Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newborn Drinking Amounts?
laundrymom 10:31 AM 12-10-2010
how much do normal 9 wk olds drink? I have a bf baby who always seems hungry, I know she is but mom is trying so so hard and just not getting enough milk. I have had them for 3 yrs, this is asecond baby and mom had more than enough milk for their first. I think this little one is just a piggie. I know in my heart what needs done,.. but please tell me not to recommend supplimenting.,.....Today is day 8 that she has been here,... this baby is hungry. Please tell me the magic answer..... she is drinking 4 ounces about 3 hours after drop off, then mom brings 3 - 4 more that she pumps at work to me at lunchtime. 7-9 ounces from 730 - 530,.. thats about 1/3 of how much a formula baby here drinks.
Missani 11:26 AM 12-10-2010
My bf babies (my own) ate about 4 oz. every three hours at that age while they were in dc. They weren't very big babies, and I'm sure they would have eaten more, but they were fine and my pediatrician told me that was very average for their age/size. They increased to about 5 oz. every 3 hrs. at about 3 months old.

The baby might very well be hungry. However my DS2 was kind of a strange one. He ate more than DS1, but he ate the same amount at dc as DS1. When we got home, he wanted to nurse half the evening, got up once at night, and then ate for about 45 minutes in the morning. Then he was fine all day. He just liked to be nursed better than drinking from a bottle. I guess the only way you can tell is if the baby seems to be gaining weight appropriately and has wet diapers. If so, then I'd say he/she is getting an average amount of breast milk and growing and wetting so is probably okay. Supplementing is such a hard issue because so many moms are offended by the suggestion. Good luck!
Greenshadow 11:26 AM 12-10-2010
I have a baby boy who is 2 months old and he drinks (breastfed milk) about 21 ozs during his stay with me every day. He never goes below 20 ozs in a day but sometimes goes up to about 23 or so. He comes fed already every morning at 6:30am and I feed him around 8am or so about six ounces. He then eats about every 2-3 hours another 4-5 ozs until mom picks up at 4:45pm. Hope that helps. If that baby is truly only getting 7-9 hours in that long of a day, I would definitely say something! Thats not even close to enough!
Lilbutterflie 11:44 AM 12-10-2010
So this baby is only getting two 4 ounce bottles for 10 hours? That is not enough! If mom wants to keep breastfeeding, exclusively, she needs to pump a lot more. The body only produces how much is being taken out. If there is more demand, the body will produce more. And I would say over the weekend, she needs to pump round the clock to replenish her stock so that she's got some in reserves! Maybe that way she won't have to make a trip during lunchtime, she can just use that free time to pump at work! IMO, baby needs at least three 4oz bottles, maybe even 4 to be safe for those ten hours in your care.
laundrymom 11:59 AM 12-10-2010
thanks guys,.. I know these things,.. I just needed,.. well someone else to tell me. I nursed my own and did so on demand. This baby has had 7 ounces today since 730. and Im out of milk. Ive been just rocking, bouncing, soothing her and just dealing with the crying but starting monday if she is hungry Im texting mom to bring more milk or formula. I cant do this, I am crying she is crying,.. its not good.

Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
So this baby is only getting two 4 ounce bottles for 10 hours? That is not enough! If mom wants to keep breastfeeding, exclusively, she needs to pump a lot more. The body only produces how much is being taken out. If there is more demand, the body will produce more. And I would say over the weekend, she needs to pump round the clock to replenish her stock so that she's got some in reserves! Maybe that way she won't have to make a trip during lunchtime, she can just use that free time to pump at work! IMO, baby needs at least three 4oz bottles, maybe even 4 to be safe for those ten hours in your care.

kendallina 12:04 PM 12-10-2010
Oh, that poor little baby. Yeh, it's a talk you need to have with mom. She's going to have to try and try to pump more. It can be such a struggle for nursing/working moms. But, you're right, the baby NEEDS more. Good luck.
mac60 01:01 PM 12-10-2010
That sounds like an awful lot of ounces in a daycare day. I have a 5 mo old right now that drinks 2 to 3 bottles per day, and never over 5 ounces at a time.
DCMomOf3 01:06 PM 12-10-2010
According to a chart have, 2-3 month olds need 4-7 bottles that are 4-7 ounces a day, so 28 ounces a day. It also says 6+ wet diapers a day is "a good sign that they are getting enough".
laundrymom 01:39 PM 12-10-2010
She is just hungry. Just lip smacking rooting tongue thrusting paci not working hungry.
grandmom 01:51 PM 12-10-2010
If mom can tollerate it: half a bottle of malt liquor a day. The brewers yeast helps produce milk. AND she should pump before she feeds the baby. Guaranteed that tomorrow she will produce more milk.

