Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Forms - Uploads>Random Questions
kelli050 09:19 PM 02-17-2010
Alright....I just jot down a few random questions that have come to mind - I'm sure I will add more as time goes on Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Are you able to ‘claim’ time spent shopping (groceries, daycare items, etc.)? What do you do if you are shopping for both your family and your daycare?

If you are on a food program and you get reimbursement for meals/snacks are you still able to claim the food expense as a deduction on your taxes?

How do you claim an expense for something that you buy used from someone locally (for example off of craigslist)? I know to keep receipts from stores, but what would you do in this case? I was thinking about just printing off the craigslist ad and then listing the price I got it for and any information (name, email, phone #, address, etc.) that I have for this person? Is this a way to go about this or what would you suggest?

If I am able to claim my own child on the food program I assume that I can only do this when other children are present? For example if I only had one family with 2 children and they were out sick one day leaving me with just my children I wouldn’t be able to claim this as being open or their meals…correct?

Is there anyone out there who has a “welcome packet” they give to their new/prospective parents during interviews? I want to put together a little folder to give them that has all forms inside, but I want to include a welcome type letter that gives some information about me, the daycare, sample activities, sample meals, etc. if anyone has something like this that they would be willing to share I would greatly appreciate it!

I’m also having troubles picking out a name. My name is Kelli and I didn’t just want to use Kelli’s Daycare or Kelli’s Child Care. While I do plan on doing educational activities I don’t want my name to sound like a preschool – I’m not an educator and do not have a degree in ECE (though I may pursue one…). I just don’t want to give the wrong idea or have parents think I’m a preschool or anything like that. So far I had thought of: Kelli’s Kiddos, Happy Feet Daycare/Child Care, Helpful Hands Daycare/Child Care, Jumping Kellibeans Child care,….I think that’s it for now. I would always love ideas/suggestions!

Do you HAVE to register your daycare name with the state? I plan on getting a Tax ID # so I don’t have to give out my SS#, but I really didn’t want to register the business name with the state or anything – does this vary by state? (I’m in North Dakota)

What do you provide for your dc children? (wipes, little swimmers, diaper rash ointment, sunblock, bottles, sippy cups, etc.)

And again - I am working on a rough draft (or 2 or 3...lol ) of my contract and forms, if anyone else would be willing to take a look at it and provide feedback I would really appreciate it. I can either PM it to you or if you would like to PM me your email I could email it.

Thanks again for all the help you have provided me with - Every day I am grateful that I found this forum!

Have a good one!

-Kelli
tymaboy 05:41 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by kelli050:

Are you able to ‘claim’ time spent shopping (groceries, daycare items, etc.)? What do you do if you are shopping for both your family and your daycare?
It is suggested that you do them suppurate. I know it doesnt happen (be a waste of time) What I do is have daycare item wrung up suppurate then calculate the miles & claim that. I do not claim the time.

Originally Posted by :
If you are on a food program and you get reimbursement for meals/snacks are you still able to claim the food expense as a deduction on your taxes?
The food program will pay for 2 snacks & 1 meal (or vice versa) For me the kids are here for 2 snack & 2 meals so I have to go threw my records & see what meals the food program paid for & what meals they did not then claim the meals they did not pay me for.

Originally Posted by :
How do you claim an expense for something that you buy used from someone locally (for example off of craigslist)? I know to keep receipts from stores, but what would you do in this case? I was thinking about just printing off the craigslist ad and then listing the price I got it for and any information (name, email, phone #, address, etc.) that I have for this person? Is this a way to go about this or what would you suggest?
I think if an item cost less then $25 you do not need a receipt but if it is a high priced item then you should remember to ask for a receipt. Most everything I buy at yard sales & off craigslist is cheap & do not worry about the receipt.

Originally Posted by :
Is there anyone out there who has a “welcome packet” they give to their new/prospective parents during interviews? I want to put together a little folder to give them that has all forms inside, but I want to include a welcome type letter that gives some information about me, the daycare, sample activities, sample meals, etc. if anyone has something like this that they would be willing to share I would greatly appreciate it!
I do not have a Welcome letter but I do hand out all of my paper work out at the parent interveiw. That way they can look over it more, even though at the interview I alway cover everything so later down the road the parents do not come back & say I didnt know.

Originally Posted by :
What do you provide for your dc children? (wipes, little swimmers, diaper rash ointment, sunblock, bottles, sippy cups, etc.)
The only thing the parents bring is formula, diapers, wipes & a change of clothes.

Originally Posted by :
And again - I am working on a rough draft (or 2 or 3...lol ) of my contract and forms, if anyone else would be willing to take a look at it and provide feedback I would really appreciate it. I can either PM it to you or if you would like to PM me your email I could email it.
My policy is 11-12 pages long. It had started out as only about 7 but 1 bad family changed that so it is pretty sad that pretty much every thing in my policy has happened I have also found that even though it is as long as it is parents still try to push it to its limits at times (pickups & child illness) If you like to send me your policy I can take a look at it or I can send you mine so you can use what you like.
misol 06:40 AM 02-18-2010
Kelli, pm me an I will send you the welcome letter that I include in my parent packets.
originalkat 06:41 AM 02-18-2010

No you can not claim the TIME spent shopping for your business even if you are only doing daycare shopping and no personal. You can claim a reasonable amount of time for cleaning, lesson planning etc but only when it is done at home.

I just signed up for the food program, but my understanding is the Food Program money is counted as income and you can still use the meal deduction for your taxes.

Yes, that should be sufficient documentation in case you were ever audited.

If I am able to claim my own child on the food program I assume that I can only do this when other children are present? For example if I only had one family with 2 children and they were out sick one day leaving me with just my children I wouldn’t be able to claim this as being open or their meals…correct?
Yes. That is correct.

I have two packets ready at the interview. If the parent wants to enroll and pays the enrollment fee and 1st week's tuition(my policy) then I give them the whole packet including enrollment paperwork, Parent Handbook. If they are not ready to make their decision yet, I give them an information packet with brochure, reference letters, curriucum info to take with them.

I’m also having troubles picking out a name. My name is Kelli and I didn’t just want to use Kelli’s Daycare or Kelli’s Child Care. While I do plan on doing educational activities I don’t want my name to sound like a preschool – I’m not an educator and do not have a degree in ECE (though I may pursue one…). I just don’t want to give the wrong idea or have parents think I’m a preschool or anything like that. So far I had thought of: Kelli’s Kiddos, Happy Feet Daycare/Child Care, Helpful Hands Daycare/Child Care, Jumping Kellibeans Child care,….I think that’s it for now. I would always love ideas/suggestions!
My name is Green Gate Preschool because a am marketing my home-based program as a preschool and only take that age (2-5). But I always like nature inspired names myself. Brainstorm all the words that pop into your head and then mix and match until you find onr you like. From your list I like Helping Hands Daycare/ Childcare

Do you HAVE to register your daycare name with the state? I plan on getting a Tax ID # so I don’t have to give out my SS#, but I really didn’t want to register the business name with the state or anything – does this vary by state? (I’m in North Dakota)
My state does not have a business name registration unless you are a corporation. I cant remember the details, but I did look into it at one time. Each state would have different rules on that.

I only provide meals and curriculum supplies. Parents provide everything else.
kelli050 09:29 AM 02-18-2010
Thanks so much for the input - it is greatly appreciated...I'm getting so much valuable information from this forum
Tags:audit, brand, contract, curriculum, food program, forms, interview, supplies
Reply Up