Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Shouldn't Have Said That....Vent
daycare 11:55 AM 12-15-2015
So I have a family that is very VERY well to do.

They are the kind of family that lives life flying by the seat of their pants and show their financial gains through purchased items.

they have been in my program and have had issues making on time payments. I have been very laxed, my fault.

well they have no issue paying the $150 late fee when their payment is less than that each week. UGH normally I allow 3 late pay and then term.

Well dcf is always on some vacation and dck has hardly been here at preschool.

so today i stepped up and said no pay no stay. dcm keeps on bragging about how much fun they had shopping in vegas and skiing in colorado.

I open my big mouth and said nice to know you can afford to do all of those fun expensive things, but can't afford to pay me on time? I didn't realize there was another parent right behind them at the door....OH NO. open mouth insert foot.

dcm handed me the cash and walked out. do I say anything and say sorry or just drop it? I feel it was very unprofessional of me to say that...
Baby Beluga 12:04 PM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

They are the kind of family that lives life flying by the seat of their pants and show their financial gains through purchased items.

they have been in my program and have had issues making on time payments. I have been very laxed, my fault.

well they have no issue paying the $150 late fee when their payment is less than that each week. UGH normally I allow 3 late pay and then term.

so today i stepped up and said no pay no stay. dcm keeps on bragging about how much fun they had shopping in vegas and skiing in colorado.

I open my big mouth and said nice to know you can afford to do all of those fun expensive things, but can't afford to pay me on time? I didn't realize there was another parent right behind them at the door....OH NO. open mouth insert foot.

dcm handed me the cash and walked out. do I say anything and say sorry or just drop it? I feel it was very unprofessional of me to say that...
*hugs* Personally, I would let it go. You are human and these things sometimes happen.

I also want to say, if the mom (who was late paying) was embarrassed - good. That may be unprofessional of me to think, but it was very disrespectful of her to intentionally not pay on time. Perhaps a little embarrassment may make her realize that being okay with paying a late fee does not make being late okay.
momofsix 12:09 PM 12-15-2015
Oh wow- kind of serves them right to be embarrassed in front of another parent! Did the other parent hear and respond in any way?
I guess I would apologize though-even though they deserved it. More that it was said in front of someone than what was actually what was said.
"I just wanted to apologize for what was said yesterday. I had NO idea that Mr. Hidden was right behind you. I would never intentionally embarrass you or disclose something personal like that to another parent. I'm sorry that it happened, and I will be more careful in the future>"
Controlled Chaos 12:37 PM 12-15-2015
I would let it go. Honestly, I don't have private chats with parents away from other parents about payment, how could you? No way in my set up. I either say "thanks for paying on time!" or "I'm afraid Susy can't stay until you pay, have a great day. Goodbye." Whoever is around hears it. If I had a repeat offender I would probably have said something similar. But I'm in to honesty above preventing awkward situations.
daycare 12:41 PM 12-15-2015
to be honest i don't feel bad for saying it, I just feel that it was not professional of me and made me look bad. lol
Thriftylady 12:45 PM 12-15-2015
to be honest i don't feel bad for saying it, I just feel that it was not professional of me and made me look bad. lol
You sound so much like me! I don't know how many times I have said something and then thought "maybe I should feel bad but I don't".
daycare 12:56 PM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
You sound so much like me! I don't know how many times I have said something and then thought "maybe I should feel bad but I don't".
lol....Well most of this is my fault considering I should have already term the family for making so many late payments.

I think maybe I will be chicken and just send an email saying sorry.

but still don't feel bad...lol
midaycare 01:16 PM 12-15-2015
Depends how much you value the family. Sounds like they are a lot of trouble. In that case, I wouldn't apologize.

FWIW...some people are great at appearing to have a lot of money, but are actually in debt up to their eyeballs.
daycare 01:18 PM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Depends how much you value the family. Sounds like they are a lot of trouble. In that case, I wouldn't apologize.

FWIW...some people are great at appearing to have a lot of money, but are actually in debt up to their eyeballs.
OH i agree..... They are a pain in my you know what. If I didn't love love love dck to death, it would have been much easier to just say hit the road jack.

very true on that. just because they own half of the town, doesnt not mean they don't have a ton of debt.
Thriftylady 01:20 PM 12-15-2015
OH i agree..... They are a pain in my you know what. If I didn't love love love dck to death, it would have been much easier to just say hit the road jack.

very true on that. just because they own half of the town, doesnt not mean they don't have a ton of debt.
He who has the most toys owes the most lol! I have no toys of my own lol.
My3cents 10:46 AM 12-16-2015
Best thing you can do for yourself and your business is have the parents pay a week ahead. Problem solved. When parents come in and don't have the payment for the next week. I simply ask them to give it to me Monday morning. I already have the week owed payment because they pay a week ahead. Best advice given on this forum!!! They don't have it Monday morning they go home and get it and take child with them. This is my job and source of income. I am not a loan bank or a friend you can borrow money from- I work hard!
DaveA 11:43 AM 12-16-2015
I wouldn't worry about an email or anything of the sort. Moment's passed, you got paid, and maybe the DCF will get in their head to pay on time. If they're embarrassed because another family was around, oh well. You're good.
Annalee 11:46 AM 12-16-2015
We are human....don't worry about it.....learn from it!
Snowmom 08:37 PM 12-16-2015

Ha. I bet it felt good though.
I wouldn't stress about it.
jenboo 09:25 PM 12-16-2015
I know this doesn't help but I would love those $150 late fees! I would tell them to pay as late as they want
Josiegirl 03:48 PM 12-17-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I know this doesn't help but I would love those $150 late fees! I would tell them to pay as late as they want
LOL That was my first thought too! But I have to admit it'd tick me off knowing how much they were spending on everything else but childcare, while I was scrimping to buy craft materials for their child! I'm positive something would've slipped outta my mouth too.
MarinaVanessa 09:15 AM 12-18-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I was just thinking the same thing
Unregistered 01:01 PM 12-18-2015
lol....Well most of this is my fault considering I should have already term the family for making so many late payments.

I think maybe I will be chicken and just send an email saying sorry.

but still don't feel bad...lol
You have a grudge due to late payments. It bugs you. That's why you said it. I think anyways Just stick to your rules and you'll feel better
Tags:foot in mouth, late payment, vent
Reply Up