Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>jealous 2 year old
Maggie 03:59 AM 10-31-2013
I've dealt with jealousy issues in the past but this is extreme. I started a 3 month old on Monday 2 year DCB was fine seemed to like the baby wanted to touch and kiss him he was very sweet to him. Tuesday was ok until afternoon and he started showing signs of jealousy then I thought maybe he was just tired or maybe getting sick and wanted extra attention. Well yesterday was terrible! He cried loud crying with real tears any time the baby was awake. He just followed me crying holding his arms up to be held. I tried sitting next to him with the baby in my lap didn't work. I tried laying the baby on the floor and having us all sit and play together nope he wanted to be in my lap. When another mom came to pick up she held the baby but 2 year old was still crying for me to hold him. I finally gave in and held and cuddled him and he was fine. His dad came to pick him up and he was clinging to me he didn't want to leave. Dad finally coaxed him away and put his coat on to go and DCB went to get the babies coat handed it to the mom who was holding the baby he wanted him to leave too. When the baby is asleep 2 year old is fine he plays by himself and doesn't want much to do with me but as soon as he hears a whimper from the baby he comes running to me crying with arms up to be picked up. Not sure how to handle this any suggestions?
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 10-31-2013
I think that just encouraging the 2 year old to be nice and play nice is all you can do.

If you aren't planning on terming, the 2 yr old is just going to learn to deal with it. No different than a child who experiences sibling rivalry when a new baby is brought into the house....kwim?

I would just continue to be routine and consistent and he will figure out soon enough that new baby isn't going anywhere so he may as well just accept it.

I am sure it's hard for him but with lots of love and reassurance, he'll get it and in a few weeks, it will all be good.
Reply Up