Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New with a Few Questions
NicAine 08:53 AM 02-15-2020
Hallo all!

I will be opening a new home daycare this fall. I would love some advice.

1. Starting brand new, what must haves would you buy? $1000 budget. I already have megablocks, magnatiles, books, and every art supply known to man.

2. I plan to move into a new house, with a walk out basement that I can use for daycare. What other features would you look for? (Big fenced yard is also on the list.)

3. Lastly, any other tips or suggestions? Something you wish you knew when you started?

Thank you!
flying_babyb 09:17 AM 02-15-2020
#3! Music soothes the savage beast. Know what songs are "popular" for kids dancing. Stick to your policies, and remember some days will suck!
cars. My kids are hooked on the magnetic ones that link together. Dolls are another hit along with child sized props. My class is playing with thrift store dolls and a table ware set from ikea (The childrens section has kid sized plates, cups, and silverware, all plastic for $1.99 for 4 peices). A old wooden table. These are a multipurpose item. Ours has been a house area table, a road, a tent..... If you live near an ikea, try there for cheap but sturdy stuff. I know my old center was pretty much ikea everything. If not you can order from Ikea.com
Edit: I missed a good sound system. Be it a bluetooth speaker, raido or whatever. You gatta have a way to play all those fun songs that settle the children (we dance anytime were feeling grumpy, moody or are sitting too much lol)

2. Bathroom and kitchen set up! You want a convenient bathroom that you can see from other areas (think toddler who can do all the bathroom stuff independently but needs a extra watchful eye). No blind spots. Try to find something where you can see everybody from everywere.
daycarediva 10:54 AM 02-17-2020
Required licensing supplies- gates, window guards if needed, smoke detectors, CO detectors, background checks, changing pads, nap mats, etc.

Laptop and printer- office supplies are a definite need for the lesson planning/business aspect of DC.

does the basement have a working kitchen? If not- appliances to keep/reheat food. Dishware for kids.

child size furniture, tables/chairs, pack and plays, high chairs, etc.
littlefriends 11:00 AM 02-17-2020
A rock solid handbook and contract! When I first started I did’t have any real rules and learned super quick to get a parent handbook and contract. I was traveling 100 mph on burn out road but once I got some good rules that made for much less stress and headaches.
Cat Herder 06:16 AM 02-18-2020
The first purchases I made were nice nap mats & sheets, blackout curtains with grommets that can be put up at nap then taken down (small hooks), a small sound machine, sturdy toddler/preschool tables/chairs, paper plates/plastic spoons, take&toss sippy cups (top rack safe, cost-efficient, easy to clean), a sprinkler, and playground balls.

Good food, good play and good sleep. I built up from there.

Welcome to the forum! Stick around.
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by NicAine:
Hallo all!

3. Lastly, any other tips or suggestions? Something you wish you knew when you started?

Thank you!
A strong backbone

If you do things just to be nice, you might as well do this job for free because nice on your end simply means "take advantage of you" on the receiving end(client side).
Gemma 08:32 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A strong backbone

If you do things just to be nice, you might as well do this job for free because nice on your end simply means "take advantage of you" on the receiving end(client side).

Having leaned this first hand I totally agree!
Unless you're ready to stand your ground and demand respect for your policies, you will no doubt be taken advantage of until you burn out....and no amount of money is worth losing your sanity
Tags:contract - clear, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy, tips for providers
Reply Up