Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>kids who "inhale" their food
lilcupcakes09 09:03 AM 03-19-2015
How do you handle kids who shovel food in order to eush through a meal?? I have older ones that do this.... I also have a 2 year old who just shovels because this is how she eats. I can't seem to get her ti slow down unless I physically sit there and feed her one bite at a time, which is not logical. She weighs 35 lbs and can eat as much as her 11 year old growing brother, then ask for more. Obviously I give her servings that I think suffice her appetite but she is done her meals in less than 5 minutes generally and locking the plate!
daycarediva 09:17 AM 03-19-2015
I have one guy that does this. I ok'ed it with the food program to give his meal in components. He gets a FULL glass of water while we are serving (helps fill him up). Then he gets a full serving of veggies, and LOTS of reminders to sloooooow down. Chew carefully. Etc. Then he gets the rest of the meal components. If it's a 'compound' meal, he gets small amounts at a time.

He gets milk when he has had firsts gone, while we wait for the other kids to finish eating. THEN I give him seconds of food, same routine.

I also give him the APPROPRIATE serving size, and for seconds- 1/2 of a serving size of everything but veggies. They can eat the veggies until they're gone because they're a YES/GREEN LIGHT/GO food here.

THEN he gets another full cup of water, and a reminder of when the next meal is.

So insane, his parents, grandparents both say he DOES NOT eat at home, if that's accurate, it's because he is SO FULL from my house!
Gemma 09:27 AM 03-19-2015
I cut food into small pieces, then I remind all the kids to take one at a time, or they will not be eating by themselves.
Reply Up