Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Where do you stand on Gay Marriage?
Marriage is only between a man and a woman 33 24.26%
Never should be allowed 6 4.41%
Should be allowed 89 65.44%
It's none of my business 28 20.59%
eeewwwww....that grosses me out :/ 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll
First ... 2 3 4
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gay Marriage
jokalima 06:55 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Maybe this is a location thing because I swear abortion is in the news near daily and it makes me absolutely sick.

Just yesterday alone there was loads of coverage on the woman suing the abortion clinic for her "failed abortion" as well as more details and reactions on ND's ban.

There is no way anyone could avoid the topic here so I have no clue what you're talking about.
In my case, I read more about it on the web that I see on the News. I've seen the stories about the young women that have died after their abortions here in the net, and the coverage of their stories on a daily basis. I have searched for the same story on major news channel sites and did not find the info. Maybe my search is not quite good enough, it might be a possibility. I've also tried to see if they talk about it on the news, and again, maybe a turn the TV on at the wrong time, but I have not seen it. And is only a example of diff things I have not seen.
jokalima 07:01 AM 04-04-2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20523950

There a places where it is practiced, yes the news is about Germany trying to ban it ( not sure if they did ) But my point is, that it is not crazy to think that people might want to consider other sexual behaviors as a sexual orientation and one day want to legalize it.
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Candy:
Wow havent been on her in a day or two and didn't know this would still be going on. Bottom line in my opinion is if its not happening in your house then it shouldn't bother you. And if it bothers you just to see two gay people walking holding hands then you have a serious problem.
Just because something isn't happening in my household doesn't mean I have to support or accept it.

To imply that someone who is bothered by seeing something they simply do not believe in or support as having serious issues is rude and completely asinine.

I respect the fact that not everyone agrees with me or agrees with the same things I believe.

I also accept the fact that millions of people do not share my same beliefs but millions of other people do and just because someone's beliefs aren't the same as yours doesn't make you automatically right and them wrong.

I am not telling anyone who believes differently than I do that they have serious problems so I believe the respect should go both ways.
Willow 07:14 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by jokalima:
In my case, I read more about it on the web that I see on the News. I've seen the stories about the young women that have died after their abortions here in the net, and the coverage of their stories on a daily basis. I have searched for the same story on major news channel sites and did not find the info. Maybe my search is not quite good enough, it might be a possibility. I've also tried to see if they talk about it on the news, and again, maybe a turn the TV on at the wrong time, but I have not seen it. And is only a example of diff things I have not seen.
Yeah I don't go looking for that sort of stuff on the internet because it makes me sick but I do watch HLN on in the mornings before kids get here and watch a bit of that or MSNBC on in the evenings.

There is always plenty enough there on the topic quite regularly.
CedarCreek 07:16 AM 04-04-2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20523950

There a places where it is practiced, yes the news is about Germany trying to ban it ( not sure if they did ) But my point is, that it is not crazy to think that people might want to consider other sexual behaviors as a sexual orientation and one day want to legalize it.
Disagree.
Willow 07:18 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Abortion makes the news here a lot too. But this is Texas. Super red state.
I'm in MN, one of the bluest of he blue.

How much you want to make a bet the context of the local reporting on such topics is night and day compared lol
CedarCreek 07:23 AM 04-04-2013
I'm in MN, one of the bluest of he blue.

How much you want to make a bet the context of the local reporting on such topics is night and day compared lol
Oh for sure!!

Here, it's all about the negatives of abortion. I know not everyone agrees with it and that's okay but if it's made illegal I would hate to see all of the unsafe alternatives.

Maybe we should make another thread on abortion! Jk..maybe once this has cooled.
Country Kids 07:25 AM 04-04-2013
I have noticed that none of the Canadians have commented (that I remember).

From what I'm reading it is legal in Canada for a gay couple to be actually married.

Was there a big uproar when this happened, where there rallies, marches, do have it done, gay pride parades. Do churches preform them or do they have to be done in Government offices? I guess I'm really wanting to know if its a causes a big division among the people of Canada.

