Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Carbon Monoxide Placement
Unregistered 05:03 PM 09-10-2012
Hi, I am in California and I am having my fire inspection tomorrow. My fire marshal said I has to have a carbon monoxide alarm. I have 2 but I don't know where they need to be placed. Can someone tell me.
Michael 11:13 PM 09-10-2012
I would place them in the play/sleep area and kitchen.
A CHILD's Haven 04:07 AM 09-11-2012
Our licensing states we need to have one on each floor of the house. (Wisconsin)
Angelsj 04:44 AM 09-11-2012
We have ours on each floor just outside the sleeping area. When you place them, place them near the FLOOR, not the ceiling like you would a smoke detector. Smoke rises, CO sinks.
MarinaVanessa 12:01 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
We have ours on each floor just outside the sleeping area. When you place them, place them near the FLOOR, not the ceiling like you would a smoke detector. Smoke rises, CO sinks.
Yes this exactly. Also keep them near any appliances that could emit carbon monoxide for example a water heater, stove etc. ALWAYS low to the ground. Don't bother purchasing the duo combo kits (smoke/carbon monoxide detectors) it's a waste. Either the smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector feature will be cancelled out because of placement. The smoke detector feature wouldn't work properly if placed near the floor and the carbon monoxide detector feature wouldnt work properly if installed on the ceiling. (PS I'm in CA too)
WImom 12:34 PM 09-11-2012
Didn't realize they needed to be towards the floor. I'll be changing mine today! Thanks!
sharlan 03:34 PM 09-11-2012
When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air.

Installation locations vary by manufacturer. Manufacturers' recommendations differ to a certain degree based on research conducted with each one's specific detector. Therefore, make sure to read the provided installation manual for each detector before installing.
sharlan 03:36 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
Didn't realize they needed to be towards the floor. I'll be changing mine today! Thanks!
Read your owner's manual first.
BumbleBee 03:43 PM 09-11-2012
I would definately read the owners manual before installing. My carbon monoxide detector manual says to mount it 2-5 ft above the floor and 15 ft away from any gas appliances.
daycare 07:34 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Read your owner's manual first.
Ditto. Mine said to place above a door threshold or on the wall close to the celling near my heater. But not on the same wall as my heater.
Crazy8 07:40 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I would definately read the owners manual before installing. My carbon monoxide detector manual says to mount it 2-5 ft above the floor and 15 ft away from any gas appliances.
I remember mine saying something about the gas appliances too - so the kitchen probably isn't the best place if you have a gas stove (mine is gas and my laundry is right of the kitchen too with a gas dryer). Mine are in the hallways on each level of the house.
Tags:california - regulations, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide
Reply Up