Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Convo with DCM at drop off.
MrsB 06:02 AM 02-27-2012
DCM - I forgot to give Miss J her allergy meds this weekend so she has been so snotty. I gave them to her this morning but she still has alot of drainage.

Me - Oh ok, yeah my daughter woke up with a cold Saturday morning.

DCM - Oh how did you know it wasn't allergies?

Me - because allergies dont usually flare up when there is snow on the ground, and allergies dont result in massive green boogies.

Mom and I both look at Miss J's nose with massive green snot coming from both nostrils

DCM - Oh well maybe hers is a cold too.

Me - (thinking but not saying out loud - you think?) Well as I said before colds aren't an excludable illness. But if she can't keep up with the rest of us, is too fussy, or gets a fever, you'll get a phone call, wether the cause be cold or allergies!

DCM - ok have a nice day. (I could tell she felt really embarrassed)

Now dont get me wrong, I love this family. DCD is 2 and I have had her since she was 5 week old. They are amazing! However, did she really think she was going to pass off a cold as allergies, kind of like when I called her on the cold she blamed on teething last month.

LOL, cracks me up.

By the way, Miss J seems to be acting fine, just super stuffy and I have to wipe her nose every 5 minutes. Time to get out the vasaline, so her nose doesnt get chapped!
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 02-27-2012
LOL!! Yes, Monday mornings can be funny...here is a convo I had with a DCM, (Whom I love too) Her son is 20 mos. Been here since he was 6 weeks.

Mom: "He had a temp yesterday but it was only 100.3F so I don't think it is anything serious"

Me: "Um, he can't be here if he hd a temp over 99 F in the last 24 hours."

Mom: "Oh, it's ok, I took it under his arm and it was only 99F so I think it only gets over the 99 mark if you add that one degree"

Me " yeah, but that is still a temp over 99F so he should be at home today"

Mom: "Oh, but is just that one tooth coming in in the back and the temp is only 99F right now"

Me: "It doesn't matter what the reason is, any fever over 99F means staying home. Plus if he actually has a temp now he needs to stay home until it is gone. Not to mention that we have had RSV and strep going around so I am sorry but I just can't risk it." (she doesn't do meds at all so I know she isn't going to med and cover anything up)

Mom: "Oh ok, well I had the morning off anyways so I guess he can just hang with me."

Me: See you Wednesday.

Sometimes, I just have to wonder...... This dcb also has massive green snot and is soooo stuffy he can hardly breathe, was super crankly both Thursday and Friday last week so yeah, I am sure it is only teething....
countrymom 06:54 AM 02-27-2012
why do parents think when its green snot its allergies. and these allergies only appear in the winter.
cheerfuldom 06:57 AM 02-27-2012
I had one mom tell me her daughter was allergic to snow! Everytime it snowed, she had her allergies flare up. It was never a cold of course.
Country Kids 07:08 AM 02-27-2012
Actually don't disregard allergies in the winter! I know several people that only have allergies in the winter months-doctor verified. In the winter you will have lots of mold out that people are allergic to, I actually get very, very stuffed up in the winter (cold like symptoms) because of our heating system, I know others like this to. It because of all the dust and what ever gets sucked up in the vent. I have one friend that has been yucky with sickness since November but not sick. Been to the doctor numberous times, but nothing. Now she is on to a ENT because possibly allergies.
familyschoolcare 07:20 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Actually don't disregard allergies in the winter! I know several people that only have allergies in the winter months-doctor verified. In the winter you will have lots of mold out that people are allergic to, I actually get very, very stuffed up in the winter (cold like symptoms) because of our heating system, I know others like this to. It because of all the dust and what ever gets sucked up in the vent. I have one friend that has been yucky with sickness since November but not sick. Been to the doctor numberous times, but nothing. Now she is on to a ENT because possibly allergies.
The heater can also dry the air out. Whcich cause runny noses. My children doc. Told me to run the hummifiier when running the heater alot.
PitterPatter 07:24 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I had one mom tell me her daughter was allergic to snow! Everytime it snowed, she had her allergies flare up. It was never a cold of course.
That made me literally LOL! Haven't heard that one yet. I have heard allergic to the sun.
familyschoolcare 07:43 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
That made me literally LOL! Haven't heard that one yet. I have heard allergic to the sun.
My sister is allergic to the sun she gets a rash when she is in direct sinlight for more thatn 1 hour. Sunscreen does not prevent this. Also, yes, this was