I guess I'm really curious of how it is handled in other countries as I honestly don't remember when Canada passed this.
jokalima 07:35 AM 04-04-2013
Yeah I don't go looking for that sort of stuff on the internet because it makes me sick but I do watch HLN on in the mornings before kids get here and watch a bit of that or MSNBC on in the evenings.

There is always plenty enough there on the topic quite regularly.
I like to stay informed about what happens with that, I am very passionate about that topic as well. You really don't have to go searching all the time, there are groups that keep you informed, the info comes to you.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

From what I'm reading it is legal in Canada for a gay couple to be actually married.

Was there a big uproar when this happened, where there rallies, marches, do have it done, gay pride parades. Do churches preform them or do they have to be done in Government offices? I guess I'm really wanting to know if its a causes a big division among the people of Canada.

I guess I'm really curious of how it is handled in other countries as I honestly don't remember when Canada passed this.
Several providers from Canada have been actively involved in this thread.
AnneCordelia, MyNana23, Julie, MissMuffets..... ones I can think of off the top of my head....

Here is AnneCordelia's post from the first page:

Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I am proud to live in Canada where gay marriage is already celebrated and legal! DH and I married at Toronto City Hall and the couple before us and the couple after us were gay and came to Canada from NY to have a marriage that was recognised somewhere. 10 years it's been legal here now.

My husband and I are non-religious, and consider ourselves atheist. We still value and treasure our marriage, and would not be willing to give up that name. Marriage has been a civil union for thousands of years, and not just a religious one. Seperate is not equal.

Willow 07:36 AM 04-04-2013
CK - For civil unions to be recognized by the state they have to be performed by someone ordained....whether than means someone in a church setting or a justice of the peace is moot. Since most churches do not recognize civil unions they are most often performed at court houses by JOP's.
Willow 07:45 AM 04-04-2013
I like to stay informed about what happens with that, I am very passionate about that topic as well. You really don't have to go searching all the time, there are groups that keep you informed, the info comes to you.
The last thing I need at in my days are emails about dead aborted babies. Especially since we have tried to conceive for so long and have only suffered through multiple losses.

Sorry, but ewww.

I get how it works. I get that women do it. There really isn't anything more one needs to know about it imho.
jokalima 07:58 AM 04-04-2013
The last thing I need at in my days are emails about dead aborted babies. Especially since we have tried to conceive for so long and have only suffered through multiple losses.

Sorry, but ewww.

I get how it works. I get that women do it. There really isn't anything more one needs to know about it imho.
I can understand how you feel, have suffer infertility myself and no longer able to convinced. But to clarify, is not all e-mails about dead aborted babies, there is more info to it than that. Sorry for your losses, I might not have gone through that exactly, but when I lost my fertility it felt like I lost a child and it was a extremely painful time for us.
Unregistered 08:14 AM 04-04-2013

I'm sure there was uneasyness from some people and protests and rallies especially in the prairies which tend to be more Conservative. The only hositle issue I heard about was from a local church who was going to preform s/s marriages. A few elderly people wrote to the paper about why they were leaving the church.

I don't have any friends who do not support the new law and only 1 family member who disagrees but he's a homophobe anyway. Not that all people who are against s/s marriage are homophobic but he is.

The very Liberal/Green area here happily celebrates the annual gay pride parade and for the most part is very supportive of the LGBT community. The media is mostly always positive and articles tend to be about LGBT intolerance and bullying issues.
littlemissmuffet 08:15 AM 04-04-2013

I'm Canadian and proud of it !!!

There were big uproars when same-sex marriage was beginning to be legalized in Canada 10 years ago... positive ones - celebrating the rights and freedoms of same-sex couples and Canadians!

I actually don't personally know anyone that doesn't support same-sex marriage so I don't recall any negativity surrounding it - though I'm sure there was some. A 2012 poll done by Forum Research indicated that about 30% of Canadians are opposed to same-sex marriage... so obviously it wasn't embraced by all.
Unregistered 08:20 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

There were big uproars when same-sex marriage was beginning to be legalized in Canada 10 years ago... positive ones - celebrating the rights and freedoms of same-sex couples and Canadians!

