Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many CE Hours Do You Need A Year?
CedarCreek 07:39 AM 03-23-2013
Here in Texas we need 30 continuing education hours a year.

How many in your state?

Any good resources for getting hours?
MNMum 07:43 AM 03-23-2013
Right now in MN it is 8. There is legislation in place to make it 16.
CedarCreek 07:45 AM 03-23-2013
I wanna move! This being my first year, 30 seems really high to me.

When I was in another field, I only had to have 6. One weekend in San Antonio and bam,done.
melilley 07:53 AM 03-23-2013
Wow! 30 is a lot! We only need 10. You could look at your local CC&R (I think that's right), there is www.childcarelounge.com, childcareclassroom.com, just to name a few. Just make sure your state accepts credits/hours from them! Also if you are on the food program you can get 2 hours per year I think.
Texasjeepgirl 08:00 AM 03-23-2013
I'm also in TEXAS... New requirement is 30..
HOWEVER..
Because I am also a TEXAS RISING STAR provider through WORKFORCE TEXOMA..I am required to have 36...
I currently have 35...and two more months till my anniversary date.. so I'm almost there!!! Then I get to start over...

jenn 08:02 AM 03-23-2013
Kansas has 15 to start up, then 5 per year.
blandino 09:08 AM 03-23-2013
I think OK says 15 or 18. How bad is that that I can't remember ?!?
LK5kids 11:52 AM 03-23-2013
15 used to be more I think.
Patches 11:59 AM 03-23-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I think OK says 15 or 18. How bad is that that I can't remember ?!?
I can't remember either, and I thought it was 12. Although when I worked in centers, I had to get 20 - 25 each year, but I think that was just the center's rule.

It also depends on if you're small or large and star level so mine is probably less than yours (I think)
mema 12:33 PM 03-23-2013
It's 8 here, but I usually have 15-20 every year.
CedarCreek 02:03 PM 03-23-2013
I wonder why Texas is so much higher than everyone else..

I got 2 hours from the food program today, 3 from a training a couple of months ago. That's it.

I'm slacking..
juliebug 05:16 PM 03-23-2013
12 hours here. I know we have new laws just passed and i haven't checked them yet. I get lots of hours from my food program, an online thur our collage offers free classes for ce
MyAngels 05:46 PM 03-23-2013
I think Illinois is either 15 or 20. I always end up with more so I'm not sure.

Care courses has good options.
Springdaze 04:52 AM 03-25-2013
in NJ its 20 for 3 years. not much compared to others. I did them all in one shot on care courses last month+
snbauser 05:45 AM 03-25-2013
Here it starts at 20 and then goes down based on your education level and how many years you have been licensed. I think I am at 10 right now.
sunlight 05:51 AM 03-25-2013
In Oregon it's 8 hours every two years if you are Registered. If you are Certified I believe it is 16 every year. For the last 4 years I have been using Care Courses which is an online program. They are great! They have CE hours for in home and for Center care. I prefer doing my hours online because I can focus on the material when it is convenient for me. Here is a link if anyone is interested:
http://www.carecourses.com/publicpages/CDARenewal.aspx
itlw8 05:52 AM 03-25-2013
Missouri is 12 and one person needs cpr an first aid. but those count as hours also every 2 years

Care courses are great I have been having trouble finding classes that are new. I learned alot from the care courses. I got the one with the book so I could keep it and took the test on line.
Evansmom 06:22 AM 03-25-2013
Sorry-not trying to change the topic but just wondering if anyone knows can I take small online courses and get certificates for things if I don't have a CDA? I'm trying to beef up my paper trail of experience. KWIM?
CedarCreek 06:27 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by sunlight:
In Oregon it's 8 hours every two years if you are Registered. If you are Certified I believe it is 16 every year. For the last 4 years I have been using Care Courses which is an online program. They are great! They have CE hours for in home and for Center care. I prefer doing my hours online because I can focus on the material when it is convenient for me. Here is a link if anyone is interested:
http://www.carecourses.com/publicpages/CDARenewal.aspx
Thanks for the link!
renodeb 06:38 AM 03-25-2013
Im in Nevada and its 15 hrs a year.I think 2 of those hours a year have to be from taking a nutrition class, happily my food program training covers that every year. Very doable. I have used childcarelounge before. 30 seems like a lot. I guess every thing is bigger in Texas!
Deb
Meeko 09:10 AM 03-25-2013
In Utah, we must have 20 hours per licensing year. Ten must be face to face, classroom hours and 10 can be reading approved books, watching a video etc. or CCRR has a "fill in the blanks" workbook that counts as five hours.

