Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fingers Crossed
busymommy0420 10:38 AM 12-19-2011
I have been looking everywhere for a ballet class for my 2 year old daughters. I found one and it is Tuesday's from 10am-10:45am, 2 mins away. It is for 2-3 year olds so I e-mailed my daycare parents today and told them I would like to enroll my daughters and asked if they would like to enroll their children and they could all do the class together. I hope they will put their kids in the class with my girls (I will drive, get them ready, take pictures and stay right there). If they won't I will not enroll my girls so the daycare kids do not feel bad sitting and watching. I hope the parents go for it!
countrymom 10:41 AM 12-19-2011
I know I have parents who would jump at the chance. I hope they all sign up, what a great thing it would be for the kids.
Kaddidle Care 10:48 AM 12-19-2011
Please don't push it. 2 is very young to start Ballet. I didn't start until age 6 and continued to take it for about 25 years.

My Teacher did finally start taking younger children to keep up with the competition but from what I saw at recital time, while the 3 year olds look adorable, they pretty much stand on stage and wave.

Are you allowed to view a starter/trial class to see how they do? Make sure they spend at least 15-20 minutes in just a warm up routine. I just can't see a 2 year old sticking with something like this longer than 30 minutes. And that's only if you have children that have tremendous attention spans.

Now if it's a "Move and Listen" type class to Ballet music, that's another story.
MarinaVanessa 10:57 AM 12-19-2011
That's great! Hopefully they'll go for it. My DD wanted to sign up for gymnastics and it was just down the street at a youth center right at the park where the DC kids and I all go and the parents were all so great.

No one took me up on the idea of enrolling their kids in gymnastics but it was nice being able to drop off my DD and wait outside at the playground with the DC kids. They got to play at the playground or sometimes wanted to watch the class, then the parents that picked up during that time on those days would go to the park to pick their children up.

It was a great arrangement. I had better luck with them signing up their kids for swimming classes with my DD in the summer so hopfully you parents will see what a great opportunity it is and take you up on it.
busymommy0420 11:04 AM 12-19-2011
Kaddidle Care Thanks for your concern, I would never push it on my daughters. They love dance and I have been teaching them at home so I wanted to see how they would do in a class. My pediatrician suggested getting my daughter out more in a social setting because they are so attached to me and do not sttend pre-school or daycare. I will be in class with them to ease their anxiety but also to help them learn. We did gymnastics since they turned one and now want to do this and try it out. My girls can be whatever they want to be, and I will love whatever they decide.
daycare 11:09 AM 12-19-2011
ditto this....let it be a fun experience for them, but 2 is very young to take such an instructional class.....

I hope that it all works out for you...
melissa ann 11:47 AM 12-19-2011
My daughter, 7, takes ballet. She started last year. This year, the class right before hers is 3-4 yrs old. There is a curtain seperating the waiting room and dance room. You can hear the dance instructor, she spends more time telling the girls to stop touching each other, or to get up off of the floor and stand up,etc. I think 5 or 6 would be a good age to start. JMO.
Michelle 12:02 PM 12-19-2011
I think 2 is a good age to start . This will keep her flexible, teach her rhythm,
and have fun.

I would sign her up and not worry if the other kids feel left out.
I know that sounds mean but I spent years with this kind of thinking and I missed out on so many of my kids activities. My dh went while I stayed home with the daycare.

That changed a few years ago when I couldn't even get away to have my sons senior picture taken, and he ended up not in his yearbook!

My dck's have been to every concert,half time show and parade that my kids were in. They loved it and I got to be there for my kids.

If the parents won't enroll them just, bring some color wonders, little toys or something for them to do.
busymommy0420 11:32 AM 12-29-2011
The parents were so grateful for me offering to do this. We are all going starting in January. My two year old daughters and two DCK's ages 2 and 3 will be in the same class. My other DCK who is 4 comes to care after class ends. I spoke to the instructor and she said it is more a class on gross motor, stretching and following simple steps and was so nice on the phone. I asked if I could stay in the room and help and she was thrilled at my offer and said YES. I am glad to offer this for my daycare and the parents are excited. The 3 year old received a leotard and tu tu for Christmas from Santa.
erinalexmom 05:02 PM 12-29-2011
Awsome! As a parent I would be thrilled for my provider to do things like this for my kids! I want to be like Michelle and take the daycare kids to everything. We'll see how it goes!
Abigail 08:53 PM 12-29-2011
I would enroll children around age 2 and 3 for children's activities like that. I've taken kids at age 18 months-2 years to gymnastics and they learn to "wait" for one on one time on the trampoline before group trampoline time and they get to run and jump into a foam pit and balance on huge foam beams and walk up slanted bars. The instructors at places like that are great with kids and are used to almost anything.

I agree that any of those young children's classes will be geared towards gross motor and listening skills, but their is no harm. Now if you wanted to enroll all your kids in a beauty contest and make them look like teenagers I would be totally against that! I can't stand the shows like Toddlers in Tiaras....that kind of stuff happens because it's the parents who have the drive and not the poor children.

Good luck with your ballet classes, sounds fun!
busymommy0420 10:07 AM 01-10-2012
Today was our first class. My daughters (age 2) did great, they followed directions, sang and followed the steps. I was so proud of them. DCG who is 3 did great too and even helped the teacher. DCG who is 2.5 did not do well, her MOM came for the first class and she could not focus AT ALL! She did not follow one direction, whined and her Mom had to remove her from the class. I was so embarrassed for the Mom, who asked me to help her many times during the class. (Which I did) I suggested she not come next week as I have a feeling her daughter will resume the good behavior I see daily. I am glad I signed them up and am so proud of my daughters especially my Jazzy because she just turned two and has special needs but did so well and LOVED with along with Princess.
Tags:ballet, dance
Reply Up