Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potential New Client
spud912 11:54 AM 02-23-2011
I would like to be patient and find the best fit for my open slot. I already did one interview with a single mother who has a 2 1/2 year old boy. I was wondering if you all would take him if you had time to find a good fit.

Here are the pluses:
(1) Both parents have stable jobs.
(2) Boy will be within the same age group as the others in my care (22 months to 3 years old).
(3) Parents state that boy likes to play with others and by himself (as he is very independent).
(4) He is a boy (I have all girls right now and would love less drama).
(5) He will be here full time and the same hours ever day.

Here are the drawbacks:
(1) Father says that he gets along great with mother, although mother tells me during interview to correspond only with her. A couple of other comments she makes makes me think that they do not get along. That's understandable, but I would like to be able to contact both parents.
(2) Mother never picks up the phone when I call her and she doesn't return my prior phone calls. One message I left she said she never got. I've only called her twice (once to discuss child care and another to re-schedule our interview).
(3) Boy is not potty trained and parents seem very relaxed about it. I'm ok with potty training when he is ready, but he will be 3 soon and they have not even attempted. Mother says that he doesn't say when he has gone and doesn't appear to care.
(4) Boy showed no interest in interacting with my 2 year old daughter during the interview. He could have been shy, but I thought it was odd that he acted like she did not exist.
(5) The biggest problem: he naps VERY early (at 11 am). Our nap time is 1 pm. I need everyone to nap at that time. If you all think I can train him to sleep later, than I will overlook everything else. His mother states that he wakes up super early (4:30 am sometimes), which is why he gets so tired early on.
(6) Mother showed up late for the interview by 10-15 minutes and didn't apologize or even acknowledge the time. On top of that, she said "you will find that I run late frequently."

What do you think? Wait it out for someone better? My husband wants me to pass her over because she was not good about communicating with me and she may be late frequently.
nannyde 12:07 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by ssam001:
I would like to be patient and find the best fit for my open slot. I already did one interview with a single mother who has a 2 1/2 year old boy. I was wondering if you all would take him if you had time to find a good fit.

Here are the pluses:
(1) Both parents have stable jobs.
(2) Boy will be within the same age group as the others in my care (22 months to 3 years old).
(3) Parents state that boy likes to play with others and by himself (as he is very independent).
(4) He is a boy (I have all girls right now and would love less drama).
(5) He will be here full time and the same hours ever day.

Here are the drawbacks:
(1) Father says that he gets along great with mother, although mother tells me during interview to correspond only with her. A couple of other comments she makes makes me think that they do not get along. That's understandable, but I would like to be able to contact both parents.
(2) Mother never picks up the phone when I call her and she doesn't return my prior phone calls. One message I left she said she never got. I've only called her twice (once to discuss child care and another to re-schedule our interview).
(3) Boy is not potty trained and parents seem very relaxed about it. I'm ok with potty training when he is ready, but he will be 3 soon and they have not even attempted. Mother says that he doesn't say when he has gone and doesn't appear to care.
(4) Boy showed no interest in interacting with my 2 year old daughter during the interview. He could have been shy, but I thought it was odd that he acted like she did not exist.
(5) The biggest problem: he naps VERY early (at 11 am). Our nap time is 1 pm. I need everyone to nap at that time. If you all think I can train him to sleep later, than I will overlook everything else. His mother states that he wakes up super early (4:30 am sometimes), which is why he gets so tired early on.
(6) Mother showed up late for the interview by 10-15 minutes and didn't apologize or even acknowledge the time. On top of that, she said "you will find that I run late frequently."

What do you think? Wait it out for someone better? My husband wants me to pass her over because she was not good about communicating with me and she may be late frequently.
On top of that, she said "you will find that I run late frequently."
Parent translator: You will do as you are told.

Absolutely NOT. I wouldn't even consider taking her.
SandeeAR 12:15 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by ssam001:
On top of that, she said "you will find that I run late frequently."
That would be the deal breaker for me. She will rarely if ever, be on time for pickkup. She will take her own sweet time coming for her child when he gets sick. She will give you late notice, if at all when he is sick and not attending. Does running late also apply to her checks?

I would run the other way FAST!
Pammie 12:22 PM 02-23-2011
Yeah - late for the interview is a BIG red flag for me. And acknowledging being late for the interview without an apology - that would be a second strike.

I'd keep looking for another client
squareone 12:35 PM 02-23-2011
"you will find that I run late frequently."

This would be all I needed to hear. Pass on this one.
nannyde 12:56 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
"you will find that I run late frequently."

This would be all I needed to hear. Pass on this one.
DCM: you will find that I run late frequently.
Nan: You will find yourself a new daycare frequently.

I do LOVE how bold that is though. It makes me laugh. Three cheers for the entitled generation. They don't even GET that someone in society "might" say no to that. Like their daycare provider, their boss, their landlord....

LOVE it.
Live and Learn 01:02 PM 02-23-2011
No thanks...
I am very strict with my pick up time.
SilverSabre25 01:08 PM 02-23-2011
Yeah the lateness thing is a HUGE red flag to me.

The nap thing wouldn't even phase me...from day one he would just simply be napping at 1 with everyone else and he would adjust (and might even sleep better at night as a result). Nothing else was a major red flag to me, either...but that flippant admission of frequent lateness would bother the crap out of me.

And I have trouble with punctuality, myself. (Have I ever mentioned that the bestest part of working at home is that it's impossible to be late for work )
daycare 01:12 PM 02-23-2011
I would love to have her. She alone would fund my entire family trip to Hawaii on all the late fees i would be charging!
Little People 01:32 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would love to have her. She alone would fund my entire family trip to Hawaii on all the late fees i would be charging!
Never thought about this. Good point But all my parents are great and have always picked up on time.
Reply Up