doc document. For a long time she could not figure out why everyetime she whent to the beach she got a rash.
MrsB 07:51 AM 02-27-2012
Oh I get that people have allergies all year round. Just this little girl has a specific pollen allergy according to mom. Around here, there's not much pollen right now. Especially since mom has the same bad allergies and asthma to go along with it and it doesnt seem to effect her in any way. Plus, I have a special filter on my heat pump for allergens and mold along with a humidifier/dehumidifier on the heat pump so I can control the humidity in the air. Plus a free standing air cleaner in the play room. Miss J CLEARLY has a cold, not allergies. It just makes me laugh that after 2 years and they know I have been doing this for upteen years, she tried AGAIN to pass off the cold as allergies or teething.

Going to add it to my newsletter AGAIN. Although I dont exclude for allergies, teething, and colds. I do exclude for some of the symptoms associated with allergies, teething, and colds. Fevers, extreme irritability, unable to keep up with the normal daily schedule, or diahrea.
familyschoolcare 08:22 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Oh I get that people have allergies all year round. Just this little girl has a specific pollen allergy according to mom. Around here, there's not much pollen right now. Especially since mom has the same bad allergies and asthma to go along with it and it doesnt seem to effect her in any way. Plus, I have a special filter on my heat pump for allergens and mold along with a humidifier/dehumidifier on the heat pump so I can control the humidity in the air. Plus a free standing air cleaner in the play room. Miss J CLEARLY has a cold, not allergies. It just makes me laugh that after 2 years and they know I have been doing this for upteen years, she tried AGAIN to pass off the cold as allergies or teething.

Going to add it to my newsletter AGAIN. Although I dont exclude for allergies, teething, and colds. I do exclude for some of the symptoms associated with allergies, teething, and colds. Fevers, extreme irritability, unable to keep up with the normal daily schedule, or diahrea.
Knowing everything you do that is funny that they think it is allergies. I often forget that their are parts of the country and world where pollen is not around year round.
PitterPatter 09:27 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
My sister is allergic to the sun she gets a rash when she is in direct sinlight for more thatn 1 hour. Sunscreen does not prevent this. Also, yes, this was

doc document. For a long time she could not figure out why everyetime she whent to the beach she got a rash.
But does it cause cold like symptoms, sneezing, coughing and green nasal discharge? This was the case here. I have never heard of the sun causing cold symptoms. Sorry your Sis is genuinly allergic.
familyschoolcare 10:10 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
But does it cause cold like symptoms, sneezing, coughing and green nasal discharge? This was the case here. I have never heard of the sun causing cold symptoms. Sorry your Sis is genuinly allergic.
No just a rash. Cold symptoms that is funny.
bice99 10:16 AM 02-27-2012
Sometimes I get a rash on my exposed skin. It happens when I go running or work in the yard. Turns out pollen was sticking to my sweat LOL and that's what I was reacting to. It even happened on our honeymoon
Jenniferdawn 10:16 AM 02-27-2012
Yeah, my sister is allergic to the sun too, but just the weird rash, nothing else.
Sunchimes 10:37 AM 02-27-2012
My gp said that green snot didn't indicate an infection, it just meant that it had been in there for a while. This is the same guy who told me that once you get on high blood pressure medication you can never, ever get off of it, not matter how you change your diet, how much you exercise, or how much weight you lose. Not buying the green snot story any more than I bought the hpb story.
Reply Up