Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Wait to Close?
Unregistered quitter 10:45 AM 10-17-2013
I've only had my day care open less than 6 months an I decided this morning that I no longer want to do this. I was going to tell my families tomorrow that I was givin mhy two week notice but I had my first injury with a dkb and I don't know if it will look like i'm trying to hide something and close because of it but or something. i called parent and told of injury and they seemed ok but i don't know how they'll be after picking up. pretty nasty looking bruise on head from falling over onto floor from standing infant. i just can't see myself doing this anymore but i don't want to have them think i did anything wrong. i was 10 feet away when it happened. i'm no doctor but i think dkb is ok even though dkb looks horrible but i also don't know how much it takes to cause a bad head injury. i just want to be done with this but i don't kniw if i should wait another week or whatever before telling them.
Soccermom 10:59 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered quitter:
I've only had my day care open less than 6 months an I decided this morning that I no longer want to do this. I was going to tell my families tomorrow that I was givin mhy two week notice but I had my first injury with a dkb and I don't know if it will look like i'm trying to hide something and close because of it but or something. i called parent and told of injury and they seemed ok but i don't know how they'll be after picking up. pretty nasty looking bruise on head from falling over onto floor from standing infant. i just can't see myself doing this anymore but i don't want to have them think i did anything wrong. i was 10 feet away when it happened. i'm no doctor but i think dkb is ok even though dkb looks horrible but i also don't know how much it takes to cause a bad head injury. i just want to be done with this but i don't kniw if i should wait another week or whatever before telling them.
I would just tell that particular family that the stress of childcare has really gotten the better of you and that you find it really hard, especially when a child gets hurt. There is no shame in that at all. You aren't trying to hide anything. You are being honest with yourself and with your DCF.

As for the other DCFS, you can just tell them that this line of work is not for you and apologize for the inconvenience to them. If you wish you can also include a list of qualified childcare providers in your area.

I envy you for getting out LOL! I have been saying I am done for years....
BrooklynM 11:10 AM 10-17-2013
Just out of curiosity, what made you want to go into this business in the first place? I would think long and hard about the reasons before you quit. Was it after the injury that you decided to quit? Maybe you are being too hard on yourself?

If you are sure you do want to quit though, I'm sure your families will support your decision. Maybe you can offer to help them find new care or research a few places around your area and find out if there are other openings?

As for the injured child, these things happen!
JoseyJo 12:17 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Yep! Injuries happen, and most of the time the parents are totally understanding. Kids get hurt, it's part of being a kid.
Margarete 01:11 PM 10-17-2013
I would suggest just waiting to make sure closing is really what you want to do, and not just the 'I had a really bad day' talking, which can happen in any job.
Unregistered 01:12 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Just out of curiosity, what made you want to go into this business in the first place? I would think long and hard about the reasons before you quit. Was it after the injury that you decided to quit? Maybe you are being too hard on yourself?

If you are sure you do want to quit though, I'm sure your families will support your decision. Maybe you can offer to help them find new care or research a few places around your area and find out if there are other openings?

My mind was actually made up about an hour before this happened. just my type of luck.

I thought having a stay at home job would allow me the time and flexibility to enjoy my own children but instead I feel like i'm a prisoner in my own home. I know alot of it has to do with the ages that i have to care for. all under 1 1/2. i am unable to leave the house to do anything and my own child suffers because of that. i don't make enough to pay my bills and to top everything off i am potentially getting a divorce in the very near future and then i wont even have a house to run a day care anyway. i don't know what i'm going to do for work as i haven't found a job yet but i know i can't keep doing this. i don't want someone else to raise my child but i can't seem to provide the right social environment so this is the next best option. if i can even afford to pay a day care. so many things thave gone wrong in recent weeks and i'm over all of it. i just want to be able to take care of my own kids and i don't know if that's even possible anymore. the injury today was just the icing on the cake to make me worry about even more.
BrooklynM 01:17 PM 10-17-2013
Awe...I'm so sorry for what you are going through. When I went through my divorce, I felt the strong desire to get a steady paycheck and went from a commissioned sales job into a stable management position. I know exactly how you feel. You will probably need the stimulation of co-workers too! Is there a way you can start looking for another job and then give your notice? Or are you able to quit first and then look for a job?

Keep your head up, it will get better, I promise!
Tags:notice of closure, tired of daycare
Reply Up