I actually don't personally know anyone that doesn't support same-sex marriage so I don't recall any negativity surrounding it - though I'm sure there was some. A 2012 poll done by Forum Research indicated that about 30% of Canadians are opposed to same-sex marriage... so obviously it wasn't embraced by all.
I remember it as a very joyous time as well. The newspapers were filled with congratulatory articles, announcements, and photos. I remember proudly thinking my children will never know a Canada that didn't allow s/s couples the same rights as heteros.
littlemissmuffet 08:25 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I remember it as a very joyous time as well. The newspapers were filled with congratulatory articles, announcements, and photos. I remember proudly thinking my children will never know a Canada that didn't allow s/s couples the same rights as heteros.
That's such a great way of looking at it!!

I grew up in a house where everyone was welcome... black, white, polka-dot, gay, lesbian, tanny, short, fat, bald, happy, sad, old, young, etc. My mom had a lot of gay friends when I was growing up and she still does. I was always taught to respect anyone who earned it - end of story. My kid will grow up the same way!
CedarCreek 08:34 AM 04-04-2013

Can I please come and become a citizen??
canadiancare 08:40 AM 04-04-2013
I think that on the grand scheme of things what happens in Canada as a protest is so much a smaller scale than what happens in the US. For one thing our population is such that 10 million against just don't have the voice.

My husband's sister is married to a woman and they have a daughter. My children know them as their aunts and the child is their cousin. We don't bat an eye because I'd rather my kids have relatives who feel free to love who they love than relatives who are miserable in their own skin.
littlemissmuffet 09:10 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I think that on the grand scheme of things what happens in Canada as a protest is so much a smaller scale than what happens in the US. For one thing our population is such that 10 million against just don't have the voice.
I think this is partially true... but I also think that Canadians in general are much more laid back than Americans. Watching American news is an entertaining passtime for hubs and I because it's completely different from our news... I find Canadian news is intended to inform, while the same events going on in the US are often reported with what seems like intent to create panic, fear, anger and drama. It's weird.
canadiancare 09:15 AM 04-04-2013
I think this is partially true... but I also think that Canadians in general are much more laid back than Americans. Watching American news is an entertaining passtime for hubs and I because it's completely different from our news... I find Canadian news is intended to inform, while the same events going on in the US are often reported with what seems like intent to create panic, fear, anger and drama. It's weird.
I think Michael Moore said the same thing in one of his films.
littlemissmuffet 09:20 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I think Michael Moore said the same thing in one of his films.
I've only seen Bowling for Columbine, when it was first released. His work is often recommended to me - apparently we have alot of the same views. I should check out more!
jokalima 09:26 AM 04-04-2013

I grew up in a house where everyone was welcome... black, white, polka-dot, gay, lesbian, tanny, short, fat, bald, happy, sad, old, young, etc. My mom had a lot of gay friends when I was growing up and she still does. I was always taught to respect anyone who earned it - end of story. My kid will grow up the same way!

There are many homes were all people like you mention are very welcome but they still don't agree with their lifestyle. Respect as well, I will teach my child to respect all the same way, I have a gay friend so my child can have gay friends if he wants to but I will still teach him what we believe is morally right and wrong.
canadiancare 09:28 AM 04-04-2013
I just found out that there are some places in the US where the kids don't have integrated dances? unbelievable to me.
bluemoose_mom 09:39 AM 04-04-2013
That news article has me suspicious. I just don't believe that someone wouldn't have put their foot down about segregated proms a long time ago, and I've never ever heard of that happening any where in the US.

It was posted April 4th...perhaps a late April Fools day. Off to google, to see what else I can find concerning this.
canadiancare 09:40 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by bluemoose_mom:
That news article has me suspicious. I just don't believe that someone wouldn't have put their foot down about segregated proms a long time ago, and I've never ever heard of that happening any where in the US.

