Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Laugh or Cry-I Don't Know!
BumbleBee 09:39 AM 10-21-2013
Dcb arrives at 6am. By 7am he has a temp of 101.6 so I call mom. She gets here at 7:30 and doses him w/Tylenol before taking him home. I remind her of the fever free w/o medicine for 24 hrs policy.

She texts me at 9am: "he doesn't have a fever"

I text back: "well he wouldn't with Tylenol on board. Take his temp when the Tylenol wears off."

At noon I get this text from dcm: "still no fever!"

Me: "when was his last dose?"

Dcm: "Of Tylenol? I haven't given that to him since your house."

Me: "Stupid question-has he had any other medicine besides Tylenol today? I ask because some people alternate between IBprofen & Tylenol."

Dcm: "Oh he had Motrin at 11:30."

Me: "oh, ok. I have some kids to get down for nap so I'll give you a call later."

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to say to her. I mean....really? Is fever free w/o meds really that hard to understand????
Soccermom 09:52 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Dcb arrives at 6am. By 7am he has a temp of 101.6 so I call mom. She gets here at 7:30 and doses him w/Tylenol before taking him home. I remind her of the fever free w/o medicine for 24 hrs policy.

She texts me at 9am: "he doesn't have a fever"

I text back: "well he wouldn't with Tylenol on board. Take his temp when the Tylenol wears off."

At noon I get this text from dcm: "still no fever!"

Me: "when was his last dose?"

Dcm: "Of Tylenol? I haven't given that to him since your house."

Me: "Stupid question-has he had any other medicine besides Tylenol today? I ask because some people alternate between IBprofen & Tylenol."

Dcm: "Oh he had Motrin at 11:30."

Me: "oh, ok. I have some kids to get down for nap so I'll give you a call later."

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to say to her. I mean....really? Is fever free w/o meds really that hard to understand????
Wow...that is all I can say. Is it that hard for parents to stay home with their kids when they are sick?? If my DS was sick I would run home with movies and juice, settle in on the couch with him and snuggle him!
Shell 09:56 AM 10-21-2013
Wow! Some parents...
daycarediva 10:00 AM 10-21-2013
I specify NO otc meds for 24 hours AND no fever in my illness policy now.

I have had ZERO issues understanding this since making that stipulation.
JenNJ 10:03 AM 10-21-2013
I copied a policy I saw on here. If they have a fever, they cannot return until the are fever free 24 hours. If *I* send them home, it is 48 hours. It prevents dosing and dropping.
SilverSabre25 10:12 AM 10-21-2013
I sincerely hope mom's hoping to pull one over on you, rather than legitimately being that stupid....
caregiver 10:14 AM 10-21-2013
I have had parents tell me when I have had to give them a call that their child is sick and they need to come get them tell me" I have no more PTO and I can't take the day off, so just keep me informed on how he or she is doing. Wow, is all I could say,( To myself) then I asked if someone else could come pick their child up, a friend or relative maybe. They had to call around and about a hour later had a friend come get their child. I was just about to call the parent again and tell them that they have to come right now and get their child. What is wrong with parents?
Their child should come first! I know employers don't like when employee's have to take time off because of a sick child, but for heaven sakes, a child is sick! You bet when the boss is sick or their child is sick, they don't think twice about taking the day off.
I also have had parents take their grand old time picking up their sick child after I have given them a call as I sit here with a sick child on my lap throwing up all over.
BumbleBee 10:17 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I sincerely hope mom's hoping to pull one over on you, rather than legitimately being that stupid....

Honestly, I'm not completely sure. She plays the ditz well...but I'm not sure it's an act. When the same kid was in pull ups mom started bringing dcb in his jammies (I allow it before a certain time in the am). I made it a point to tell her to not bring dcb in an over night pull up. Her response? "Oh we don't buy the over night ones so that will never happen."

Yeah, I didn't know what to say then either.
daycarediva 10:18 AM 10-21-2013
Honestly, I'm not completely sure. She plays the ditz well...but I'm not sure it's an act. When the same kid was in pull ups mom started bringing dcb in his jammies (I allow it before a certain time in the am). I made it a point to tell her to not bring dcb in an over night pull up. Her response? "Oh we don't buy the over night ones so that will never happen."

BAHAHAHA ok, that one had me LOL, literally!!!!
SilverSabre25 10:19 AM 10-21-2013

Wow. That's, um, yeah just wow. Some people are SO clueless...
Luna 10:24 AM 10-21-2013
It doesn't sound like she's faking the ditzy. It looks like you'll have to ask very specific questions and hold her hand and guide her through everything She's lucky to have you!
BumbleBee 01:17 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
It doesn't sound like she's faking the ditzy. It looks like you'll have to ask very specific questions and hold her hand and guide her through everything She's lucky to have you!
Yeah, you're right. To be honest, I'm not very good at dealing with her. I was telling her about kindergarten round up (her daughter was 4 at the time) back in March & she didn't respond-just looked at me like she was expecting something. I then told her that kindergarten round up is when she can register her daughter for kindergarten. Maybe it was my tone (I struggle with my tone with this dcm) but she looks at me and goes "Duh. I'm not stupid. You'd have to be an idiot to not know that."

Idk....maybe it's me! Just a few more months before they move.
hgonzalez 01:24 PM 10-21-2013
I have had a family that picked up their child due to a fever, gave them Tylenol, brought them to the doctor and then were mad at me because they show 'no signs of a fever' at the doctor's office. Then, hours later, they are miraculously 'sick from something they caught at Urgent Care, which they never would have gotten if I would not have sent the child home.'

Seriously, this happened.
Scout 01:33 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
Wow...that is all I can say. Is it that hard for parents to stay home with their kids when they are sick?? If my DS was sick I would run home with movies and juice, settle in on the couch with him and snuggle him!
This is exactly what I did the 2x in 4 years I had to pick up my oldest from daycare for throwing up. He was fine all day with me!
jenn 02:10 PM 10-21-2013
Wow. Shaking my head. Good luck.
Shell 02:29 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by hgonzalez:
I have had a family that picked up their child due to a fever, gave them Tylenol, brought them to the doctor and then were mad at me because they show 'no signs of a fever' at the doctor's office. Then, hours later, they are miraculously 'sick from something they caught at Urgent Care, which they never would have gotten if I would not have sent the child home.'

Seriously, this happened.
I believe I have dealt with this exact situation before. Parents can be so irrational at times.
se7en 03:21 PM 10-21-2013
I wonder why work is so much more important than their child. We had a 2 year old who feel and whacked his head, mom was called and she told our receptionist " I will call grandma or auntie and see if they can get him " ---what ???
nannyde 03:29 PM 10-21-2013

Oh the things parents say! That is funny. Made me spit my mochafrappalattechino at my phone screen!
melilley 07:08 PM 10-21-2013

ahhahahaha! Sorry I had to laugh at this one!

I had a mom drop her son off with one sock today (he has shoes here so comes in socks). She said dad laid out the clothes and there was only one sock. PUT ANOTHER SOCK ON YOUR CHILD! It was only 40 degrees, if that, this morning....
daycare 07:57 PM 10-21-2013
I have this mom.......she is extremely intelligent, but has ZERO comment sense.

I had to read this to all of my assistants, they died laughing.....

I send an email to DCM the other day telling her that on Monday 11/11/13 we will close for Veterans Day. She says oh well since we didn't serve the military either, we will see you on Monday. ????????

I still can't figure this one out.........
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, sick policy
Reply Up