Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Policy
SilverSabre25 07:31 AM 02-13-2014
Is it even possible to write one in such a way that the parents can't lie and weasel their way out of keeping their kid home?

(oh, yeah, he only had diarrhea twice...)
mountainside13 07:37 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Is it even possible to write one in such a way that the parents can't lie and weasel their way out of keeping their kid home?

Maybe adding "if at anytime I feel the child is too ill to continue at daycare they must be picked up" something along those lines, not those exact words Then giving you the opportunity to send home if they aren't feeling the greatest.
craftymissbeth 07:41 AM 02-13-2014
The 24/48 hour rule has worked wonders for me here lately .. once I started to actually enforce it.
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
The 24/48 hour rule has worked wonders for me here lately .. once I started to actually enforce it.
Yep, faced with the possibility of having to stay home for two days, makes the parent really think twice about sending them to care sick so they choose to stay home for one day verses two.

But MissBeth is right, it only works if you enforce it.
MarinaVanessa 08:24 AM 02-13-2014
I agree. Had that issue with my new client. DCG was sick over the weekend and they brought her Monday with no fever. At 3pm her fever returned and I sent her home and reminded them that she had to be be fever free without the aid of medication for 48 hours. I got a text yesterday in the am telling me that her fever went away overnight on Monday night and that she didn't have a fever at all on Tuesday and they wanted to know if they could drop her off yesterday (Wednesday). Nope. I sent her home, she stays home for 48 hours. They weren't happy but that's the rule.
Cat Herder 08:43 AM 02-13-2014
24/48 is what worked for me. And by enforcing 24 hour symptom free without meds.

They all think they are the first to think of dope and drop, medicated bottles, anti-diarrheal meds, anti-fever-meds, teething excuse and the myriad of other common parenting cop-outs.

They all think they are justified since the kid "caught it at daycare", they "need their vacation/sick days", and "can't afford another day off".

What I don't understand is why their choice to become a parent is somehow my responsibility to manage for them. I offer a service, taking care of their sick kid is not generally one of them. Their lack of financial planning is not my concern. I am not their co-parent.

I am a parent, too. I manage just fine without dumping my responsibility on others. That is WHY I opened my own home based business until my kids are on their own. I chose to have kids. ME. It will never make sense to me why others can't come up with their own longterm plans for parenting. Go figure.
jenn 08:52 AM 02-13-2014
I added "If your child is unable to participate in regular daycare activities due to not feeling well, they will be sent home. They may return after 24 hours if they are acting back to normal." to my list of fever, vomit, ... list of exclusions.

This way they don't have to meet any certain criteria to be sent home, it can be based on behavior as well. I got tired of the parents ending their child just because they are not quite sick enough to have to stay home, ("His fever is only 99" or "He only had 1 diaper explosion" or "She says she feels like she is going to vomit, but hasn't."), or me having to keep an obviously ill child just because they weren't quite sick enough to exclude yet.

This way, if they are acting off, they go home. They cannot return for a minimum of 24 hours after being sent home.
Leigh 08:55 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
24/48 is what worked for me. And by enforcing 24 hour symptom free without meds.

They all think they are the first to think of dope and drop, medicated bottles, anti-diarrheal meds, anti-fever-meds, teething excuse and the myriad of other common parenting cop-outs.

They all think they are justified since the kid "caught it at daycare", they "need their vacation/sick days", and "can't afford another day off".

What I don't understand is why their choice to become a parent is somehow my responsibility to manage for them. I offer a service, taking care of their sick kid is not generally one of them. Their lack of financial planning is not my concern. I am not their co-parent.

I am a parent, too. I manage just fine without dumping my responsibility on others. That is WHY I opened my own home based business until my kids are on their own. I chose to have kids. ME. It will never make sense to me why others can't come up with their own longterm plans for parenting. Go figure.
I'm tempted to copy and paste this to the front of my handbook!
SilverSabre25 09:02 AM 02-13-2014
I wish I thought I could swing the 24/48 policy. I have a feeling it would not be popular here. I doubt anyone else has something like that.

I already charge a lot more than most people in my immediate area...
Cat Herder 09:10 AM 02-13-2014
"I wish I thought I could swing the 24/48 policy. I have a feeling it would not be popular here. I doubt anyone else has something like that. "

get out of your way and give it a try. You only have to enforce it once for it to stick.

