Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Do This?
momma2girls 12:07 PM 03-22-2012
I am really considering since all my daycare families are teachers, changing my contract to make it valid Aug. thru May, with their school schedules. I have been doing teacher's children for 3 yrs. now, and just thought of it.
How in the world would you do your vacation days? SInce now, I have 2 weeks of paid vac. Jan. - Dec. of every yr. I still have 8 more left to go for the yr. If I did it the school yr. I would lose out on my vac. so far, or lose out on the upcoming ones, etc.... HMMM- it's stumping me!!! HELP!!!
Country Kids 12:11 PM 03-22-2012
When I did strictly teachers children, I didn't take a set aside vacation time. If schools were closed, I was closed. I took every school holiday off, teachers days off, etc.

I figured I was getting enough time off and then with summer, that I didn't need to schedule vacation time off.

Those where the days-enjoy them while you have them.
bice99 12:12 PM 03-22-2012
Well you'd have all summer as a vacation. I taught for 11 years before starting my DC. I am closed all stat holidays, Christmas break and spring break. Basically, if the teachers don't have to report, I don't either. If kids are off but teachers work, I work. I have teacher and non-teacher families, so I am open year round. My teachers pay half rate over the summer to hold their spots for the next fall. If you don't want to do that, charge more during the school year and save up.
momma2girls 12:39 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
When I did strictly teachers children, I didn't take a set aside vacation time. If schools were closed, I was closed. I took every school holiday off, teachers days off, etc.

I figured I was getting enough time off and then with summer, that I didn't need to schedule vacation time off.

Those where the days-enjoy them while you have them.
you are very lucky to have parents stay home, when they are off. I only have one family here that does that. The other one lies to me, always saying she has to go in anyway!!! I have never once had a day off from this family, other than Holiday or my vac.
momma2girls 12:40 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
Well you'd have all summer as a vacation. I taught for 11 years before starting my DC. I am closed all stat holidays, Christmas break and spring break. Basically, if the teachers don't have to report, I don't either. If kids are off but teachers work, I work. I have teacher and non-teacher families, so I am open year round. My teachers pay half rate over the summer to hold their spots for the next fall. If you don't want to do that, charge more during the school year and save up.
My teachers all come anyway, regardless if they have off!! If I didn't charge them 1/2 their weekly rate during Xmas and Spring breaks, they would all come anyways!! I have 3 different families, from different districts, so I never have the same break off anyways.
momma2girls 12:42 PM 03-22-2012
When having your teacher's pay 1/2 their weekly rate to hold their spot, do they come 1/2 the time each week? What do you have in your contract about this?
momma2girls 12:50 PM 03-22-2012
I only require a 2 week nonrefundable fee to hold spot all summer long.
bice99 02:42 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
you are very lucky to have parents stay home, when they are off. I only have one family here that does that. The other one lies to me, always saying she has to go in anyway!!! I have never once had a day off from this family, other than Holiday or my vac.
You can look up the teacher's work calendar on many school websites. Usually in the HR category
bice99 02:48 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
When having your teacher's pay 1/2 their weekly rate to hold their spot, do they come 1/2 the time each week? What do you have in your contract about this?
My families are PT anyway, and I have a weekly minimum (3 1/2 days rate) so that wouldn't be fair when some parents pay that minimum and only come 2 days. So as a courtesy, the kids can come 1/5 of their normal days/hours for "free". The $ is paying for a future spot, so if I'm out of town on vacation in the summer, they still pay. I determine the day/hours based on the other kids in my care (and what I want). So I try to lump as many kids onto one day as I can. They pay the full amount due on June 15th (our district teachers get all 3 summer checks on the last day of school. I worked for the district and my DH does now so I know they have the $ to do this). So a 3 day/week kid (9 hours max a day) kid is normally here for 27 hours, the kid gets to come for 5.5 hours. And yes, I look at direct care vs indirect care. So 10-3:30 are the hours I give this family on Thursdays (or whatever day) in the summer. I have a form/letter I send out in Mid April. It's due by May 1st with their choice (stay at normal contract days/hours, hold for the summer or not pay, not hold). Then I have a separate contract for the summer. All of my teacher families (except one that was a bad fit and we were both just surviving the year) pay every summer.
bice99 02:49 PM 03-22-2012
Oh - and my handbook (renewed each July 1st) has all of my closed days, so they cannot bring them on days teachers don't work or long vacations.
momma2girls 03:22 PM 03-22-2012
You can look up the teacher's work calendar on many school websites. Usually in the HR category
I looked it up, and they always say they always have to work!! Another nice thing- she tells me she is forced to go in early on late starts also!!
momma2girls 03:22 PM 03-22-2012
Oh - and my handbook (renewed each July 1st) has all of my closed days, so they cannot bring them on days teachers don't work or long vacations.
Do you take the days they have off?
bice99 12:08 AM 03-23-2012
I am closed to all families on the days teachers don't work (except the summer). Gives me some breaks with my own family. Today we had a 2 hour late start due to snow. So I didn't open until 9:15
Reply Up