Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>How Much Notice ...
canadian momma 11:46 AM 12-18-2013
So I sent home notes 3 wks back stating I was available throughout Christmas week and new year week... No one came back and said anything about them being off until yesterday I had one mom told me that her child was going to be gone from the 26th till the new year.. Well I give 3 work wk vacations per 12 mth period... She would be using 6 days which they have left but I'm not feelin a wks notice is much for taking 6 days off I always give my parents plenty of notice !! So therefore instead of giving her her 6 days I'm thinking I may only give her half of them seeing I've only gotten a weeks notice... What do most of you expect and do with these instances ??also I charge a flat rate per mth wether there's holidays or not it all evens out because the mths vary is my opinion...Thankyou !!!
Blackcat31 11:54 AM 12-18-2013
Unless you have something written in your contract and/or policies stating that parents have to give you a certain amount of notice for using vacation, I don't think it would be right to charge her.

A lot of providers state in their policies that a minimum of 2 weeks notice must be given when a parent wants to use vacation days.

Some providers do not allow parents to use vacation days during the providers vacation.

Bottom line is, whatever you have in your contract goes. If you have nothing written about it, then I am betting the parent will not be happy.
MarinaVanessa 12:00 PM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Unless you have something written in your contract and/or policies stating that parents have to give you a certain amount of notice for using vacation, I don't think it would be right to charge her.

A lot of providers state in their policies that a minimum of 2 weeks notice must be given when a parent wants to use vacation days.

Some providers do not allow parents to use vacation days during the providers vacation.

Bottom line is, whatever you have in your contract goes. If you have nothing written about it, then I am betting the parent will not be happy.

I agree with BC

If your policies or the notice you sent home says that they needed to tell you within a certain amount of time or by a certain date then perhaps you can explain what it is that you're offering.

If you didn't say anything about minimum notice or your policies don't say anything then I don't see how you can charge them but I would add this to your policies for next time
canadian momma 12:05 PM 12-18-2013
I had a policy book yrs back and it wasn't read and remembered found it to be useless really I verbally have told my parents I like notice and like them do not like surprises I think everyone is an adult n it's just being respectful considerate etc ...
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by canadian momma:
I had a policy book yrs back and it wasn't read and remembered found it to be useless really I verbally have told my parents I like notice and like them do not like surprises I think everyone is an adult n it's just being respectful considerate etc ...
I agree 100%. However, it is really hard to enforce a policy unless you have it in writing and/or proof that the parent agrees.

If you just say "enough advance notice" then that means different things to different people.

What you consider "notice" maybe 3 or 4 weeks notice but to a parent who isn't organized or doesn't look beyond today, anything told to you today in regards to tomorrow is considered notice to them. Know what I mean?

If this mom thinks notice is a couple days and you tell her it's a couple weeks, she may very well decide to leave and find alternate child care arrangements.
MarinaVanessa 12:25 PM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by canadian momma:
But without it being in writing then you don't have a legal way of enforcing your policies especially when it comes to payments.

What if DCM gets peeved and decides she simply isn't going to pay for the time that she is on vacation? How will you enforce this rule? If she flat out refuses then your only other recourse would be to let it go or take her to small claims court and without a written policy that she signs to which shows that she is aware and that she agrees to then even the court wouldn't be able to award you this money.

If you have a handbook and no one reads it, that's their problem not yours. If they sign your contract which says that they have to abide by the handbook policies then it's clear as day regardless of whether or not they actually read it. I would never consider it a waste of time because that is my defense if I ever have to enforce my policies or take someone to court
Reply Up