It was posted April 4th...perhaps a late April Fools day. Off to google, to see what else I can find concerning this.
here you go if it is a hoax it is a pretty elaborate one.
CedarCreek 09:45 AM 04-04-2013
I think it's completely legit.

Segregated proms happen a lot here in Texas. Just that no one seems to think it's a big deal except for me!
bluemoose_mom 09:49 AM 04-04-2013
A facebook page doesn't make it legit. People will like something without even considering it's true, if it seems outrageous enough.

However, after googling and reading 10 or more articles by newspapers concerning this topic, I would agree that it's legit.

And it's unbelievable.

I'm shocked that this hasn't been stopped before now.
canadiancare 09:50 AM 04-04-2013

Segregated proms happen a lot here in Texas. Just that no one seems to think it's a big deal except for me!
wow. I really didn't know. I remember a movie called Prom Night in Mississippi from a few years ago but I figured that was a one of situation.
My3cents 09:58 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
That would have been my first guess, but I have heard of people who disowned family members who came out. It's good to know that isn't always the case.
that is very sad in itself.... a person shouldn't have to "come out" of what they are already are.

Religion, smigin..... I think ignorance and fear are what get in the way of this subject that has been beaten to death. I want equality for all good people- I don't care if your gay, black, spanish, red headed, short, fat, have no limbs, or rainbow colored. If we want to talk about Religion we can bring up the Catholic Priest that were molesting boys- leave gay people alone and let them live and marry whoever they want. Again there is good and bad in all people and I look for the good and try to stay away from the bad- Gay people are not bad. If you truly feel that they are sinners. It is their sin they will have to live with and not your concern. Just worry about yourself sinning against God who said....Love one another!

Very heated for me as I have Gay relatives that I love dearly. They are better people then a lot of straight people-

Jumping off this subject as I can go on and on and until you have a relative or child that you love that is gay you can't relate to what it is like to be a gay person and have to listen and feel this crap. I stand up for the Gay's every chance I get and I will never back down from this- The lifestyle is not for me but who am I to deny someone else that it is for-
Luna 10:03 AM 04-04-2013
I'm surprised to hear there are segregated proms! I'll have to look it up, but I think it was about two years ago an Afro-centric school opened in Toronto and I can't quite wrap my brain around that. And there has been some controversy when a teen wanted to bring a same sex date to his prom. I think this may have happened a couple of times and there was a movie made about it. I'm off to the google!
Unregistered 10:04 AM 04-04-2013
I absolutely agree with your statement. When we visit the US DH and I are always amused at how dramatic the news is. Very very different from Canadian media sources.
My3cents 10:05 AM 04-04-2013
I don't believe that qualifies as consent if they don't wack someone on the head.
lol........ we agree to disagree. I believe animals can communicate maybe not with the English language but they communicate. IF they didn't want to consent they are not going to stand there and just take it.

I like to watch Africa.......anyone else?
canadiancare 10:10 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
I'm surprised to hear there are segregated proms! I'll have to look it up, but I think it was about two years ago an Afro-centric school opened in Toronto and I can't quite wrap my brain around that. And there has been some controversy when a teen wanted to bring a same sex date to his prom. I think this may have happened a couple of times and there was a movie made about it. I'm off to the google!
The school in Toronto isn't racially segregated it is more just tailoring a curriculum to try and keep some kids in school who tend to drop out at alarming rates. The rational is that if poetry, art etc is more culturally relevant the kids might find a reason to stay. I know it might seem unlikely that a non-black child would sign up for these courses but if they wanted to they could.

