Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Yet Another Wonderful Pick-Up With DCD
NavyWife 02:20 PM 05-18-2011

So yesterday, I posted about how he wanted me to 'try harder' to potty train his daughter and suggested I let her run around my house naked..
Today, he came to pick the kids up and it was raining and hailing outside. He comes in and as I'm getting the one child's shoes on (he had left the younger child's shoes at home today), he tells me that he has a favor to ask. I'm thinking it will be about the potty thing again.. but no, he says he is flat broke and doesn't have gas to get home tonight or to get to work tomorrow and asks if he can borrow $20. I politely tell him that we don't keep cash at the house. He asks if I can run to the atm. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!! It's storming and hailing and you want me to put my kids in the car and go get you money?! I tell him that we don't really have extra money right now- which we don't. He's like you don't have $20?? Umm. no. I don't have $20 that I am willing to give you.

What the heck is wrong with this guy?! Yes, I am friends with his wife, but I really think he is crossing the line here. Yesterday he got mad at me because I wouldn't let his kid be naked at my house, today he gets mad and walks out saying fine then, I won't be seeing you tomorrow, because I wouldn't give him $20.

I'm seriously so ready to be done watching their kids. I gave them a three week notice last week that I couldn't watch them anymore after the end of the month. We don't have any contracts, and I'm seriously scared to tell my husband about this because I know he will fly off the handle and tell the guy not to bring them back and then they will just figure they don't need to pay for the three days I watched them this week.
nannyde 02:23 PM 05-18-2011
That explains the nekkid potty training thing. No diapers saves money.

All he needs is gas to get out of your driveway. After that, it's no concern to you.
jen2651 02:57 PM 05-18-2011
I'd just push his car out of the driveway. I can't believe the audacity. Seriously, you don't have $1.50 in change in your car until you get home to your change dish? I think we have all been there, but I would NEVER ask my daycare provider for the money. If I am unwilling to ask my own parents, I wouldn't ask any one else.
daycare 03:03 PM 05-18-2011
I would have loaned it with 50% interest!
Lol
sharlan 03:04 PM 05-18-2011
I rarely keep cash on hand. My husband just asked me for $5 and I had to get it out of the change jar.

I have never had a parent ask me for money before.
Crystal 03:05 PM 05-18-2011
this statement right here:

"today he gets mad and walks out saying fine then, I won't be seeing you tomorrow, because I wouldn't give him $20."

would have been the LAST time he ever spoke to me that way. I would have stopped him dead in his tracks and said "you are right, I won't be seeing you tomrrow because effective immediately your child care arrangement is terminated" No one could pay me enough to "threaten" me in any way.
NavyWife 03:53 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
this statement right here:

"today he gets mad and walks out saying fine then, I won't be seeing you tomorrow, because I wouldn't give him $20."

would have been the LAST time he ever spoke to me that way. I would have stopped him dead in his tracks and said "you are right, I won't be seeing you tomrrow because effective immediately your child care arrangement is terminated" No one could pay me enough to "threaten" me in any way.
Oh believe me, I wanted to! The only reason I didn't is because his wife is away right now and I am friends with her, and because I know I only have 7 more days of dealing with his crap before I am done with watching their kids. And I will never, never, under any circumstance accept them back. Friends or not, this is business and I'm not dealing with her husband. Now I know exactly why his daughter thinks she can throw a fit whenever she doesn't get her way, because that's exactly what he's done!
wdmmom 04:11 PM 05-18-2011
That's about as bad as a provider asking a client to pay early! You just don't do it!!!!
Unregistered 07:44 PM 05-18-2011
You are out of gas. I would always help a parent out if I could, even a stranger at the gas station with a kiddo. Being the DCP, you can always ask for the money to be paid back, but running out of gas with a kid in the car is the worst. Been there. Also, since gas is over 4.00 here, I keep finding my tank on empty despite near daily twenty dollar gas stops.
PitterPatter 08:07 PM 05-18-2011
The nerve to ask in the 1st place but then to say You dont have $20? I would have said why is that such a shock YOU dont have $20 either and u are asking ME for it!

I have been asked a few times (by the same DCM) for gas money, milk money, diaper money, even a snack and a juice once because a DCM was running late for work and didn't have any breakfast! The nerve of people today I tell ya! Balls of steel!

Oh and TERM that fool ASAP!
NavyWife 03:02 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You are out of gas. I would always help a parent out if I could, even a stranger at the gas station with a kiddo. Being the DCP, you can always ask for the money to be paid back, but running out of gas with a kid in the car is the worst. Been there. Also, since gas is over 4.00 here, I keep finding my tank on empty despite near daily twenty dollar gas stops.
Amazingly, he made it home with no problem and texted at 10pm telling me that he would be here today. Out of gas? Or needed cigarettes? I think the latter.
Meeko 04:48 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Helping out a stranger who obviously needs the help is one thing. That stranger is not going to come back and ask again and again.

If she gives this guy money once, I guarantee he will ask again and again because he thinks she's his own personal ATM. His attitude proves he has no respect for her at all...so he will continue any and all bad behavior she lets him get away with..
Kaddidle Care 05:03 AM 05-19-2011
I hate to ask this but.. have you been paid in advance for that last week? Because if you haven't, you can bet on being taken advantage of for free childcare.
juliebug 06:39 AM 05-19-2011
wow that is crazy glad you will be done with them soon!
NavyWife 11:00 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I hate to ask this but.. have you been paid in advance for that last week? Because if you haven't, you can bet on being taken advantage of for free childcare.
Unfortunately, no. Which is part of the reason I won't ever be taking them back. They only want to pay for the days they bring the kids, they don't have the common courtesy to even let me know sometimes when they aren't bringing them- I find out when I text them in the mornings after I've already gotten out of bed at 5:30 am to get them. And, they pay every two weeks, not in advance. I totally got screwed on this set up, and I am well aware of it. I think because we're friends they think they can take advantage of me. I'm pretty sure they planning on waiting until the wife comes back on Saturday or Sunday to pay me for the two weeks, which is going to piss me off big time. I'm trying to think of a good way to bring it up to DCD that I expect to be paid in full when he picks the kids up next Friday. DCM would normally text me the day before payday and ask what the balance is.. Maybe I should send him a text saying Just a reminder, payday is tomorrow, your balance is____?
Sugar Magnolia 11:27 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by NavyWife:
They only want to pay for the days they bring the kids....
I have seen this type of comment many times in the short time I have been on this forum. Please, everyone, try to get paid in ADVANCE, on fridays, for the following week. Have set schedules, these parents should be paying for the availability of the spot always, not just when its convenient for them. If a child comes M,W, F then make them pay for those three days in advance, and if they don't show up on wednesday, then free money for you. You are the only one being hurt by the "pay as you go" method, and uncooperative, jerky dads like this know that, that's why they do it. YOU and your family come first, and don't tolerate people who get away with not paying you if they don't show up. I'd be in financial ruin if I allowed that. Your expenses stay the same, so why should a parent get a "discount" on their monthly expenses by screwing you? I don't mean to be harsh, but get PAID people, don't let these parents push you around. Change your policy: pay in advance for X number of days, no discounts for no-shows!
Sugar Magnolia 11:37 AM 05-19-2011
Look at it this way: when you pay your cable, telephone, insurance and just about ALL bills, you are paying in ADVANCE for next months TV viewing, calls, etc. If the cable company makes YOU pay in advance, you make YOUR clients pay in advance. Its how the world works. How can you even predict your monthly budget if you're not sure how much income you'll have?
Tags:husband, parents - ask too much, parents - rude, potty train
Reply Up