Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Uniforms
hoopinglady 11:39 AM 12-02-2011
I've always struggled with the kids' clothes.

Whether it be my not keeping track of whose is what or the parents not dressing the children properly.

I have been considering providing clothes and calling them uniforms. Perhaps little cheap-o sweat suits....possibly even with a logo??

Certainly I would LOVE to (if I were to magically have the money for the initial investment) provide proper outwear particularly gloves and boots.

I really am not interested in "enabling parents to not be responsible". The truth is I am trying to make the children more comfy and my day run more smoothly.

So, if you were to provide uniforms would you keep the clothing here and change them when they arrive. or rather, send uniforms home...possibly charge a fee if lost or something?

Does anyone do anything like this or think it could work?
caring4kidsinSD 11:52 AM 12-02-2011
This would totally solve my issues with those darn jumpers that snap up and down the legs - Takes forever to snap them all back up after diaper changes
kidkair 03:01 PM 12-02-2011
If you want them arriving in the uniform I would suggest you make the parents buy the clothes. The outside clothes could be bought by you and kept with you much easier than every day clothes. Many of my parents leave a set of outdoor clothes here all the time. I know Nannyde has outdoor wear for her kids.
Crazy8 12:09 PM 12-04-2011
I couldn't see ever doing that - I would not want to have to change each child after arrival, would not want to deal with having to launder everything every night and as a parent, I would expect a child to wear the clothes I send them in - would not use a daycare that puts my child in their own clothes.

I've never had an issue with clothing - most come in comfortable play clothes, sometimes girls come a little dressed up - so what? I can pull up tights just like I can pants. I don't worry about what they wear - if they ruin something that is the parents hint that maybe they aren't in proper clothing.
sharlan 02:37 PM 12-04-2011
I wouldn't want my little ones dressed just like everyone else. We operate daycares, not institutions.
Unregistered 02:39 PM 12-04-2011
I can see how uniforms would make the provider's day a bit easier, however from a parent's viewpoint I personally would not use a child care that wanted me to purchase uniforms. I think that it is a bit controling and sort of over stepping boundaries on the provider's part. I do not mean that you ARE being that way, I am only saying how I would feel as the parent.

If I am dressing my child in clothing that is difficult or hard to manage, I would rather my provider came to me and simply said "hey, Susan, would you mind dressing Bailey in some clothing that is not so complicated. When I change his diaper, it is hard for me to get all the little snaps done back up."

I would just feel a little weird as a parent if my daycare provider told me what my child could and couldn't wear, ya know.....

I get that Nannyde uses HER outdoor wear and HER shoes for the kids, but on that same note, I wouldn't be okay with that either but that isn't saying anything at all about her skills as a provider or anything...just that the idea of uniforms would just not be ok for me.
hoopinglady 04:32 AM 12-05-2011
I hadn't thought of it being offensive. I'd thought it may be a bit of a convenience for parents.

In terms of the institutional aspect...I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Maybe the best bet is to continue providing extras for those who need them.
Mommy2One 01:06 PM 12-05-2011
As a parent, I would be a little weirded out if a daycare was changing my child's clothes when they got there. I've never been a big fan of Nanny's tendency to provide some of the clothes/shoes for her kids (but if she were in my area and had an opening I'd probably deal with it in exchange for her level of care). I don't have a specific, explainable reason, just a gut feeling. I guess dressing my daughter is one of the ways that I can "care" for her when I can't be there so making sure she's in clean, comfortable clothing for the day is important to me.

My first preference would be something in the handbook outlining the things you don't want my child to wear (dress shoes, pants with snaps and zippers, etc.) much like a typical school dress code. I would have no problem buying clothes tailored to that and saving the cute jeans for the weekend when I have the time to fasten them.

My second choice would be to purchase the uniforms myself and send my child in them. Many of our local elementary schools, both public and private have implemented uniforms. I don't know if that would solve you problem as I believe the uniforms ususally specifiy a polo shirt of a specific color but allow any style of khaki pants so you could still have all sorts of belts and buckles to deal with.

If you just sent a letter home with the parents explaining the situation would they respond? You could even go to Target or Walmart and find low cost inexpensive items to list as examples that would meet your criteria so they don't feel like they're on an impossible quest. And maybe give them a couple weeks in case they need to buy new outfits.
Tags:providing - supplies
Reply Up