Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is There Something Wrong With This Child?
Unregistered 06:24 PM 04-29-2011
I have a dcg, age four. She's been with me since age 2.5. She's nearing the end of her stay because she will be attending a school next year thats out of our pick-up area. She's very intelligent and outgoing, but she's also very bossy, manipulative and a frequent tantrum-thrower.

Today, we were having our last bathroom check of the day. Dcg was bouncing off the walls, running, jumping, yelling despite my requests to stop. She'd stop for a few seconds and go right back to it. She's like this about all rules...it almost seems she thinks she's the queen of the class because she's one of the oldest and has been there so long, so rules dont really apply to her.

About the fifth request for her to stop leaping around the room, I used a stern voice. She started her "You hurt my feelings" routine and wanted me to pick and pet her up. I patted her back and sent her on to the restroom. She cried but still went on....Bolts out about 30 seconds later with her pants still around her ankles...SCREECHING at the top of her lungs, dancing on the spot, flapping her hands and babbling hysterically. Scares the daylights out of me. I looked her over, nothing wrong....I ask her what happened, she just keeps screaming "mama! mama!" and babbling. She's very afraid of insects, so I thought there may have been a bug in the bathroom. No bug. Nothing I can identify is wrong.

When she finally stop shrieking, I made her tell me what was wrong.

"I wanted my mommy". All because she was angry because I wouldn't pet her up after she misbehaved? Is that normal?

Mom was really nonchalant about it, but it put my nerves on edge for the rest of the afternoon.
countrymom 06:34 PM 04-29-2011
we have a thing called the corner, they are more than welcome to yell, scream do whatever in the corner, when they can behave they are allowed to come out. I think you need to start punishing her. You need to beat her to the punch before she does it kwim.
Tags:bossy kids, tantrums
Reply Up