I think it is just another way to try and keep kids in school.
My3cents 10:22 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by clep:
I agree with this post and the part of civil union. I also have another view on it which may not be so popular. I do have an issue with gay couples raising children. I have seen many children of gay couples that are completely screwed up. I have a sister who is lesbian and is about to have gender reassignment surgery. I found out she was gay about 30 years ago. In the past thirty years I have spent a huge amount of time with gay people. For about ten years almost all of my friends were gay. The came from all walks of life. To be honest, I was drawn to them because I was so lost myself. With the exception of a handful out of hundreds, I found them to be attention seekers with poor self worth with victimizing thinking and a lack of commitment to their own best interests and anyone else's. I have also found them to be unusually preoccupied with sex and sexual thoughts and have only known one person who is still in the same committed relationship ten years later. I am sure there are more out there, but I never knew any. Gay pride is a perfect example of what I am saying. Gay men and women do not have to go on their walk dressed as the opposite sex, or barely dressed at all to fight for their cause. I believe pride actually harms their cause and further stereotypes them to the population who has not experiences first had being around gay people to determine their own views from ever day interaction.

Based upon my personal experiences and some of the negative qualities I have mentioned above, I do not think that committed relationships to be the norm for gay people. I also think that marriage was created based upon religion and it is often held in churches. If a church does not agree with gay marriage the should not have to perform a gay marriage.

I say, if gay people want to be united for life, let it be a civil union.
This is sad.....

My experience have been of the opposite of yours. There are good and bad in all people. Sounds like you just happened to run across not so good situations. Most people I know that are Gay (I know many) have been in committed relationships longer then most straight couples- I think Gay pride brings out the eccentric just as Madi Gras brings out the drunks. I know people that would never want to go see Madi Gras because it is just a drunk fest. I don't think it is all that- Every celebration has the way out there rads....

Keep an open mind but not so open that your brains fall out-

Before you assume a stereotype learn, meet and form true friendships.

I would hate to think that someone on this forum is Gay and a provider and being made to feel any lesser then they are as a human being because of this thread-
My3cents 10:45 AM 04-04-2013

All I can think of is Foot Loose
CedarCreek 11:40 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
All I can think of is Foot Loose
Haha!

Here, it seems to be more of the students doing. I'm pretty sure they are free to go to one another's but choose not to.
CedarCreek 11:43 AM 04-04-2013
A facebook page doesn't make it legit. People will like something without even considering it's true, if it seems outrageous enough.

However, after googling and reading 10 or more articles by newspapers concerning this topic, I would agree that it's legit.

And it's unbelievable.

I'm shocked that this hasn't been stopped before now.
I wasn't going off of the Facebook page. I was going off of my own experiences from what I have seen and heard in my state. This happening in Georgia makes me go, "Yeah, probably." Because unfortunately, I have heard of this more than once.
Patches 12:08 PM 04-04-2013

This made me smile. Beautiful
bluemoose_mom 01:40 PM 04-04-2013
I wasn't going off of the Facebook page. I was going off of my own experiences from what I have seen and heard in my state. This happening in Georgia makes me go, "Yeah, probably." Because unfortunately, I have heard of this more than once.
Sorry CedarCreek, that commented was directed at canadiancare, not anyone else. All canadiancare did was direct me to a facebook page, not any news articles or actual first hand knowledge.

I forget to specify who it is that I'm talking to in forum's, sorry!!

But husband that this was a hoax as well, until I showed him some news articles. I'm still surprised this happens. I was sure it was a hoax.
canadiancare 01:43 PM 04-04-2013
Sorry CedarCreek, that commented was directed at canadiancare, not anyone else. All canadiancare did was direct me to a facebook page, not any news articles or actual first hand knowledge.

I forget to specify who it is that I'm talking to in forum's, sorry!!

But husband that this was a hoax as well, until I showed him some news articles. I'm still surprised this happens. I was sure it was a hoax.
Sorry I didn't realise I had linked you to a FB page. I had the article up earlier to post in an email and then forgot I had copied the FB page to share with my friends.
Country Kids 01:59 PM 04-04-2013
There many places in America where there are certain "laws" still in the town books and probably enforced.

I lived in a town where it was still in the books in the 80's and might still be where "a person of color could not be in town after the sunset". I think I actually learned about it in a history class and it was a known fact.

Its not just the south either, its everywhere.
Tags:gay, gay marraige
First ... 2 3 4
Reply Up