Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Small Objects in Policy?
Abigail 11:48 PM 07-31-2010
I worked at a preschool and we never had any hair accessories do/don't policy, but we did have an "Empty Pocket" policy. Preschoolers were sometimes sent to class with coins, candy, or other random small objects in their pockets so it just became policy asap that no child can bring anything in their pockets. I thought it was awesome. What do you think? I'm thinking about putting this in my contract from the beginning just to lengthen it.

Would you title it the Empty Pocket Policy? Thanks!
nannyde 05:30 AM 08-01-2010
No hats, barrettes, jewelry, watches, belts, or clothing with strings attached. We do not allow hoodies with strings or jackets with strings. No indoor wear hoodies at any time for any age child. Children may have hoodies for outerwear for outside only (outside spring and fall jackets). They can't wear them inside the house. Any bottoms with drawstrings are not allowed.

Toy Policy: No toys from home. Parents are required to check their child's pockets before entering the day care to make sure the child does not bring anything into the day care. If coins or small objects are found on your child we will need to terminate your child's care to protect the safety of the little ones.
Former Teacher 02:08 PM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Toy Policy: No toys from home. Parents are required to check their child's pockets before entering the day care to make sure the child does not bring anything into the day care. If coins or small objects are found on your child we will need to terminate your child's care to protect the safety of the little ones.
I have a question. Do you REALLY have children enrolled? If you terminate over the LITTLEST things over toys etc, I am really surprised you are in business. Yes you are one of several on here that I have that feeling about

Anyway, while I TOTALLY agree about the coins and small objects etc. I find it ridiculous to terminate a child just because parents failed to check pockets. I can't begin to tell you the number of times when a child would come in the morning during the week (except for Friday which was Toy Day) with something from home. Parents did nothing or I had to be the bad guy. Which surprisingly enough I didn't mind because the way I saw it, the children respected me MORE. They would see me coming and right away give the parent whatever was in their hand. Another case would be like..oh Johnny just REFUSED to give me the truck!. I would be like ok Johnny, let me have the truck and right away I was given the truck. Only for me to hand the parent the truck or whatever it was back. Then the parent storming off since I had more control over the parent than the parent did. If the parent was already gone, I would leave whatever it was (depending on what it was) on my desk or in the directors office.

Yes I totally agree that coins are a MAJOR safety issue. I understand that. However like I said to terminate childcare, unbelievable.
nannyde 02:35 PM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I have a question. Do you REALLY have children enrolled? If you terminate over the LITTLEST things over toys etc, I am really surprised you are in business. Yes you are one of several on here that I have that feeling about

Anyway, while I TOTALLY agree about the coins and small objects etc. I find it ridiculous to terminate a child just because parents failed to check pockets. I can't begin to tell you the number of times when a child would come in the morning during the week (except for Friday which was Toy Day) with something from home. Parents did nothing or I had to be the bad guy. Which surprisingly enough I didn't mind because the way I saw it, the children respected me MORE. They would see me coming and right away give the parent whatever was in their hand. Another case would be like..oh Johnny just REFUSED to give me the truck!. I would be like ok Johnny, let me have the truck and right away I was given the truck. Only for me to hand the parent the truck or whatever it was back. Then the parent storming off since I had more control over the parent than the parent did. If the parent was already gone, I would leave whatever it was (depending on what it was) on my desk or in the directors office.

Yes I totally agree that coins are a MAJOR safety issue. I understand that. However like I said to terminate childcare, unbelievable.
I have the policy to avoid this: the number of times when a child would come in the morning during the week (except for Friday which was Toy Day) with something from home. Parents did nothing or I had to be the bad guy.

And this: coins are a MAJOR safety issue

I'm the bad guy upfront. I'm the bad guy when I'm interviewing the parents of BABIES who know they could loose their kid over a coin. They have no problem with this policy. Teach them the rules at a time when it matters to THEM and they will abide when it doesn't.
Former Teacher 04:07 PM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have the policy to avoid this: the number of times when a child would come in the morning during the week (except for Friday which was Toy Day) with something from home. Parents did nothing or I had to be the bad guy.

