Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Prog???
jessrlee 10:40 AM 08-31-2011
This part is a vent:

I really feel like the food program sets themselves up for failure sometimes! My rep inspected me today, and I got a talking to because she says my menus are not "complete" enough.

What happed is: For lunch we had Chicken and wild rice with carrots, celery, onions and corn in the crockpot, cold pickled beets, and kiwi served with milk. So my rep said that my menu needs to reflect all of the grain, fruit, meat, veggie served every day. I want to know why??? I can only count a dish-in-one for two food groups, so I always add more veggies and fruit on the side. I guess I'm just mad because my menu said- Chicken and wild rice, beets, kiwi, milk. So by their rules I got all of my components! GRRRRR!!

Actual question:

Is this a rule where you are? She said I didn't have to do it if I sent in a recipie, but I would have to write her a cookbook! I'm always adding veggie puree, fruit puree, flax seed, anything to bump nutrition! What do your menu's look like if you have to do this?
mismatchedsocks 10:46 AM 08-31-2011
Mine used to be vague like that, and my rep said just to put the main food in. She said their worries are when someone puts onions as a veggie, you know that they are not having half a cup of onions in a serving, yet its part of the soup. I think what you served is fine with components. Not sure her issue with that. Even if you didnt add other things to it. ??

Now my veggies say things like potato/carrot/onion or carrot/peas instead of just picking one of those to make the serving size. Maybe they need something like that.
morgan24 10:59 AM 08-31-2011
I break everything down on my menu instead of doing mixed dishes. That way they can't nit pick my menu. I would write chicken, rice, beets, kiwi & milk. When I did mixed dishes like you did a couple of them would question it. I have a really nice rep now and she wouldn't care, but I got in the habit of breaking dishes down.
jessrlee 11:14 AM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I break everything down on my menu instead of doing mixed dishes. That way they can't nit pick my menu. I would write chicken, rice, beets, kiwi & milk. When I did mixed dishes like you did a couple of them would question it. I have a really nice rep now and she wouldn't care, but I got in the habit of breaking dishes down.

So you don't serve pot-in-one meals at all? I don't think that would work for me. besides I have about 2mos of meals in my freezers that would go to waste. I find my kiddos eat a lot better when everything is mixed in.
daycare 11:19 AM 08-31-2011
wow I would not be open to having to send in the entire menu. I log onto Minute menu kids food program and claim all of my meals and children fed that way. I have to use their codes and program so even if I serve more veggies or fruits or other componet I can't tell them as there is no where on thier form to expalin it. I really like the program its very easy to use and it only takes about 5 min a day for me to track everything...
blessedmess8 11:25 AM 08-31-2011
I'm confused. Clearly, despite what you add in as "extra" (the veggies in your dish), you still had a fruit and veggie on the side, too. So, what's the problem? You exceeded the requirements! I don't understand what her issue was!!

And minute menu rocks my world, by-the-way!!!
Tags:food program, food program - menu, menu, vent
Reply Up