Good luck.
DCMomOf3 02:12 PM 12-10-2010
Did you start with any supply on the first day or has she only been providing on demand? I agree with the others. I would recommend having her pump first thing in the morning first off; you can get twice as much production right away than any other pumping session in the day. I hope too that she is remembering to stay hydrated throughout the day. I would suggest having her work in another pumping at work as well as pumping after each bfing session at home, even on the weekends. It will be harder on mom but if she wants to do strictly bm she will have to work for it.
Greenshadow 05:03 AM 12-11-2010
I talked to my dcm who breastfeeds her baby and she said to make sure she gets up at night to pump her milk since its producing it and her baby isnt needing it at that time. She needs to build up her supply so that she isnt bringing you only what she has and no more. My DCM gives me about 6-7 bags of breastmilk every morning with about 4-5 ozs of milk in each one! She says she pumps about three times a day during the day to start up her supply for the following day and she also started pumping before her son started back in care, before her maternity leave was up, to get a supply going. This parent of yours can also speak with the breastfeeding person at her clinic too. I dont remember what they're called. Le Leche Something....Sorry!
jen 08:59 AM 12-11-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
That sounds like an awful lot of ounces in a daycare day. I have a 5 mo old right now that drinks 2 to 3 bottles per day, and never over 5 ounces at a time.
I have a 4 month old that drinks 6 to 8 ounces every 3 to 4 hours, I think it just depends on the baby. Mine is a little chunky monkey!
nannyde 10:05 AM 12-11-2010
My general starting point is one ounce per month. So if the child is nine weeks I would want them to have a minimum of two ounces plus another five to ten millileters every three hours. That's from start of feeding to the next start of feeding.

If they are 3.5 months old then they have 3.5 ounces.

Once they are past the fourth month then I usually increase to five to six ounces BUT that would be working toward increasing their times to three hours from stop of first bottle to start of next bottle.

With breast milk babies ymmv. They seem to eat way more often. I require that I have at least twenty ounces of stock in the freezer for spare. If I start tapping into the stock then it needs to be replaced. If the Mom can't produce the milk then we have to work on supplementing with formula.

I can't have a kid hungry in my house. I can't go by how much the child eats with the parents. Normally how they eat here doesn't mirror their needs at home. Usually they need a lot more here a lot more often so I have to have a nice stock here.

I make sure that when I have them the first day that my freezer is stocked with spare.... a LOT of spare. I have them bring a few two ouncers for those times when they need a bit more. It's white gold so I make sure I use every drop.

I'm also a little on the clutsy side and have dumped over a full bottle of it three/four times. That's a heartbreaker but it DOES happen. You have to have a good amount of extra and keep the stock stocked.
MN Mom 01:13 PM 12-11-2010
Originally Posted by grandmom:
If mom can tollerate it: half a bottle of malt liquor a day. The brewers yeast helps produce milk. AND she should pump before she feeds the baby. Guaranteed that tomorrow she will produce more milk.

Good luck.
This really works! My great grandmother used it, my grandmother used it, my mother used it. The doc suggested it to me in the hospital. Though I didn't need it, and I didn't end up breast feeding due to an inverted nipple, and sensitivity (red head, bleeding, tremendous pain).

They didn't target beer advertisements at women with babies back in the 50's for nothing. I remember an old 50's add that said something like: Blatz Beer, happy baby, happy mother!
SilverSabre25 01:56 PM 12-11-2010
Other things that increase lactation (known as "galactologues" are eating oatmeal, taking fennel, and taking fenugreek. Besides that, the absolute best way to increase milk production is to nurse the baby! She should be spending evenings and weekends nursing on demand, snuggling in bed nursing, and letting baby comfort nurse to increase the demand, thereby increasing supply. She can look on www.kellymom.com for advice if she needs it.

If she's got more than enough milk but has trouble pumping, she could look into renting a hospital grade pump and make sure that the pump fits her breasts well enough.

That being said, some mama's have breast tissue that's fantastic for nursing, but just doesn't work so well for pumping.
KEG123 04:58 PM 12-11-2010
If mom is already coming in the middle of the day to drop off milk, offer her your couch and let her feed right then and there. Then you have the rest of the milk for the rest of the day.

And I agree with everyone else, she needs to get her supply up somehow or another because thats not enough milk.
SilverSabre25 05:28 PM 12-11-2010
Originally Posted by KEG123:
If mom is already coming in the middle of the day to drop off milk, offer her your couch and let her feed right then and there. Then you have the rest of the milk for the rest of the day.
BIG ditto!! I didn't notice that mom was coming in the middle of the day--she should totally nurse baby right then and there! Even if she just pumped, baby is a MUCH more efficient pump than any silly machine.