And this: coins are a MAJOR safety issue

I'm the bad guy upfront. I'm the bad guy when I'm interviewing the parents of BABIES who know they could loose their kid over a coin. They have no problem with this policy. Teach them the rules at a time when it matters to THEM and they will abide when it doesn't.
Ok...you always have to have the last word...you got it.
Janet 04:11 PM 08-04-2010

Actually, I bet that Nan's enrollment is probably high because she is upfront about all of her policies and expectations from the start. That assures that there is no room for interpretation. I have some pretty strict policies and I have been full for ages! Some of my policies are way strict. For instance, my illness policy states that children must be excluded from daycare if they have a temperature of over 100 and they can't return until they are fever free for 48 hours (it used to be 24 hours but I just changed it) without the use of a fever reducer. I exclude for runny noses that are any color but clear until the runny nose clears up. I also exclude for coughs that are severe enough to affect sleeping or eating or coughing that is consistently happening through the day. Again, the child can't return until the cough has cleared up. I exclude for goopy eyes or excessively watering eyes or redness in the eyes. I exclude for rashes and the child can't return until either the rash is gone or I get a doctors note that states that the rash is not contagious. I exclude children from care for 48 hours after vaccinations. I exclude for diarrhea (3 in infants & toddlers, 1 for potty trained children) for 48 hours and then they can come back as long as the diarrhea is gone. Same goes for vomiting, but I exclude after the 1st time a child vomits. My illness policy is extremely strict, but as a result I very seldon have to send kids home.

As long as parents know about all of your policies and procedures ahead of time, then they tend to be cool with them.

As far as small objects go, I throw them away if I find them because I don't want to risk any of the other kids possibly choking on them.

As a parent, I would absolutely send my kids to Nan because of how direct and upfront she is about her policies. I like the fact that she doesn't leave any wiggle room in her policies. I would feel good about having my child with her because I like her style!
legomom922 04:53 PM 08-04-2010
I include in my policies that there is to be no gum, candy or suckers brought in. Just when you think you finally have included & thought of everything, there is always a parent who does something you havent thought of. I have a 1 yr DCB, and his parents now are teaching him to blow a whistle....why? beats the hell out of me, but everyday now he comes wearing his whistle on a string around his neck...I dont have the "please dont wear whistles around your neck" clause in my policy handbook, so everyday after they leave, I take it off, and I put it back on, or in his diaper bag before they come back. Is this crazy to have a 1 yr old something like this or is it me?
Former Teacher 05:20 PM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by Janet:
Actually, I bet that Nan's enrollment is probably high because she is upfront about all of her policies and expectations from the start. That assures that there is no room for interpretation. I have some pretty strict policies and I have been full for ages! Some of my policies are way strict. For instance, my illness policy states that children must be excluded from daycare if they have a temperature of over 100 and they can't return until they are fever free for 48 hours (it used to be 24 hours but I just changed it) without the use of a fever reducer. I exclude for runny noses that are any color but clear until the runny nose clears up. I also exclude for coughs that are severe enough to affect sleeping or eating or coughing that is consistently happening through the day. Again, the child can't return until the cough has cleared up. I exclude for goopy eyes or excessively watering eyes or redness in the eyes. I exclude for rashes and the child can't return until either the rash is gone or I get a doctors note that states that the rash is not contagious. I exclude children from care for 48 hours after vaccinations. I exclude for diarrhea (3 in infants & toddlers, 1 for potty trained children) for 48 hours and then they can come back as long as the diarrhea is gone. Same goes for vomiting, but I exclude after the 1st time a child vomits. My illness policy is extremely strict, but as a result I very seldon have to send kids home.

As long as parents know about all of your policies and procedures ahead of time, then they tend to be cool with them.

As far as small objects go, I throw them away if I find them because I don't want to risk any of the other kids possibly choking on them.

As a parent, I would absolutely send my kids to Nan because of how direct and upfront she is about her policies. I like the fact that she doesn't leave any wiggle room in her policies. I would feel good about having my child with her because I like her style!
Janet..with all due respect, I believe there is a difference between terming a child because of a policy of illness vs. the policy of toys etc. My post was mainly toward the fact of termination. There are several providers on here that have commented on a post and said that they would term a child for this or for that. It make me wonder....if you are terming these children for the littlest things, it is a wonder to me that these providers are in business.

Granted, again, an illness policy that is not respected yes I totally agree a child needs to be terminated. But come on? For over a toy? A child WILL eventually break a rule or push the limits...NO MATTER WHAT. I don't care what anyone says. Or terming a child because of no call no shows . That is another policy that baffles me but there's another thread for that

On a side note..I wanted to say Welcome To The Board...I have always noticed you as a guest. I am glad you decided to register!
nannyde 06:02 PM 08-04-2010
But come on? For over a toy? A child WILL eventually break a rule or push the limits...NO MATTER WHAT.
But you missed the point. The policy isn't for the kids. it's not about what the kids will eventually do. The policy is for the parents. It leaves the responsibility on them:

Parents are required to check their child's pockets before entering the day care to make sure the child does not bring anything into the day care.

I'm not terming the kid. I'm terming the parent.

I had a bad deal the first year I did child care that brought this to a policy.

