Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Unregistered

Default DCB Arguing Constantly

Dcb 4 argues constantly. He is very pushy with friends trying to boss them around and bickering with them. For no good reason. He argues with me all day or tries to, I don't participate and so he sulks in a corner. Every morning at clean up its "but we didn't have time to play!" Yes you did, this is the routine every day, let's move on. I don't know how to help him lighten up. Giving him words and acknowledging his feelings only seems to encourage him!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:52 AM
Daycare.com Member

This describes my 5 yr old son to a T! It started at 4 yrs old, too.

I agree with disengaging in the back and forth. I have also removed him from the group when he gets bossy (reasoning always turns into an argument!).

I really don't have any advice, because it's still something we struggle with, mostly just commiserating. Hopefully, someone here has some great advice!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Unregistered

This is op. Yes, reasoning doesn't work because he doesn't want a solution he wants to bicker. I do also remove him from group play if he gets pushy. I think to an extent it is a phase some kids go through. I just wish it weren't so emotionally draining! (I find it emotionally stressful sometimes to maintain a positive attitude in the face of someone who is cranky all the time)
Old 02-17-2017, 06:11 AM
Daycare.com Member

Totally normal.
I don't allow it.
If I tell them something and they start to talk back, I say firmly "Yes, Mrs Play Care." And make them say it back to me. Then they do what they were asked/told.
They already know why they were asked/told to do what they were. They don't need an explanation or to be reasoned with.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
Totally normal.
I don't allow it.
My son was (and is) an arguer. I didn't allow it either. I couldn't think of any other solution. I worked really hard to be reasonable and trustworthy, and I tried to listen to his feelings if they were even remotely reasonable, but he argued over nothing a lot of the time. I just made it against the rules in the end coz I couldnt' stand it.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I don't argue with anyone. I would let him argue with himself. He would be miserable at my house. Kids who don't listen don't have any fun.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Two View Post
My son was (and is) an arguer. I didn't allow it either. I couldn't think of any other solution. I worked really hard to be reasonable and trustworthy, and I tried to listen to his feelings if they were even remotely reasonable, but he argued over nothing a lot of the time. I just made it against the rules in the end coz I couldnt' stand it.
I don't allow it either - but it doesn't stop him! For example, if I say pick up toys, and he talks back, he gets in trouble, and then has to pick up. The whole time picking up his toys he will be arguing (not to anyone is particular, more like airing his grievances ), and I ignore.

It is constant it never stops, and it's making me crazy! I've asked his preschool teacher how he is, and she says he is great, always listens and follows directions. I guess I should be glad that he is well behaved out of the house, but it still makes me nuts at home!
Old 02-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Childcare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I don't argue with anyone. I would let him argue with himself. He would be miserable at my house. Kids who don't listen don't have any fun.

Same here
Old 02-20-2017, 06:25 AM
False Sense Of Authority

Thanks because my has suddenly become the worst with this! She doesn't argue about having to do stuff, she argues about ludicrous stuff...."It IS daytime and the stars are out!!" Even if you ignore or even agree she follows you, still arguing her ridiculous point.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee View Post
Thanks because my has suddenly become the worst with this! She doesn't argue about having to do stuff, she argues about ludicrous stuff...."It IS daytime and the stars are out!!" Even if you ignore or even agree she follows you, still arguing her ridiculous point.
sounds like you have a future lawyer on your hands...

Tags
arguing, difficult behaviors, rude child, talking back