Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Some Times Ugh
care-care 07:44 PM 02-20-2011
ok i had family commit to me and I guess there was confusion on price I said between 150-175 a week for 2 part time kids and they brought contract home and were filling it out i highlighted a few areas of imprtance since i wasnt with them while they fillled itout and I wrote in 175 and they called saying they couldnt afford it. to make a long story short they couldnt afford the deposit I require so I waived it and I even said id go down to 162.00 and they called back tonight the night before they r suppose to start and say that they cant do that amount, I quit my other job for this.sighs. how much am I suppose to give away geesh. I feel bad for them but I feel bad for me too. So such is life.
QualiTcare 08:42 PM 02-20-2011
i don't really understand - sorry.

price being "between 150-175" is a little confusing.

i can't begin to respond bc this is vague.
marniewon 09:38 PM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:

I agree. Why the variance in price? You need to pick a price and stick with it. If you went to the grocery store and they told you it would be between 150-175, wouldn't you wonder why it could vary so much? Especially if someone is going to sign a contract, they would want to know how much they are signing for.

What you take depends on how desperate you are. I recently took a family of 2 children, where dcm told me straight up that they could only afford $150/week for the 2 children. (My rate for 2 children is $200/week). Because we are moving soon, and I am not really advertising, I took this price. Turns out to be a great family! The kids are great, the parents are great. For that, I would take less pay.

But you really need to pick a price and let that be your price. Don't be afraid to lower it if you think the family would be a good fit for you, but don't be so vague about the price at the beginning.
Little People 03:40 AM 02-21-2011
If you quote a parent 150.00-175.00 you are setting yourself up. The parents will always think the lower amount. In my handbook I state *** for up to 45 hours, if you need more than 45 hours then the rate is based on your hours.

I just had a interview and they have a 2 week old baby and they would need 10.5 hours each day. I told them the fee for the hours they needed and mom said well I can pick up on Fridays at 3...uhhh NO he would still be here 8 hours on Fridays. Then the red flag went up as dad says "If I run into traffic I could be later than 5:30 (Now I told them 2 times I close at 5:30). I told them to call me in 4 weeks to see if I had an opening. At this moment I don't.
Dad works 20 minutes from here..lol

My advice is STICK to your policies and get your prices down and this way you are not giving a parent choices KWIM?
Cat Herder 03:45 AM 02-21-2011
I am assuming you quoted a price variance dependant on the hours and days of care required as they were unsure during the interview?

I am also assuming they are now trying to bargain for the highest number of hours for the least amount of money?

Your price should not be debatable, if you don't respect your contract, why should they??

IMHO, Do not continue to counter-offer...this is already doomed to failure. Get a solid contract and advertise for another client. You have lost this round.
Unregistered 05:34 AM 02-21-2011
Ok thanks ya.. I guess I did it to my self. I guess I didnt tell you that my price through my policy would of been 250 a week. thats why when we talked i said between 150 175. which i see now is a problem. Shame on me. Oh well such is life you win some you lose some
Kaddidle Care 05:45 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Your price should not be debatable, if you don't respect your contract, why should they??

IMHO, Do not continue to counter-offer...this is already doomed to failure. Get a solid contract and advertise for another client. You have lost this round.
I agree with this. They are already telling you they are stretching it financially. I'm betting you get stiffed by these parents somewhere down the line because they "can't afford it".

Paying for childcare is somewhere near the bottom of the priority list for many from what I've seen. If they can get away with free child care they will. I would advise getting paid in advance.
care-care 05:56 AM 02-21-2011
ya i told them that pay on monday before care begins. I am thinking they just didint have the money to start today so I will hold my price i ended at 162. down from 250 origanally and if they call back then decide then. i told them part time care is hard to find. expecialy in middle of the day takin 2 spots up for full timers. I know i should of listened to my hubby and not negosiated at all
care-care 06:00 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:

Sorry I hadnt even interviewed them yet and was trying to get a fair price for both of us I can see that everyone always wants the cheaper price I would too!
Tags:bad economy, rate decrease
Reply Up