Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Non-Payment Question
blueskiesbutterflies 08:11 AM 11-17-2014
Hello Everyone! I hope this Monday morning finds you well and without issues I have a question that I hope you all can make it clear for me...

I have my parents pay on Monday morning, in advance for the week. My contract and handbook states that if payment is not made or your check is rejected you owe a late fee, tuition, Insufficient fund fee, and any other fees occurred by the bank. Well here is my question...

I state in my contract you are terminated if all fees are not paid by closing that day. My question is, if a parent was not make the payment and I terminate today at 6pm and replace the child at that time do they still owe the tuition fee?

Do you charge just the fees or the tuition with the fees? What do you all do that?
finsup 09:25 AM 11-17-2014
If it were me, and I'm understanding what you're asking correctly, I'd require them to have both payments (regular weekly tuition and late fee) when they came to pick up. At that point, I'd hand them a term letter and would say their last day is Friday. If you want to term them. Or, you could give them a "warning" instead saying if it happens again, they will be done (in more professional terms obviously lol).
blueskiesbutterflies 09:30 AM 11-17-2014
Well, I called mom as soon as I found out the check was going to bounce. Really, I was wanting to get rid of them. Dad has had 4 jobs in 2 months and he is not working right now plus they were evicted from their home last week. I knew non paymnet was coming. I require payment in advance on drop off monday or you cannot stay. So, I called mom and she came and took him. I do have a replacement but what I am asking is do you all normally given them a certain amount of time to pay or dismiss asap? If you dismiss like today, do you still charge them the tuition?

If i were to do care for them this whole week I know they would not pay. They have been borrowing money for weeks now for daycare. I get all these checks from different family members. This morning she hands me a check off her account and I had a gut feeling it was going to bounce. I was right...really the child is very disruptive and hurts the other kids. He is over 2 and is not potty trained yet, stabs kids with crayons in the eye, pushes others down, messes in everything, takes toys away, and is very bossy...Is is unreasonable I give her till 6:00 today to pay or she is dismissed?
midaycare 09:58 AM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by blueskiesbutterflies:
Well, I called mom as soon as I found out the check was going to bounce. Really, I was wanting to get rid of them. Dad has had 4 jobs in 2 months and he is not working right now plus they were evicted from their home last week. I knew non paymnet was coming. I require payment in advance on drop off monday or you cannot stay. So, I called mom and she came and took him. I do have a replacement but what I am asking is do you all normally given them a certain amount of time to pay or dismiss asap? If you dismiss like today, do you still charge them the tuition?

If i were to do care for them this whole week I know they would not pay. They have been borrowing money for weeks now for daycare. I get all these checks from different family members. This morning she hands me a check off her account and I had a gut feeling it was going to bounce. I was right...really the child is very disruptive and hurts the other kids. He is over 2 and is not potty trained yet, stabs kids with crayons in the eye, pushes others down, messes in everything, takes toys away, and is very bossy...Is is unreasonable I give her till 6:00 today to pay or she is dismissed?
I would give her until this evening to pay, and then I think you are fair to term is this is an ongoing issue.

But payment and crappy behavior from dcb are two different things. Pick one and go with it. If you stick with payment and she doesn't pay, term. But I wouldn't charge her for the whole week - you're most likely not going to get it anyway. Why waste the time, effort, and energy getting upset about it?
TheGoodLife 10:04 AM 11-17-2014
I would suggest telling her you need cash as well- then you don have to worry about not getting a good check, and can term when you know you are paid up. I'd give term notice after payment.
blueskiesbutterflies 10:41 AM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I would give her until this evening to pay, and then I think you are fair to term is this is an ongoing issue.

But payment and crappy behavior from dcb are two different things. Pick one and go with it. If you stick with payment and she doesn't pay, term. But I wouldn't charge her for the whole week - you're most likely not going to get it anyway. Why waste the time, effort, and energy getting upset about it?
I am willing to lose it...both parents are not working and got evicted. I knew it was coming..and anyways, she cleaned out the cubby. So I am sure my problem worked itself out. Really, I did not lose anything because I sent him home within the hour of arrival. Im not doing collections on them because they have a long list of creditors and no place to live much less a job so I am sure I would get nothing but a headache from the whole situation. I have the spot filled if she does not pay by 6. If she does I guess I will keep him until she stops paying again. I normally do ONE bad check and then cash from then on. Thanks for the wonderful advice..
blueskiesbutterflies 10:43 AM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
I would suggest telling her you need cash as well- then you don have to worry about not getting a good check, and can term when you know you are paid up. I'd give term notice after payment.
I never thought of that! I did tell her cash from now on. Then per my contract you are dismissed until payment is made. Payment has to be made in cash and before I close with all fees related. I am pretty sure she is not coming back... From now on though, I think with a situation like this I will let it ride till I get payment without sending out a rules review and with dismissing notice and once I get payment I will term...thanks
Reply Up