Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Can I Deduct Homeowners/Daycare Insurance?
legomom922 11:00 AM 02-26-2011
My mortgage payment includes property tax, school , tax and the homeowners insurance, so which elements can I write off? Do I have to get the break down of each charge? I know the mortgage payment (the house itself) I have to depreciate correct? So I'm just unsure what to do with the rest of it.

Also, I had a daycare rider on my homeowners policy, so is that deductable and would it be at 100%?
TomCopeland 01:12 PM 02-27-2011
You can deduct the business portion of all your property taxes on Form 8829. Lump all the taxes together and call them real estate taxes. You do not depreciate your mortgage payments! Instead, you depreciate your home based on its purchase price. So, ignore how much you paid on your mortgage.

You can deduct 100% of your daycare rider on your homeowners insurance policy and the business portion of your homeowners insurance.

Join me this Monday for my webinar "How to Reduce Your Taxes for 2010 and 2011" sponsored by daycare.com. For further info: https://www.daycare.com/news/taxes/t...d-webinar.html
legomom922 05:19 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You can deduct the business portion of all your property taxes on Form 8829. Lump all the taxes together and call them real estate taxes. You do not depreciate your mortgage payments! Instead, you depreciate your home based on its purchase price. So, ignore how much you paid on your mortgage.

You can deduct 100% of your daycare rider on your homeowners insurance policy and the business portion of your homeowners insurance.

Join me this Monday for my webinar "How to Reduce Your Taxes for 2010 and 2011" sponsored by daycare.com. For further info: https://www.daycare.com/news/taxes/t...d-webinar.html
Ok, so we dont claim any of our mortgage payments then? And that is because we depreciate our home?
TomCopeland 09:03 AM 02-28-2011
Correct. You can't count any of your monthly mortgage payments because you are getting this expense when you depreciate your home.
Tags:deduction - insurance, homeowners insurance, tom copeland
Reply Up