Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gate Climber?
ABCDaycareMN 09:14 AM 03-06-2013
My DCG is a gate climber. I have had to repeatedly tell her to stay off/away from them. This last time it fell down on her, more so scared her.

Any suggestions to keep her away/off the gate? The one I have issues with is at the bottom of the stairs and is pressure mounted. I am not able to have a drilled in one because of the spindle bannister.
Play Care 09:26 AM 03-06-2013
I had this issue with a DC boy. I had to start giving him time outs, since distraction, redirections and firm "NO GATE!" meant nothing. Obviously with six boys in my care we already get outside (where they CAN climb) a lot so in my case it wasn't as if he wasn't getting climb time. He hasn't done it since, so I'm hoping he is over it.
countrymom 09:27 AM 03-06-2013
I raised the gate up when I put it up, but not high enough that their heads will fit thru (yes I even had kids try to squeeze under the gates) this may help too.
LK5kids 12:20 PM 03-06-2013
I have the walk through gates that have a hinge. They are really tightly installed with knobs that turn and tighten. They are about $40.00. They don't fall in like the pressure gates but are not installed with screws.
ABCDaycareMN 12:23 PM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I have the walk through gates that have a hinge. They are really tightly installed with knobs that turn and tighten. They are about $40.00. They don't fall in like the pressure gates but are not installed with screws.
That is what I have.
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 03-06-2013
You need to make a boundary line that is on either side of the gate so the child knows that they cannot go past that line.

Use masking tape, a folded blanket or anything to create a barrier the child can visually see.

Nan has a great video about this concept on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGa9BURyIw0
Unregistered 06:14 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You need to make a boundary line that is on either side of the gate so the child knows that they cannot go past that line.

Use masking tape, a folded blanket or anything to create a barrier the child can visually see.

Nan has a great video about this concept on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGa9BURyIw0
I like that! Because of where my gates need to be, I can not use gates/furniture to block the area because it would also block an exit. But I could use towels since its only a visual barrier.
laundrymom 07:33 AM 03-07-2013
Can you lean a 'decoy' gate (or something similar, I use a full size commercial aluminum sheet pan. When it falls a huge clang deters them form repeating it) against the mounted one? I've also stacked gates. Two high.

I also have a cheap motion dinger, for a driveway, mounted that i used tape across the sensor to focus and pinpoint the forbidden area. When the chIld steps into the path, a dinger sounds. I redirect immediately. Kids haven't figured it out yet. It's 5 years old. Lol
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Can you lean a 'decoy' gate (or something similar, I use a full size commercial aluminum sheet pan. When it falls a huge clang deters them form repeating it) against the mounted one? I've also stacked gates. Two high.

I also have a cheap motion dinger, for a driveway, mounted that i used tape across the sensor to focus and pinpoint the forbidden area. When the chIld steps into the path, a dinger sounds. I redirect immediately. Kids haven't figured it out yet. It's 5 years old. Lol
That's awesome!! I have one too but I have it outside so the kids don't cross the boundaries in the yard to where I don't want them playing.

I would never have thought to use one inside.
Tags:climbers, gates
Reply Up