Most of our face to face classes are complete crap here, taught by people who have never worked a day in childcare in their lives. And you have to PAY for the honor of being bored to death.

So we get our 10 hours in with the licensing dept's rules training lady. The subject matter never changes much, but the teacher is a sweetheart and keeps us awake with her great personality. And it's free!

I got so sick of classes that teach me how to diaper a baby and to tell me it's important to talk to the kids...no duh....

Either that, or I have to enroll in "real" school and as I am looking to retire in the next 10 years, I have no intention of spending that much money or that much time away from my family. My girls will be grown up and gone in a few years. I want to spend as much time with them as possible. My 18 year old will be leaving when she turns 19 to serve a mission for our church and then on to school when she gets back. She will be gone 18 months. I am savoring every second with her!

So I do as little classroom work as humanly possible!
Springdaze 09:37 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Most of our face to face classes are complete crap here, taught by people who have never worked a day in childcare in their lives. And you have to PAY for the honor of being bored to death.
I hear this!!!!!
Bookworm 03:10 PM 03-25-2013
In SC, it's 15 hours. Fortunately for me , the center pays for the classes.
Sunshine74 10:35 PM 03-25-2013
For centers in NY, we have to have 30 every two years- it doesn't matter how you split it up. Except if the center or the employee is new, then it is 15 hours in the first 6 months. And the next 15 in the next year an a half.
Chuckles 09:36 PM 03-27-2013
This link lists the approved director credentialing trainers, however, many of the trainers offer additional training that could be useful to Texas providers, but possibly others.

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Ca...dentialing.asp
AmyKidsCo 07:16 AM 03-28-2013
In WI family providers need 15; group teachers need 25 (I think). I always get way more than I need because I'm addicted to learning, LOL!

I go to our statewide conference every year, and our local NAEYC affiliate has a day-long conference every year (that I'm chairperson of). The affiliate also offers CE at most of the monthly meetings, and I'm a member of a family child care support group that has monthly CE. And I also do online webinars. (Told you I was addicted to learning!)
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:54 AM 03-28-2013
Ohio 12 the first year 6 after that and you must have CPR first aid and communicable disease but they don't count as hours.
MarinaVanessa 01:08 PM 03-28-2013
I'm in CA and we don't need any.

I do about 150 a year in a combination of CCIP, child care association workshops, distance learning and college classes.
WImom 04:46 PM 03-28-2013
AmyKids Co. - is it 15 per calendar year or license anniversary? Trying to figure out if I have enough or not so it will depend on which "per year" they mean.
Lavender 04:57 PM 03-28-2013
30 every 2 years with 15 completed in the first 6 months. I've done much more, however.
AmyKidsCo 08:40 PM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by WImom:
AmyKids Co. - is it 15 per calendar year or license anniversary? Trying to figure out if I have enough or not so it will depend on which "per year" they mean.
I didn't know so I looked it up in the Licensing Manual.

It says: "The calendar year January to December is considered a continuing education year.
The requirement for 15 hours of continuing education each year does not become effective until the regular license is issued. However, continuing education taken during the probationary period may be counted towards the first year's requirement. Attendance at meetings such as support group
meetings may be counted as continuing education if the meeting is related to training on a topic related to caring for children or operating a business. Only that portion of the meeting devoted to the training topic may be counted."
WImom 11:35 AM 03-29-2013
Thanks!! I'm good then.
Tags:certification, hours, texas - regulations
Reply Up