everything in moderation, including moderation" Sometimes there is a good reason for "all or nothing."
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:24 PM 08-10-2013
I have become one of those parents. My son has an intolerance for additives, preservatives and food coloring. Now, he is 17 and sometimes that isn't possible but, we try as much as we can when he is home.
If I had a child now, I would be that person. I don't feed the kids junk. Maybe a once or twice a year "treat", usually if the parents request to send something for an event. For apple week we are going to make apple crisp in individual pans and I will send them home. I will make one pan and give them a sample. When we do make a sweet I send it home because the parents love it and the kids love to take it home.
If I had "that parent" I would respect their wishes and try to support their decision as much as possible for their dd's sake.
nannyde 05:56 PM 08-10-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I have become one of those parents. My son has an intolerance for additives, preservatives and food coloring. Now, he is 17 and sometimes that isn't possible but, we try as much as we can when he is home.
If I had a child now, I would be that person. I don't feed the kids junk. Maybe a once or twice a year "treat", usually if the parents request to send something for an event. For apple week we are going to make apple crisp in individual pans and I will send them home. I will make one pan and give them a sample. When we do make a sweet I send it home because the parents love it and the kids love to take it home.
If I had "that parent" I would respect their wishes and try to support their decision as much as possible for their dd's sake.
I love apple crisp made with organic oats and a mix of three kinds of apples... topped off with some vanilla bean ice cream, a squirt of caramel sauce and a hint of DARK chocolate syrup.

Oh my now I have to make it!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 06:55 PM 08-10-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I love apple crisp made with organic oats and a mix of three kinds of apples... topped off with some vanilla bean ice cream, a squirt of caramel sauce and a hint of DARK chocolate syrup.

Oh my now I have to make it!
Ok without the ice cream(I am one of the few people in this world that doesn't really care for ice cream <gasp> only homemade vanilla on occassion), caramel and chocolate I don't do a lot of sweet but I do use a little sugar in it..or honey and some butter It is now apple season and they are yummy. straight, juiced and baked.. mmmmmm.
Familycare71 07:09 PM 08-10-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:

Yes- there is a lot of success removing dyes from children's diets- I know some kids that you know when they have red or yellow dye!! Hyper!!
I get jittery if I have too much butter cream frosting- it just doesn't make you hyper or ill behaved . And I LOVE McDonald's non-sweet tea! But that will keep me up! Lol
Candy 12:08 PM 08-11-2013
Moderation is always good. I remember asking one lady and she said she gave her children organic candy. So i asked what was it and she said dried fruit. Uhm not so much candy in my eyes. But i would hate to see what would happen if one of kids went to a birthday party with candy in the goodie bags.
Cradle2crayons 01:15 PM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Ok without the ice cream(I am one of the few people in this world that doesn't really care for ice cream <gasp> only homemade vanilla on occassion), caramel and chocolate I don't do a lot of sweet but I do use a little sugar in it..or honey and some butter It is now apple season and they are yummy. straight, juiced and baked.. mmmmmm.
I love home made strawberry yum... Heck now I have to make some lol
Reply Up