I never expected parents to allow kids to play with coins. It never crossed my mind that anyone would.

I had a little two year old boy who pulled a nickel out of his pocket in the middle of morning play. At first I just took it away and after thinking about it I realized it may not be the only one.

I called the parent and asked them if they knew the kid had a coin on them and if it was the only one. The parent told me that he has his own coin jar and is always putting them in his pocket.

GREAT

I had to search every kid... then one by one put every kid to bed and search my ENTIRE play room. I had to go thru every fricken toy .. one by one... inside and out to make sure that he hadn't dropped any other coins.

I found one. One penny stuffed in another toy. I couldn't stop when I found one because there could be more. I had to check every crook and cranny of every toy. I also had to check the stairs and the kitchen. Everywhere he was had to be checked. On my hands and knees thru the house... running my fingers along the carpet.

I had even had that kid put to bed for a couple of hours because he arrived at six a.m. He had a ton of time alone with those coins ON MY WATCH.

That penny and nickel could have harmed him or one of my babies. It would have been my fault because I was too green to know what to put into place to make sure it didn't happen. No matter how close you supervise there are times when they have their back to you.

Lesson learned.

New policy. Policy that puts the responsibility on CHECKING the kid before coming in here. If they want to let them play coins or small objects than that's on them. What they do to put the OTHER kids at risk is on me.

Frisk your kids every day before you bring them THRU my door. I explain this to every parent in the interviews. If they don't think they can manage it then don't enroll. Tell them the story when their BABY is a baby AND plant the seed of "group" responsiibility. What you do can affect the group. It's not just about YOU but about the other kids too.
booroo 08:09 PM 08-04-2010
[quote=Janet;3930ation. I also exclude for coughs that are severe enough to affect sleeping or eating or coughing that is consistently happening through the day. Again, the child can't return until the cough has cleared up.[\Quote]

well then you don't all children with asthma or acid reflex in your care...

I wouldn't put my children in yours ir nanny care!!! They are children not soldiers....

As far as the stupid parents that thinks it ok for a 2 year old to play with money or have a coin jar.... Well like I said stupid parents.... Can't fix stupid!!
Janet 06:55 AM 08-05-2010
[quote=booroo;39347]
Originally Posted by Janet;3930ation. I also exclude for coughs that are severe enough to affect sleeping or eating or coughing that is consistently happening through the day. Again, the child can't return until the cough has cleared up.[\Quote:

well then you don't all children with asthma or acid reflex in your care...

I wouldn't put my children in yours ir nanny care!!! They are children not soldiers....

As far as the stupid parents that thinks it ok for a 2 year old to play with money or have a coin jar.... Well like I said stupid parents.... Can't fix stupid!!
I should have added that in the case of a child with asthma, I would not exclude them as long as the parents give me documentation from their doctor that the child does have asthma and I want the parents to be providing treatment for it (neb. treatments, inhaler, etc.) I never take a parents word for it because some parents will blame asthma and allergies for everything. Also, if a child is coughing severely then they should be in the comfort of their own homes with a parent who can give them all of their attention. Daycare is not for sick kids. Period. As far as reflux is concerned, again I would require documentation from the child's doctor. I'm not stupid, booroo. I know the difference between spitting up and throwing up. I don't exclude for spitting up. My daughtere had reflux and she spit up constantly.

The kids in my care are very happy and they learn alot here. I'd bet its the same way at Nan's daycare. I think it's crappy of you to imply that I expect my daycare kids to be "soldiers". That's offensive. You don't know me and you don't know how I run my daycare.
Janet 06:59 AM 08-05-2010
Janet..with all due respect, I believe there is a difference between terming a child because of a policy of illness vs. the policy of toys etc. My post was mainly toward the fact of termination. There are several providers on here that have commented on a post and said that they would term a child for this or for that. It make me wonder....if you are terming these children for the littlest things, it is a wonder to me that these providers are in business.

Granted, again, an illness policy that is not respected yes I totally agree a child needs to be terminated. But come on? For over a toy? A child WILL eventually break a rule or push the limits...NO MATTER WHAT. I don't care what anyone says. Or terming a child because of no call no shows . That is another policy that baffles me but there's another thread for that

On a side note..I wanted to say Welcome To The Board...I have always noticed you as a guest. I am glad you decided to register!

Thank you. I'm glad that I registered too.

I think that the no-call/no-show terminations are valid because I've had families in the past that would do that a lot and I was turning away families because this family had the spots. I lost quite a bit of money because this family was no-call/no-showing at least twice a week. From my vantage point, it's a valid reason to terminate. It messes with my income to have people do that.
Tags:candy, coin, empty pocket policy, pocket, policy
Reply Up