Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reimbursement for Drop-In No-Show?
DBug 02:28 PM 03-24-2011
I've been doing drop-in care for a family with no contract (a mistake I won't make again!), and they have an outstanding credit right now. DCB was scheduled to come in one day, but Gramma ended up watching him instead. I had been prepaid for that day, and dc mom called to tell me about Gramma and to ask if she could put her remaining credit (one day's worth) towards another day. After realizing what I had done to myself, I said yes, since we didn't have a contract that said otherwise, I would give her another day's worth of care to make up for it.

It's been a few weeks now, and I've since filled in my drop-in spots with permanent part-timers. I emailed dc mom to let her know that the spots were taken but that I could still take her LO if someone was sick.

Here's the thing though -- they're moving quite soon, and I'd rather be done with the outstanding credit. I hate having it hanging over my head like this. There is very little chance that someone will be sick on a day that dc mom can use at the last minute (my dc kids are pretty healthy and sick days are actually pretty few and far between).

Should I just give her the $30 and be done with it? Or should I just let it go and let her keep calling every couple of days to find out if anyone is sick, with the possibility of her moving without ever using up her credit?
daycare 02:35 PM 03-24-2011
I would just refund her the money so that I wouldn't have to deal with it any more. I like things simple. Im sure if you explained she would understand.
momatheart 02:35 PM 03-24-2011
I would mail her the money.

I would send a letter also saying feel free to still call and see if I have an opening if you need care. Enclosed is your credit that you had with me. I want to make sure you get this incase you move before using it.
ninosqueridos 02:47 PM 03-24-2011
You're too nice - I was nice like that with folks dozens of times, and the ONE time I couldn't offer another day as a "makeup" (because the rest of the children were now fulltime, similar to your situation), parents flipped out, called me a liar and that I was stealing money, blah blah blah....I just issued them a term letter along with a refund check and called it a day. So glad the dcps are out of my hair now.

I agree with the PP - their moving is a great excuse to send them a return check just in case they end up leaving town...good luck.
Tags:drop in care, no show, reimbursement
Reply Up