Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging
mindy2137 06:40 AM 01-20-2010
Some of you may know that I run a home daycare. I have appx 7 to 8 kiddos a day, but that fluctuates depending on if the mom or dad has off, etc.

Right now I babysit for one family that has a just turned 3 yr old and a 19 month old. Back in August, the mom of that family told me she was surprisingly pregnant and asked me to told a spot for her baby due in April. We talked about it and the baby has to be 8 weeks old to join my daycare so the starting date would be approximately the first of June depending on when the baby is born. That's fine.

The mom is taking maternity from the first of April til the first of June. And she doesn't want or need daycare for her other two during that maternity time. I really did figure she would still send them at least part time because of having a newborn and taking care of two others, but whatever.

She pays me $185 a week now for two kids, which for my area, that is the going rate. My question is during that maternity time what do you think would be fair to charge her? The kids aren't coming, but I'm holding a spot for her two and the newborn.

The next part is this. When the kiddos come back in June, it will only be three days one week and two days the next. Every week, like that. So, it won't be a full time basis, which I'm fine with because I'm having a baby in July and taking maternity time.

What would you think would be the fair and yet the best way for me to charge them? It wouldn't be full time because the days not on our contract I won't watch them. It's not a five day a week thing. And they are good people and won't push that. I've been caring for there children for almost a year now. I don't think I should just charge them by the day though because I'm holding a spot for them. But I don't want to charge full time, which would be $285 because then I would feel like they would have the right to bring them full time, 5 days a week. I'm thinking I need a happy medium. Something more then by the day, but yet not a full time price.

Any thoughts?
mac60 12:38 PM 01-20-2010
For the time being off during maternity leave.....my policy is holding the spot for half rate, and they can bring the child for 2 days if they were 4 to 5 days per week, 1 day per week if they were 2 to 3 days per week.

I would come up with a weekly rate for 2 days and 3 days.....make sure you have a schedule for each week. Charge whether they are there or not. That way you will at least be guaranteed 2 or 3 days per week. For the 3rd child, I woul charge the full rate for a part time child.

Example......1 child 3 days per week: $75
Second child 3 days per week: $50
Third child 3 days per week: $75

I don't see how parents can expect us to give sibling discounts on the 3rd and 4th children.....we are losing our butt that way.
gbcc 01:49 PM 01-20-2010
My parents pay me full rate to hold the spot. Honestly this is my business and way to support my son so just because they have a baby isn't a reason for me to give up on or cut my expenses. I have teachers children and have never had any of them complain about this policy. If they like you enough and don't want to change daycares they will pay it. If you are desperate to have them back I would not go any less than half price.

As far as the part time. I charge for the spot, not the day so I don't do part time payments. If you really want to compromise though. I would take what you charge for 3 days plus what you charge for 2 days and divide it by 2 so that it is an average of the 2 wks. Have them pay that same amount every week.
momma2girls 03:06 PM 01-20-2010
What I do during the summer, is a 2 week deposit. If someone would like me to hold a spot for their baby nonborn- I am going to be charging one week/per month. I used to only do only a 2 week deposit, which sometimes would be for 7-8 months! It is not worth it any longer, just think what I could be getting off that 7-8 months, far more than 2 weeks!!! $140.00 week x 7-8 months= $3900-$4480 I have lost out on!! That is alot of money!!!!
What do other ones do for holding for months?????
mac60 06:19 PM 01-20-2010
What I do, and what I would like to do, is 2 different things. I agree, holding spots is a big loss for us.
momma2girls 05:22 AM 01-21-2010
What do others out there do for holding spots? It's very interesting to see what everyone else does?
Thanks!
Unregistered 07:03 AM 01-21-2010
I don't hold spots, if they want it they pay for it as soon as its requested or they can wait till they need it and hope that the spot hasnt been filled. I dont think its fair to take 1/2 rate fees to hold a spot nor do i give sibling discounts, you give each child the same kind of care so why get paid for less for one or more? You run a business not a charity and if the parents cant afford daycare for all their kids they shouldnt have more..
KiddieCare
mindy2137 11:36 AM 01-21-2010
I've never had to hold a spot for anyone. So holding a spot for 2 months with no pay I'm can't do it.
I'm thinking of charging her part time during that 2 month period, which I charge $60 a week per child part time.
Typically I charge $100 a week full-time and because they have two in their family, I give it to them at $185. They will not be receiving the sibling discount for part-time.

I've still got to decide on what to charge when they return. I could do a rate based on 3 day weeks, but then I feel like they will want to have that right to bring them that 3rd day and I'm having a baby myself, I'm really looking forward to just the 2 day one week!

Another thing I do. I allow the parents to use 2 weeks worth of vacation from me a year. They are required to give me a 2 week notice and they can take vacation from paying me (when they are on vacation or the kiddos don't come of course!). So, I had a mom take a 2 week vacation this summer from work, and she was also able to use the 2 week vacation from me. I just thought it would be nice of me.

