Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do?
SunflowerMama 05:37 AM 03-25-2010
I have a substitute teacher and I watch her son very, very part-time. The first 2 weeks it was 2 days a week and then last week was Spring Break and I haven't had him at all this week.

They paid a $150 (weekly rate) deposit but as it stands owe me for one day of care ($30). It's so sporatic and I'm essentially holding a spot for her and have had interest from other families so I'm not sure what to do.

I would like to terminate their contract and feel that since I didn't have him at all this week that I would be entitled to hold some of the deposit but I'm not really sure. I would rather get someone in the spot that will be more consistent. I'm ok with part-time but I'd prefer to know the days (M,F,W, etc.) so I can better plan my week.

What does everyone think? How would I word a termination notice?
momma2girls 05:44 AM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I have a substitute teacher and I watch her son very, very part-time. The first 2 weeks it was 2 days a week and then last week was Spring Break and I haven't had him at all this week.

They paid a $150 (weekly rate) deposit but as it stands owe me for one day of care ($30). It's so sporatic and I'm essentially holding a spot for her and have had interest from other families so I'm not sure what to do.

I would like to terminate their contract and feel that since I didn't have him at all this week that I would be entitled to hold some of the deposit but I'm not really sure. I would rather get someone in the spot that will be more consistent. I'm ok with part-time but I'd prefer to know the days (M,F,W, etc.) so I can better plan my week.

What does everyone think? How would I word a termination notice?
I have several families ask me if I will switch days every week for them, as their schedule is not consitant. I used to do this about 5 yrs. ago, it just got way too much!! On the Holiday weeks, or my vac. weeks, they would just switch around the days so she would not have to pay me any Holidays or vac. days. I have it in my contract now, the days of the week must be specified as well.
mac60 05:55 AM 03-25-2010
I would tell her she must give you a schedule 2 weeks out of what days she needs, or else offer her a pt rate (if you have them) that she must pay whether they are there 1 day or 3 days.
Former Teacher 06:14 AM 03-25-2010
The suggestions are all good. What we would do at the center was tell the parent that since we were getting alot of calls etc, they would be given the option of going full time. If they declined then they would be known as a drop in and pay the drop in rate.

We had special rules for drop ins. The spot is not guaranteed. They must call AT LEAST 24 hours in advance (even if it is set days). Cash only due at the time of drop off. No pay no stay. Also they must arrive before 10:00 to be accepted (enrolled kiddos can come in anytime)

Your parent is in a sticky position. Since she is only a sub she really doesn't need a full time spot. However then again if she needs care she may just pay for it. You can spice up the deal and tell her that even if she works 2 days, she can still bring the child the rest of the week since she is already paying for it.

Keep us posted!
momofboys 06:22 AM 03-25-2010
I would say she needs to pay for a spot, even if it is just a guaranteed of 2-3 days a week. Otherwise it is not profitable for you if you have to turn others down.
Tags:substitute, terminate
Reply Up