Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Couldn't Help Myself
Meeko 07:02 AM 09-20-2013
The phone went at 9:45PM last night. I was just getting into bed.

"Is this a daycare?"

"NOPE". Click.

I don't even want to talk to someone who calls that late!!!!!!
mema 07:17 AM 09-20-2013

I wouldn't want to talk to them either.

On a side note....we have caller id and whenever it is a 1-800 or some number that I don't recognize, I let my 12 yr old answer and he pretends to be some restuarant. He had some telemarket that was selling books or something going for like 5 minutes. Have yet to see that number again.
Heidi 07:30 AM 09-20-2013
My sister's husband could not, for the life of him, be rude to a telemarketer. He'd just let them go on and on..

One day, they are asking him all sorts of info about his household and my sister overheard.

She walked up to him and yelled "DAVID! DID I GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO USE THE PHONE? DO I NEED TO REMIND YOU ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE IT WIHTOUT MY OK?"

He meekly said to the telemarketer "umm...I have to go. My wife said I have to get off the phone..."
Heidi 07:31 AM 09-20-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:

"Is this a daycare?"

"NOPE". Click.

How rude! I had one call me at 6 am once. Uhh...NO!
mema 07:42 AM 09-20-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
My sister's husband could not, for the life of him, be rude to a telemarketer. He'd just let them go on and on..

One day, they are asking him all sorts of info about his household and my sister overheard.

She walked up to him and yelled "DAVID! DID I GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO USE THE PHONE? DO I NEED TO REMIND YOU ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE IT WIHTOUT MY OK?"

He meekly said to the telemarketer "umm...I have to go. My wife said I have to get off the phone..."

That's awesome! I feel bad for them, I mean, it's just their job. But when you have asked numerous times to be taken off their list and they keep calling, well, I'm not always so nice after that. I did let a dcg talk to one once when they wouldn't take no for an answer. She was a new 2 and I bet that was a conversation they never forgot. Dcm thought it was great and said she did it all the time at home too.
itlw8 07:42 AM 09-20-2013
Last month some dad called almost every family childcare between 6 and 6:30 am He also wanted bad hours 6:15 to 6 PM and they did not want a center. most of us were polite but one said no way would she even talk to anyone that called at the B##t crack a## of dawn... And she was the one the wife called back to get an interview... she was sent to a center.

Well he did call back to say he could fit in my hours and I said I am sorry I filled that under two opening yesterday and I had. snooze you lose. He was not happy.
jessrlee 07:59 AM 09-20-2013
Lol!! I accidentally called my mom one morning at 6am!! I get up at 430 so it seemed later
Familycare71 08:02 AM 09-20-2013
I saw somewhere that when a telemarketer calls give the phone to a toddler and say its Santa!
I actually was a telemarketer once! . It was a horrible job that I quit/got fired at the same time!
I am never rude but we have messed with them some- if it had been me I would have been grateful for the entertainment!!
AfterSchoolMom 08:06 AM 09-20-2013
I telemarketed once. I lasted about six weeks. It was a horrible, awful job. The worst one I've ever had!
harperluu 08:09 AM 09-20-2013
This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode or maybe it was a Jerry Seinfeld stand up routine. He says he asks the telemarketer to give him their home number and he'll call them at a better time. When the telemarketer says no, he asks why, you don't want getting calls at home from people you don't know? Something like that. It was funnier in my head.
Unregistered 08:11 AM 09-20-2013
Parent shows up at my door on a Sunday evening at 7:30 pm, she had come for an interview two weeks before and left abruptly because she did not want to pay head for child care and she did not want to pay for holidays or sick days. I did not open door, she then called around 8:30 and 9:30 pm, I bet she wanted day care for next day! Monday she called twice, I finally called her back, she asked if I still had the opening, I'm not interested in dealing with rude parents and explaining my policies all the time (red flag) so I said no I'm no longer available. How rude of her to show up at my house unanounced!
jenn 09:49 AM 09-20-2013
I also have seen the picture, maybe on pinterest, about when a telemarketer calls, give the phone to your little one and tell them it's Santa.
My husband also has a hard time saying no to them. He listens and tries to be nice. I don't answer the phone if I don't know who it is, so I don't have to deal with it much. One day, he answered, talked to the telemarketer and then tried to hand the phone to me to talk to them, basically so I could be the mean one. I whispered "just hang up", so he got back on the phone and said "I'm sorry, but I'm going to hang up now". Wimp.
Familycare71 09:53 AM 09-20-2013
What is it with husbands and telemarketers!?!
Mine is the same way!! Once I caught him explaining why we could not afford whatever it was - kids, moneys tight, etc... I could just picture her flipping through the book they give you to respond to excuses people give!
Maria2013 09:55 AM 09-20-2013

"Is this a daycare?"

"NOPE". Click.
put that next to your Avatar...I about died laughing
daycarediva 10:01 AM 09-20-2013
Originally Posted by harperluu:
This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode or maybe it was a Jerry Seinfeld stand up routine. He says he asks the telemarketer to give him their home number and he'll call them at a better time. When the telemarketer says no, he asks why, you don't want getting calls at home from people you don't know? Something like that. It was funnier in my head.
This is HILARIOUS and my husband is a huge Seinfeld fan and this is his standard answer. He did it in front of company once and they died laughing and use it now, too.

I always give the phone to my kids when they were little, now I give it to the chattiest day care kid. Soooo saying it's Santa next time!

The earliest I have been called is 7am, and the lastest is 8pm by people inquiring about daycare. I said no to both. My ads are all specific about WHEN I take phone calls and my email is listed for times outside those hours.
Luna 10:30 AM 09-20-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
What is it with husbands and telemarketers!?!
Mine is the same way!! Once I caught him explaining why we could not afford whatever it was - kids, moneys tight, etc... I could just picture her flipping through the book they give you to respond to excuses people give!
My husband tells them he's busy, call back later . He does the same with door to door people. Aaaaand he's never home when they call/come back.
It's a good thing he's cute.
Memc2001 10:33 AM 09-20-2013

"Is this a daycare?"

"NOPE". Click.

THAT'S AWESOME!!!
I have found over the years that the best clients are the intelligent and easy ones, not the one's that cause you any grief. Def. a good sign to pass!
Jack Sprat 11:23 AM 09-20-2013
I often get texts from one dcm late at night. Usually, after 10:30 asking if her daughter can come the next day. I NEVER answer her back that late even if I am up. She always announces the next day that she was wondering I got the text. I have explained a million times that I work 10+ hour days and usually I am asleep by 10. Arg!
Reply Up