Over christmas, the contract with one of my teachers said, she only owed me $100 holding fee for the two weeks they were off for the holidays. And she took that and just paid me $100 to hold her spot while I didn't watch the kids over the holiday break. Which trust, me what was a bargain to me

Over the summer, I would have charged her $100 to hold the spot then too, but the kids are going to another daycare! So, that's fine by me!
momma2girls 11:50 AM 01-21-2010
Originally Posted by mindy2137:
I've never had to hold a spot for anyone. So holding a spot for 2 months with no pay I'm can't do it.
I'm thinking of charging her part time during that 2 month period, which I charge $60 a week per child part time.
Typically I charge $100 a week full-time and because they have two in their family, I give it to them at $185. They will not be receiving the sibling discount for part-time.

I've still got to decide on what to charge when they return. I could do a rate based on 3 day weeks, but then I feel like they will want to have that right to bring them that 3rd day and I'm having a baby myself, I'm really looking forward to just the 2 day one week!

Another thing I do. I allow the parents to use 2 weeks worth of vacation from me a year. They are required to give me a 2 week notice and they can take vacation from paying me (when they are on vacation or the kiddos don't come of course!). So, I had a mom take a 2 week vacation this summer from work, and she was also able to use the 2 week vacation from me. I just thought it would be nice of me.

Over christmas, the contract with one of my teachers said, she only owed me $100 holding fee for the two weeks they were off for the holidays. And she took that and just paid me $100 to hold her spot while I didn't watch the kids over the holiday break. Which trust, me what was a bargain to me

Over the summer, I would have charged her $100 to hold the spot then too, but the kids are going to another daycare! So, that's fine by me!
I can't believe that a teacher would look at it that way to hold a spot over Xmas break- It means for summer only. maybe you can write that in your contract somewhere. I know I have it in mine that way>
Carole's Daycare 06:28 AM 01-26-2010
I rarely take part time, but when I do its for a set number of days, and I don't give huge discounts below the daily rate for those days, since I'm already giving up full time profit to let them have a part time space. My 1 part timer here has a 3 day a week minimum, so pays $150 in advance every two weeks. The last mom I had take maternity leave I did charge $100 to hold the baby spot, and since the older sibling was full time, $50 week to hold hers. I did allow, and encourage her to use those 2 days per week to keep the older child on track, give mom days she could schedule appts or get a break, and make our transition back to full time daycare easier. I do give a $10 second child in family discount, but not for 3rd , and I especially wouldnt since that family is using 2 of your under 2 spots- the absolute easiest and most profitable to fill full time.
Chickenhauler 07:23 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't hold spots, if they want it they pay for it as soon as its requested or they can wait till they need it and hope that the spot hasnt been filled. I dont think its fair to take 1/2 rate fees to hold a spot nor do i give sibling discounts, you give each child the same kind of care so why get paid for less for one or more? You run a business not a charity and if the parents cant afford daycare for all their kids they shouldnt have more..
KiddieCare
On the flip side, if you can get half pay for doing nothing, take what you can.

Stop and think about it in this scenario.....half rate for two kids would be equal to that of the rate for one kid, and when they return it will be three kids revenue. For three months, you would get paid the rate of one child while having to do NOTHING, then upon return, you would have the revenue from three kids in care. You would have to balance it out and assess the feasibility of whether or not in that time period, could you fill those three slots realistically? Especially in today's jobless environment?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find another line of work where you get that kind of deal (outside of gov't that is).
Carole's Daycare 07:38 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
On the flip side, if you can get half pay for doing nothing, take what you can.

Stop and think about it in this scenario.....half rate for two kids would be equal to that of the rate for one kid, and when they return it will be three kids revenue. For three months, you would get paid the rate of one child while having to do NOTHING, then upon return, you would have the revenue from three kids in care. You would have to balance it out and assess the feasibility of whether or not in that time period, could you fill those three slots realistically? Especially in today's jobless environment?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find another line of work where you get that kind of deal (outside of gov't that is).
You are right lol. And you crack me up!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:19 AM 01-26-2010
I give them one week free per year, anything more is 1/2 rate. and I dont give sib discounts. I mean,.. which one do you want me to give discounted care?
MarinaVanessa 09:56 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Honestly this is my business and way to support my son
I have to agree 100%. I see my home-based daycare as my business first. It is my way of supporting my family. I offer a service and I charge what I think my services are worth. I have contracts for full-time and part-time that I define as FULL-TIME When child care is needed on a regular basis and up to 45 hours a week. When child care is needed on a regular basis and up to 30 hours a week this is considered PART-TIME care. I also have a different rate for toilet trained children than I do for children that are not. I do it this way because this is what works for me. Families pay a weekly fee REGARDLESS of whether they bring their children or not. I do, however have an extended leave clause that reads

" In circumstances of your potential absence due to maternity leave, child’s school vacations and/or school breaks, leave from your job or any other extended leave of more than two weeks, a minimum of four weeks notice must be given. Half of the weekly rate must be paid in advance of the extended absence for the duration of your child’s leave to hold your child’s slot. When the child returns the regular rate will apply."

I do this because it is unfair that I have to keep a slot open for a child AND not get paid AND can't take on another child. I loose money this way and this is a bad business practice. It is simply not smart. Again, this method works for me and I have never had any complaints from any family. Do what makes you feel comfortable and what you think is fair.
Tags:charging, maternity, rates
Reply Up