Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toys (Blocks in Particular)
Francine 03:51 AM 11-12-2010
This might be a seriously stupid question but what kind of blocks do you buy? I know that kids love playing with blocks but what kind do you buy that won't get chewed on and if they do don't get ruined? I have bought the big cardboard ones before from Lillian Vernon that come flat but then you have to fold them up to make the blocks. The kids like them but they are a pain to store and they end up getting chewed on or stood on and smashed.

So I guess my question is "what kind of blocks" for the three and under group do you have?
mommyof3 04:14 AM 11-12-2010
I have the small wooden blocks ,the kids play on the table with them .You can get them at Wal-mart for about $10/12.We also have the big Legos.
AfterSchoolMom 04:19 AM 11-12-2010
I have a set of wooden blocks, duplos, regular legos, lincoln logs, and "sticky bricks". Blocks are very popular around here!
BentleysBands 04:20 AM 11-12-2010
I have small wooden alphabet blocks and the larger size ones ...we also have the larger duplo/mega blocks.

for my mega blocks they r super easy to clean. i put them all in a pillowcase and throw in my washer weekly
SilverSabre25 05:07 AM 11-12-2010
Duplos, small wooden letter blocks, wooden unit blocks (we need more though), bristle blocks. None of these get ruined if chewed.

I am planning on getting a big supply of cardboard blocks secondhand (I see them at Once Upon a Child all the time) and keeping them stored in the closet to bring out only sometimes, to keep them special.
QualiTcare 05:24 AM 11-12-2010
if you're willing to invest 50-100 bucks, and it really is an investment because you'll have the blocks FOREVER, you should buy "unit blocks." they're the old fashioned blocks most schools use - made of real wood. you pretty much have to order them online as far as i know, and EBAY has them reasonably priced. of course it's a lot more appealing to spend 20-30 dollars on cheaper blocks, but you'll end up having to replace them. with these, you won't ever have to replace them. plus, they're the best for learning cus they have all the different shapes which all fit together.
Lilbutterflie 06:01 AM 11-12-2010
We use wooden blocks and mega blocks; and they are popular. But the ONE toy that gets the most use here and is in the category of "building manipulatives" is Kid K'nex. NOT the really tiny K'nex for older kids, but the larger version specifically titled Kid K'nex. They have lots of different animal type sets & car/train sets, etc... OH MY GOSH!!!! I would say over 50% of their indoor play time every single day is spent using our Kid K'nex. They are fairly expensive, but I have found small sets in Dollar General for a reasonable price. And I can't believe how creative even my two year old can get! My 4 yr olds are absolute pros and every day show me their new creations!
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 11-12-2010
I am SUPER lucky in this department...my DH is a cabinet/furniture maker so we have an unlimited supply of great wooden blocks in every shape and size you could imagine!! Wooden blocks are the best because they do last forever, if they do get chewed on, they are easily replaceable. We do not paint them but we do sand them smooth and give the corners a bit of rounded softness. I also have the big lego blocks too.... Great idea BENTLEYSBANDS about tossing them in the pillowcase and washing them in the washing machine....never thought of that. I hand wash in bath tub or have put in dishwasher if really necessary but the pillowcase idea would work for all the little legos too. Now my mind is racing with all the things I could put into pillow cases...Hmmm, guess it just takes a little spark to make a fire!
laundrymom 08:29 AM 11-12-2010
I have these sets,.. and really love them.

http://www.hatchearlychildhood.com/p...2996&cn=Infant _amp_ Toddler&scn=Blocks _amp_ Manipulatives (Infant _amp_ Toddler)

http://www.hatchearlychildhood.com/p...2996&cn=Infant _amp_ Toddler&scn=Blocks _amp_ Manipulatives (Infant _amp_ Toddler)
Tags:blocks, toy blocks, toys
Reply Up