Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Texas
Silly Songs 01:37 PM 08-28-2017
Please keep Texas in your thoughts and prayers.
Blackcat31 01:46 PM 08-28-2017
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Please keep Texas in your thoughts and prayers.
Sending prayers and thoughts for safety, healing and comfort! I wish there was more we could do to help!

Are YOU okay?
midaycare 01:55 PM 08-28-2017
Sounds awful down there Thoughts and prayers
Ariana 03:32 PM 08-28-2017
My husbands cousin lives in The Woodlands and so far the neighbourhood area is flooded but it has not hit their house. They managed to get lucky the last flood as well.

We are keeping everyone in our prayers and keeping an eye on the situation. I am not sure why but it seems to always affect the poorer communities the worst . Or maybe the media just slants it that way.

Have you been affected at all?
Mom2Two 04:38 PM 08-28-2017
It was so hard to watch and hard to take in how awful it was. Just tragic and devastating. Will be donating.
Kimskiddos 08:08 PM 08-28-2017
Harvey truly has been a nightmare! I live in Austin and we just got the outer bands of this storm, we had just over 8 inches of rain at home in about a 24 hour period. We are wet but OK. Then you start heading just east of here and it just goes to sh&#! So much flooding and devastation.

My daughter just moved to Houston at the end of May and that has been the hardest part! Her brand new restaurant is under water. She is stuck in her townhouse and hopefully continues to stay mostly flood free, she lives very near down town. She has been very lucky in that regard so far. But it is still raining buckets so her place will very likely flood soon because there is water EVERYWHERE and it just keeps raining. I wish she was here instead.

One of the island towns (Port Aranasas) is one of my favorite places on earth and it took an almost direct hit. It has been destroyed, so hard to see all those familiar, fun, bright, happy buildings torn apart and tossed around. We have plans to go there the 3rd week of Sept for our annual anniversary trip. I hope we can still go just to spend some money and help support some of these folks, fingers crossed.

I can't seem to stop watching the weather channel and that just makes me sad. I get a pit in my stomach whenever my phone goes off. I am just so sad for all those people. I have many friends and family that have been affected by this storm and it is going to take a long time to fix. So yes, please pray for Texas!
amberrose3dg 03:56 AM 08-29-2017
It is horrible. I have a close friend that lives down there. She is still trapped in her condo. Lucky for her she lives on the third floor so she did not get flooded out. I have donated to the red cross. If anyone knows of other organizations that are helping out Texas let me know.
Rockgirl 05:58 AM 08-29-2017
It's not over. 20 or so inches of rain still expected.
Silly Songs 07:10 AM 08-29-2017
I am safe and dry for now. My heart breaks for everyone. I'm gust washing sheets to donate, if I can even get them to a shelter. So many people are out helping others. It's great to see all the love.
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
I am safe and dry for now. My heart breaks for everyone. I'm gust washing sheets to donate, if I can even get them to a shelter. So many people are out helping others. It's great to see all the love.
Are you close to the center of it all?

I wish I had a connection down there...I'd love to gather up supplies and stuff and send them to those in need!

I can't imagine all the children scared and unsure of what will happen next. They look up to their parents and caregivers to make them feel safe and I am sure there are so many parents and caregivers trying hard to hide their own fear of uncertainty....

I imagine basics are needed...formula, baby foods, blankets, diapers and dry clothing etc.

I feel so helpless when something like this happens and there is only so much you can do but so much you want to do.
Controlled Chaos 08:20 AM 08-29-2017
Medically complex and fragile children are exceptionally vulnerable during a natural disaster. This is a group that collects supplies and funds to support children in danger.

http://www.littlelobbyists.org/posts-2/
Josiegirl 09:41 AM 08-29-2017
So devastating Heart-breaking reading about it all. Thank you for the link.
MarinaVanessa 11:21 AM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are you close to the center of it all?

I wish I had a connection down there...I'd love to gather up supplies and stuff and send them to those in need!

I can't imagine all the children scared and unsure of what will happen next. They look up to their parents and caregivers to make them feel safe and I am sure there are so many parents and caregivers trying hard to hide their own fear of uncertainty....

I imagine basics are needed...formula, baby foods, blankets, diapers and dry clothing etc.

I feel so helpless when something like this happens and there is only so much you can do but so much you want to do.
They are in need of diapers since they are not provided by disaster relief agencies. People can donate to the texasdiaperbank.org either by sending money or sending diapers. People can buy them from Amazon and have them sent to the address, I did.
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
They are in need of diapers since they are not provided by disaster relief agencies. People can donate to the texasdiaperbank.org either by sending money or sending diapers. People can buy them from Amazon and have them sent to the address, I did.
Thank you! Will be sending diapers too!

I also have a local provider group that wants to help as well so I will share this info with them!

Thank you MV!
Baby Beluga 09:39 PM 08-29-2017
Donated diapers as well! Super easy to ship through Amazon.
cowen 11:14 PM 08-29-2017
Sending more vibes to them. I believe Texans are tough people.
Silly Songs 11:34 AM 08-30-2017
There had been a huge response locally to all the needs of everyone. Churches are overwhelmed with volunteers and supplies. Certain supplies are still needed. Clothing in certain sizes, new underwear and socks and baby food, formula and diapers. Those are the requests I'm seeing right now. I need to make my way over to a church with some of these things. Thank you everyone for all the ❤️.
cowen 10:20 PM 08-30-2017
Great to see the overwhelming help on going. Yet, there's probably another problem Houston has to face. I've seen this report about possible chemical plant explosion from one of the company at Crosby. Lack of power supply to the refrigeration of the facility could lead to an explosion.
Sunchimes 01:57 PM 08-31-2017
Thank you all for caring. Honestly, the most useful thing now is cash for the diapers, cash for the local food banks, and cash for the local animal shelters. They have contacts to get more bang for the buck. But all is appreciated. Just don't forget that it is so much more than Houston proper. Dozens of towns.
Sunchimes 02:04 PM 08-31-2017
They have already started having explosions at the plant. Two today the last I heard.
MarinaVanessa 02:21 PM 08-31-2017
That's the scary part. I've been quietly watching the reports during nap time and it's devastating.
Ariana 03:20 PM 08-31-2017
I don't even want to read the news about it. I am sending money to help and am thankful there are so many good people out there.

My DHs cousin just posted a pic of their sons 6th birthday party. Quiet day at home with a homemade cake. Thank God he at least got to do that today. They are blessed.
Tags:hurricane, hurricane - harvey, texas floods
Reply Up