Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Not really crazy

Default Whose Dealt With Yeast Infection In Boys?

I have a dcb who has had a HORRIBLE yeast infection for at least 3 weeks. It is driving the poor kids insane. He claws at the front of his diaper so much it rips and then the foam comes out. It has spread to his inner thighs also, then the elastic rubs on it making it even worse.

I have seen a lot of these rashes over the years and always recommended Lotrimin/Gyna-Lotrimin, which will clear it right away. Kids that have gone to the doctor for it have also been told to get Lotrimin.

This family keeps going to a PA who confirms that it is a yeast rash but keeps writing prescriptions for ointments, cortisone, or saying to use Vaseline. They have been to the doc three times already. I have told both parents several times each to just try the Lotrimin. I even told dcm that I am not trying to act like a know it all but after 22 years of dc I have seen this quite a few times. She seems receptive but then the next day shows up with some new treatment.

I don't know if it is possible but the boy now has a similar looking rash around his mouth. Truth be told I don't even want the kid here at this point.

Why won't they just try the Lotrimin? They trust me with their kid all day why wouldn't they trust that I just *might* know what I am talking about? At this point the rash couldn't get any worse. What would it hurt to try?

I just SMH last night when dcd was saying "we just don't know what to do, we've been tot he doctor 3 times already." I didn't even offer my advice, I've already told them enough.

My local dcfriend thinks I should just get the Lotrimin and use it but I won't do that for many reasons. I would like to for the kids sake but don't think it is a good idea.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would exclude until they get the correct treatment. My one do boy had one last year. Once we realized what it was he got the anti-fungal stuff and it was cleared up immediately. There is no reason for this to continue. and I've heard you should never use vaseline on yeast because it just creates the optimum environment for it to get worse.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Legally Unlicensed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
I would exclude until they get the correct treatment. My one do boy had one last year. Once we realized what it was he got the anti-fungal stuff and it was cleared up immediately. There is no reason for this to continue. and I've heard you should never use vaseline on yeast because it just creates the optimum environment for it to get worse.

Yes, I would exclude, also. This is just a ridiculous situation. They're obviously not getting anywhere with their PA, so they need to find someone that will actually give them what they need to clear it up.

I would exclude based on an uncontrolled, diagnosed yeast infection that is now spreading. He would be allowed to return when a treatment is started that begins to clear it up... and I would be the judge of whether it looks like it's starting to clear up.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Exclude for the unexplained rash on his face.

If parents "dont know what to do" then it's their responsibility to keep seeing someone until they do know.

Atleast that is always what I thought my responsibility was as a parent....
Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Provider

I have a DCB that has had several yeast infections and it does go on his face as well. Lotrimin worked great on the yeast. The doctor prescribed other creams before but lotrimin worked the fastest. The mom and I have noticed a few things although we aren't doctors, but we have noticed that after eating tomatoes it tends to flare up more and also if we dont use a zinc based sunscreen. He has super sensitive skin, he always has. It's a constant battle and I feel like sometimes it's just trial and error but we work closely with each other and the doctor.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

My own LO had lots of yeast infections the first year of his life (he wore braces on his feet that didn't let him open his legs and let things "breathe"). His pediatrician prescribed Nystatin, but told me to try the OTC's first, because they usually work better, and they do.

If Lotrimin doesn't work, there are other options. Terbinafine usually works best for my son (Lamisil...also available in generic) It works MUCH faster than the others (1-2 weeks, others are used for 4-6 weeks). Clotrimazole (Lotrimin) is not as effective at my house, but did work better than the prescription cream.

I would urge the parents to give the OTC's a try, and remind them to complete treatment even if it looks like it is cleared up. I agree that unless the face rash is identified, he shouldn't be at daycare. And Vaseline does not make sense at all for yeast infection, IMO.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Not really crazy

Nystatin ointment is one of the things the PA prescribed that did not work. I wonder if the parents think an OTC couldn't possibly work when a prescription didn't. He is here today and still flaming red.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Family Childcare Provider

I had a yeast infection that wouldn't go away... My DS got thrush from a course of antibiotics while nursing and spread it to me and I gave it to my dh... Oral and topical Nystatin worked for him. But dh & I both had to take Diflucan and that finally kicked it. I tried a 1x Diflucan once before and several OTC meds but the dr gave me a 5 day course and dh a 2x over 3 days course and we were fine. Not sure about Pediatric use of Diflucan, but heck... this has gone on long enough. I know I was miserable!!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady View Post
Nystatin ointment is one of the things the PA prescribed that did not work. I wonder if the parents think an OTC couldn't possibly work when a prescription didn't. He is here today and still flaming red.
My son had one at 22 months just out of the blue... We tried everything and the only thing that finally helped was taking his diaper off and putting on some thin cotton training pants for a few days and air drying whenever possible. That with the OTC yeast cream and he cleared right up.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Not really crazy

That's good to know. I did suggest to dcm the maybe put a cloth diaper on him so he didn't have elastic rubbing on it.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady View Post
That's good to know. I did suggest to dcm the maybe put a cloth diaper on him so he didn't have elastic rubbing on it.
Yes the more breathable the better. Yeast thrives on dark warm and damp places so the more he can "air dry" read: naked at home the better. If he has to wear cotton training pants etc then not too many layers over it. That and the OTC lot riming should clear him right up. Oral and topical yogurt between applications of the loteimin is great too.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:35 AM
Daycare.com Member

I'm confused by ointments and Vaseline Like someone mentioned the yeast thrives in that moist environment. It's probably making it worse! The area needs to breathe as much as possible. Vaseline trapped in by a diaper is making a very warm and moist area, perfect for fundus growth!

I know this isn't the best option, but could you let him air out after a diaper change for a half hour or so per day?

This poor kid! Yeast infections are not fun!!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

I didn't see the previous comment, similar to mine oops