Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Wear During The Summer Months?
melilley 10:58 AM 05-07-2013
This may seem like a silly question, but what do you wear in the summer during the hours that you are open and caring for children?

I just opened my home childcare. I have worked in centers for the last 14 years where we had to wear black or khaki pants and the corporate polo. We could wear shorts, but they had to be down to your knees.
Do you wear shorts or any kind of tank top type shirts?

I just went shopping and bought some tank tops (as I wear spaghetti type tanks, not in front of parents as I am not comfortable in doing so) that have a thicker strap and most of them I can layer. I also have some shorts, but they are not knee length, but also aren't daisy dukes either...lol

Personally, I like to look somewhat professional (I am just like that-I can't go to the store without wearing make-up and am not comfortable wearing yoga type pants in public, just a personal preference and I'm not putting anyone down for doing so as many of my friends do). I have been wearing jeans and a nice sweater or shirt, but I'm not sure what to wear this summer.
I am just curious on what you wear during the summer.
MissAnn 11:01 AM 05-07-2013
Scrub shirt and long shorts. Have to have the pockets!
JoseyJo 11:06 AM 05-07-2013
Scrub tops and shorts here too! Scrubs gap at the top on me when I bend down so I where either a tank top under, or if really hot I where a dickie (my mom made them for me, they are light cotton and attach to my bra straps on the sides and flip under my bra on the bottom so my chest is covered but with minimal material) They are great!
Patches 11:07 AM 05-07-2013
Capris or long shorts and t-shirt, tank top, or scrub top. I try not to wear scrub tops during the summer because they are hot
daycarediva 11:09 AM 05-07-2013
I usually do my hair in a braid, bun or ponytail (I have LOTS of hair). I wear mesh lacrosse style shorts (mid thigh length) and wide strap tank tops mainly, with sneakers. I have had several parents tell me I look like a gym teacher . Still professional-ish, my parents understand we are outside, busy and active in nice weather.
MamaBearCanada 11:13 AM 05-07-2013
Capris & wide strap tank tops or sleeveless tops.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:24 AM 05-07-2013
Capris, polo shirt, t shirt, or blouse depending on what we are doing that day.
Evansmom 11:27 AM 05-07-2013
I wear a cotton skirt, capris or long Bermuda type shorts with a blouse or nice t-shirt in good repair (not ratty or old) I try to do my hair and makeup each morning but sometimes I only get time to do my hair.

When we swim I wear my bathing suit and if I'm out of the water I wear a shirt and/or shorts over it. My bathing suit is a 50's style one piece so very modestly cut.

I get all my work clothes at the thrift store tho so I don't mess up anything that was costly. I do get messy with paint, sand, etc.
jenn 11:32 AM 05-07-2013
Jean Capris, nice t shirts, flip flops outside/barefoot inside
bubbiesmama807 11:33 AM 05-07-2013
I'm usually in jeans or long, hippie-ish dresses and skirts, and I wear tank tops and t-shirts (nothing revealing). I'm not really a shorts person and capri pants make me look weird IMHO
LK5kids 12:30 PM 05-07-2013
Capri pants, longer shorts, nicer t's/ tops.
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Capris & wide strap tank tops or sleeveless tops.
Same here.

I wear what I would wear any other day.

I do try to avoid shorter shorts because the kids all seem to be the right height to slip their hand up my shorts and I hate that!

Comfy, clean and easy to move in clothes are a must.
mema 12:38 PM 05-07-2013
Capris, sleeveless shirts, t-shirts, and SANDALS. Sorry, so glad to put the snowboots away (and I refuse to pull them back out before December this year).
AmyKidsCo 12:39 PM 05-07-2013
The least amount of clothing I wear is be mid-thigh shorts and sleeveless tops. Since I'm in-home I wear flip-flops or go barefoot. The children are allowed to wear flip-flops too, or to go barefoot if their parents allow it.
wdmmom 12:44 PM 05-07-2013
I am very self conscious because I have psoriasis on my knees and elbows. I don't mind wearing short sleeve shirts but shorts are very seldom. More of a weekend/after hours kind of thing.

I'm usually in capris with a collared shirt.
MsMimi 02:22 PM 05-07-2013
My day to day outfits consist of capri's, yoga pants and crew neck t-shirt's. I have a few knee-length or longer skirts and a couple of modest blouses and I'll wear a sundress on occasion, but I always wear a tank under (for accidental cleavage coverage) and have a sweater/wrap on stand-by. I'm pretty large on top so my options are somewhat limited. It gets to be upwards of 110 here and I would SO love to wear thick-strapped tanks, but anything cut lower than my clavicle shows cleavage
youretooloud 02:44 PM 05-07-2013
As little as possible.

Shorts and a tank top. Or a lightweight sun dress.
countrymom 02:59 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
I wear a cotton skirt, capris or long Bermuda type shorts with a blouse or nice t-shirt in good repair (not ratty or old) I try to do my hair and makeup each morning but sometimes I only get time to do my hair.

When we swim I wear my bathing suit and if I'm out of the water I wear a shirt and/or shorts over it. My bathing suit is a 50's style one piece so very modestly cut.

I get all my work clothes at the thrift store tho so I don't mess up anything that was costly. I do get messy with paint, sand, etc.
thats how I dress except I wear no make up. My bathing suit has a dress style on it.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:36 PM 05-07-2013
Usually a skirt and a tank top (dressier-style knit with wide straps) or nice t-shirt. Even easier is a comfy dress; I'm just starting to collect more of these. Nice earrings to dress it up. Hair UP (I can't stand the heat) and bare feet. Most of my clothes are from thrift stores, with some additions from Old Navy or Target--so nothing too precious to get dirty (and we do get dirty!). My main requirements are that I can sit on the ground with a kid on my lap comfortably, that I don't flash everyone when I move, and that the fabric is comfortable and not too hot. My goal is to look pulled-together and professional while staying cool (did I mention that I don't like the heat?). :-)
Cradle2crayons 06:14 PM 05-07-2013
T shirt or tank top and either running shorts or regular shorts... And flip flops or barefoot lol
blandino 06:57 PM 05-07-2013
Usually a pair of yoga pants and a t-shirt and flip-flops. Or a dress, usually a maxi dress so I don't have to watch my every move.

I wear a dress style cover up over my swimsuit.
Tags:clothing, leggings, leggings are not pants, professional attire, professional image
Reply Up