Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Deduct Upgrades for New Home Construction Individually?
tn0087 10:48 AM 02-18-2017
Hi Everyone,
In February of this year we moved into a new home we had built. We elected to pay for several upgrades out-of-pocket which was done at closing. My question is, do we itemize these individually as expenses on our return or as one lump "new home upgrades" line item?

If we itemize them, several will fall under the $2500 amount leading me to believe we can write them off in one year. This seems more desirable to me than depreciating the lump sum, but since all were paid for together at closing as part of building the home, am I allowed to itemize them individually?

Thanks for any thoughts anyone has!
TomCopeland 12:33 PM 02-19-2017
Originally Posted by tn0087:
Hi Everyone,
In February of this year we moved into a new home we had built. We elected to pay for several upgrades out-of-pocket which was done at closing. My question is, do we itemize these individually as expenses on our return or as one lump "new home upgrades" line item?

If we itemize them, several will fall under the $2500 amount leading me to believe we can write them off in one year. This seems more desirable to me than depreciating the lump sum, but since all were paid for together at closing as part of building the home, am I allowed to itemize them individually?

Thanks for any thoughts anyone has!
If the upgrades were not one project, but several projects, deduct in one year any one project that cost less than $2,500.
tn0087 01:21 PM 02-22-2017
Thanks, Tom!
Tags:home, house, new construction, taxes, upgrades
Reply Up