Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Angel turned devil :)
Josiegirl 02:48 AM 03-25-2015
I have the sweetest little 2 1/2 yo dcg(3 in May), she's been here since she was 1 yo. She started out FT then switched to 2 days a week maybe 9 months ago. I've noticed the past few weeks she's been coming, she's been doing lots of pushing and snatching toys away because she wants them. She's an only child and this is one of the few places she gets interaction with other kids so I'm sure she's learned some of this behavior from the toddlers I have. When she snatches toys away I help her give them back, She cries like the world is ending. She's ultra sensitive and it makes me feel really bad but I cannot let her get away with these things either.
Yesterday was one of the worst days I've had as far as the kids interacting. Lots of pushing and hitting. I feel like I've lost all control of this group. Any suggestions?
Eta: She'll be going back to FT the beginning of the summer so I don't know if that will help or not.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 03-25-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have the sweetest little 2 1/2 yo dcg(3 in May), she's been here since she was 1 yo. She started out FT then switched to 2 days a week maybe 9 months ago. I've noticed the past few weeks she's been coming, she's been doing lots of pushing and snatching toys away because she wants them. She's an only child and this is one of the few places she gets interaction with other kids so I'm sure she's learned some of this behavior from the toddlers I have. When she snatches toys away I help her give them back, She cries like the world is ending. She's ultra sensitive and it makes me feel really bad but I cannot let her get away with these things either.
Yesterday was one of the worst days I've had as far as the kids interacting. Lots of pushing and hitting. I feel like I've lost all control of this group. Any suggestions?
Eta: She'll be going back to FT the beginning of the summer so I don't know if that will help or not.
I am guessing her "new" behavior is due to the fact that she was full time but is now part time. Her snatching toys away says that she is acting in a possessive manner and that she feels the toys were once all hers so they are still all hers. Toddler property laws.....kwim?

Plus she views the others as competition since she probably thinks they are all there the days she is not and she is missing out and no longer involved in all the day to day activities she once was.

I would set out a group of toys and tell her those are what she is allowed to play with for not. She is not to take toys from others.

After a bit switch up the toys yourself and give her new options.

YOU tell her which things/toys she can and can't play with until she gets a firmer grasp on cooperative play...which doesn't happen until closer to 3-3.5 OR until there is a more consistent attendance routine for her because I am thinking that is the root of the change in her behavior.
Gemma 10:35 AM 03-25-2015
Agree with BC
Reply Up