Don't market it as a punishment. "For the health and safety of YOUR child I have added an updated Illness Policy. The CDC recommends...."
Attached: i-can-do-it.jpg (46.2 KB) 
SilverSabre25 09:13 AM 02-13-2014
"I wish I thought I could swing the 24/48 policy. I have a feeling it would not be popular here. I doubt anyone else has something like that. "

get out of your way and give it a try. You only have to enforce it once for it to stick.
ah, but I'm worried it could be a deal breaker for new families. It's HARD to sign up new clients as it is. I have to be really careful and stand out. We don't' have to be licensed, most people charge peanuts, provide everything under the sun, and operate over capacity. I've lost so many potential clients to cheaper care. Parents here only care about money and convenience.
Cat Herder 09:21 AM 02-13-2014
ah, but I'm worried it could be a deal breaker for new families. It's HARD to sign up new clients as it is. I have to be really careful and stand out. We don't' have to be licensed, most people charge peanuts, provide everything under the sun, and operate over capacity. I've lost so many potential clients to cheaper care. Parents here only care about money and convenience.
Ok.

Then how about setting up a Mild Ill Care room???

It is making a killing out here... Passive supervision (sight and or sound) with monitors. Much like nap rooms.

You will have to decide what you are comfortable working with, but it can be a HUGE niche market.

Then you can keep 24/48 for the main playroom and charge higher rates for the private sick room. WIN WIN.
SunshineMama 11:36 AM 02-13-2014

I put in big, bold letters, "Knowingly violating the illness policy is grounds for immediate termination."

Ugh- sorry you are dealing with that. Diarrhea is the worst.
LadyPearl 12:37 PM 02-13-2014
Dcg4 had diarrhea on Tuesday before nap. She woke up and then left a wonderful mess in my bathroom and didn't say anything. I didn't have time to clean it when I found it because I had to go get my kids from school. Dcd took half hour to get here when he works less than 3 minutes away. I will require pickup at time of first diarrhea incident next time. She "left" it with me and now I'm on day 3 of it and pregnant.....and pissed! I didn't have her today or yesterday and apparently she was fine right off!
spud912 12:51 PM 02-13-2014
Ok.

Then how about setting up a Mild Ill Care room???

It is making a killing out here... Passive supervision (sight and or sound) with monitors. Much like nap rooms.

You will have to decide what you are comfortable working with, but it can be a HUGE niche market.

Then you can keep 24/48 for the main playroom and charge higher rates for the private sick room. WIN WIN.
Even better....hire an assistant just for the Mildly Ill room. If they want special care...they can have it *at a price.*
Cradle2crayons 11:33 PM 02-13-2014
I thought the 24/48 hour thing would be a deal breaker sas well because NOBODY does it here.

However, as I told my parents... As long as they are up front and honest about heir child's illness and don't attempt to be sneaky by sending a knowingly ill child or a child that's medicated to daycare, then they have NOTHING to worry about.

Then they understood why I have the policy.

I only have one parent I really have to use this on because she's a liar related to EVERYTHING. Once she realized I would know if she sent them sick (2 of the 3 kids communicate everything to me and I'm an RN also lol) and hat I was going to enforce he 48 hour rule, she quit trying to be sneaky. Since she doesn't really have backup and she normally only works 3-4 days a week, she realized she may have to miss a whole week of work by being dishonest. Great deterrent, and I'm thankful I have the policy.

While I am more lenient than most here about my illness policy, I also seem to have MUCH less illness than most.

Apparently either I'm just REALLY lucky or I'm doing something right lol.
e.j. 06:46 AM 02-14-2014
I've learned that sending them right back out the door as soon as they arrive and mention a symptom like "just had diarrhea twice" or "only has a temp of 99 but feels okay" or "has a little rash; doesn't look serious".... works really well, too. "Oops, sorry! He can't stay!"

Granted you have to catch it before the parent leaves and they do get really upset when they realize jr won't be allowed to stay and they'll be late getting to work (or not getting there at all) but it only takes on time and they seem to get the message. An additional benefit is that the other parents dropping off at the same time get the message, too!
Tags:24/48, dope and drop, dope; drop, illness policy, infectious teething, mild illness, parental life choices, parental responsibility, sick
Reply Up