Another thought for the supply--mom needs to be drinking enough water and making sure she's not taking anything that dries up a milk supply, like Benedryl or and cold medicine. If you have a good health food store or natural food store around, she should also look into Mother's Milk Tea, which is another supply booster. It's made by Traditional Medicinals and I see that it's available on Amazon too.
laundrymom 10:44 AM 12-13-2010
she cant nurse here, well,... she wont. she has an older child here and its not pretty. She is the boss at work so pumping privacy isnt an issue. Pumping time either. Dad dropped today with 3 1/2 ounces,... supposedly mom had just fed her at 1030, he took her to moms work. He actually texted me at 9 said he was there , mom was feeding, and he would be right here. He got here at 5 til 11.. she has been crying since drop off but Ive got her until 530 tonight with 3 1/2 ounces. I texted mom asking if she should be hungry yet and she said no,... so Ill wait another 10 min feed her what I have and call it good. Ill text when it is gone and let her know she is still hungry. I have formula in her cubbie that mom may say to use. Im going to have to just be honest with her about how hungry she seems to me. truthfully, this baby would probably eat 4 ounces every 3 hours,... I just hate it, crying hungry baby,... and no mom didnt send any additional stores for me to use. Ive never had this problem before. Ive always had moms just send 18-25 ounces a day and call it good.

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
BIG ditto!! I didn't notice that mom was coming in the middle of the day--she should totally nurse baby right then and there! Even if she just pumped, baby is a MUCH more efficient pump than any silly machine.

Another thought for the supply--mom needs to be drinking enough water and making sure she's not taking anything that dries up a milk supply, like Benedryl or and cold medicine. If you have a good health food store or natural food store around, she should also look into Mother's Milk Tea, which is another supply booster. It's made by Traditional Medicinals and I see that it's available on Amazon too.

Lilbutterflie 01:31 PM 12-13-2010
I would put my foot down on this one. I would not accept her in my care if I only had 3 1/2 ounces for 6 1/2 hours of care. I would tell her parents that you need a minimum of one 4 ounce bottle every 3 hours she is in your care. Anything over 3 hours needs two bottles, anything over 6 hours needs 3 bottles, etc... AND just in case, I would also ask for an upfront stock of at least two bottles worth for your freezer. And when you use your stock, make them replace it. She's going to tell you that she just doesn't have enough stock to give you. Please don't give in, give her suggestions like those already posted to increase her supply. I have in the past woken myself up to pump during the night, and I've pumped after feeding to build my supply. Your body will produce as much as is being demanded of it. Unless she has a milk production problem, in which case you have got to supplement to keep this little baby fed!!
DCMomOf3 02:14 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I would put my foot down on this one. I would not accept her in my care if I only had 3 1/2 ounces for 6 1/2 hours of care. I would tell her parents that you need a minimum of one 4 ounce bottle every 3 hours she is in your care. Anything over 3 hours needs two bottles, anything over 6 hours needs 3 bottles, etc... AND just in case, I would also ask for an upfront stock of at least two bottles worth for your freezer. And when you use your stock, make them replace it. She's going to tell you that she just doesn't have enough stock to give you. Please don't give in, give her suggestions like those already posted to increase her supply. I have in the past woken myself up to pump during the night, and I've pumped after feeding to build my supply. Your body will produce as much as is being demanded of it. Unless she has a milk production problem, in which case you have got to supplement to keep this little baby fed!!
agree 100%
laundrymom 05:30 PM 12-13-2010
I have decided to feed her on demand and when she runs out call to have her picked up. I can't do this anymore
Unregistered 07:35 PM 12-17-2010
Breastfed babies typically need 1oz per hour they are away from their moms. The average intake of a breastfed baby from 1 month - 6 months, over a 24 hour period is about 25oz. Breastfed babies need to eat frequently and not more than 4oz MAX at a time. Only slow flow nipples should be used on the bottles. When nursing, after finishing the eating part the baby can continue to suck for comfort. On a bottle there is no comfort sucking and the baby's eating "experience" is not the same, which is why they may act like they are still hungry.

Check out these resources:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

To increase her supply, the mom can try to pump for a longer period of time, make sure she's pumping at least every 3 hours at work, continue pumping in addition to nursing on weekends to stimulate her body to produce more.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
dEHmom 06:03 AM 12-18-2010
I agree with everything that has been said.

If you don't have a stock what will you do if the bottle spills?

If mom has given you a go on the formula you should use it. One option is to do a percentage of BM and formula in each bottle, rather than going BM one feeding and formula the next. Easier on babies tummy.

It's not fair that you have to sit and try calm a baby who is hungry because mom isn't pumping enough. Definitely need to explain to them that baby needs more!
Every baby is different. BF babies eat a lot more often. I couldn't continue with my youngest because he's nurse for an hour, and fall asleep, you'd put him down, and he'd want more! He had pyloric stenosis which basically was just tiring him out and he ended up not having the strength to nurse anymore, and all the bm was wasted anyway. But I couldn't eat/drink enough, nor rest enough to produce enough milk with him attached 23/hrs/day.

Formula is more filling and they can go longer in between feedings. So if mom isn't willing to stock you up, and since she is already given to go for formula, I say dilute the BM with some formula and give it a whirl.

BM is always better for baby (assuming mom is eating/drinking properly), but until you get that reserve stock, you have to feed that baby.
Tags:drinking amounts, infant, new born
Reply Up